Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-06-2011, 08:41 PM   #1 
GrimlockDESTROY

PetSmart Rescue, Please Help!

Ok I was in PetSmart today, looking around with my girlfriend and I happen to see this guy. Now to me it doesn't look like he has Fin Rot, I know about betta fish as I have raised them before, to me it looks like he has nipped his own fins almost off possibly from depression.

He was labeled as a Half Moon betta , but when I picked up his NASTY bowl he was in, i saw about 6 uneaten food pellets at the bottom and he was swimming around in his own waste, terrible!

In between his 2 front pelvic fins i see a small white bulge between them, this little guy is perky though and swims around a lot, My guess would be constipation but I am no expert although I do have a good deal of knowledge about them, this one puzzles me.

He will swim down no problem but stays mostly at the top so he can breathe, Judging by the amount of food in his nasty little container I do assume it is constipation. I hope you can see and tell from the pictures I have posted. This is NOT what a Half Moon Betta should look like and I will do everything I can to save this little guy.

Right now i have him in a hospital 1.5 gallon with a filter & heater, no gravel though, and I have added the correct amount of Aquarium Salt, But please if you have any suggestions as to what this small bulge may be i would appreciate it.

GrimlockDESTROY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 08:43 PM   #2 
EverythingNice55

Ooohhh! Such a beautiful betta! Nice save! <3
EverythingNice55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 08:46 PM   #3 
masshiimarro

he could be a bit bloated. seeing how they fed him so much, i can imagine.. what does his poop look like?
masshiimarro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 09:03 PM   #4 
GrimlockDESTROY

Quote:
Originally Posted by masshiimarro View Post
he could be a bit bloated. seeing how they fed him so much, i can imagine.. what does his poop look like?
That's the problem, i haven't seen him poop yet I bought him about 7 hours ago, which is why I believe it's constipation.
Old 08-06-2011, 09:12 PM   #5 
masshiimarro

Well mine poop like once or twice a day XD i know this only cuz im QTing him so i see everything lol. Give him some time. Sometimes it takes a while for food to process thru. When u do see normal poop its like a mini cinnamon roll.
masshiimarro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 09:27 PM   #6 
bettaboyshiva

@GrimlockDESTROY, brave move, i suggest you add aquarium salt and some fungus guard..and yes look at the faeces..if it looks stringy its probably internal parasites...the faeces should be short and thick for a heathy betta...i believe stress coat will help with the rejuvenation of the finnage...although few bettas grow back their finnage back to their original shape.. thats just some quick tips for ya ..
bettaboyshiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 10:50 PM   #7 
GrimlockDESTROY

OK the little guy just used the bathroom and yep his poop looks like a small cinnamon roll lol, I do believe it's constipation, so I may just fast him until monday and see what happens.
Old 08-06-2011, 11:30 PM   #8 
hodgepodgen

To me it looks like a female.

The white spot sounds like the egg spot. The bloatedness sounds like eggs. And the ventral fins look way too short to be a male's.

But it does have fin rot so keep up the treatment.
hodgepodgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 11:41 PM   #9 
GrimlockDESTROY

Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgepodgen View Post
To me it looks like a female.

The white spot sounds like the egg spot. The bloatedness sounds like eggs. And the ventral fins look way too short to be a male's.

But it does have fin rot so keep up the treatment.

I honestly did believe this was/is a female also, judging by how short the ventral fins are, and it just has that face of a female ya know lol, leave it to petsmart to label things correctly

If it is a female though , then she will be happily accepted and i will treat her no different than my 2 boys, but yeah in between the 2 ventral fins is a small white bulge, sometimes i will look and for a second or 2 the fish will be on it's side, then when it sees me it will straighten back out again.

I have the hospital tank set up with aquarium salt and stress coat so I will see how it goes, his/her stress line is not as dark as it was when i came home and put him/her in though.

Male or Female though, nobody else would have bought this fish and it needed help, luckily I just happen to have a spare tank :)

Last edited by GrimlockDESTROY; 08-06-2011 at 11:44 PM.
Old 08-07-2011, 05:57 AM   #10 
Tikibirds

awwh, poor girl :(
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote