Pataflafla

Staying at Bottom After Water Change

Housing
What size is your tank? 10
What temperature is your tank? 78-84
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? Divided twice to fit 3 males bettas

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Topfin Color enhancing Pellets, Freeze-dried bloodworms, sun dried krill
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2-3 pellets twice a day, one small piece of krill once a day (Not if they've had pellets), 1-2 bloodworms twice a day (Not if they've had pellets) with fasting on friday and as needed

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Once a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 95%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Aquasafe Water Conditioner

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? No
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? All three went to the bottom immediately while breathing heavily after they were acclimated and released into their portions. Ratchet still has not come up that I can see, Yorick and Moonshoes have come up but are hesitant
When did you start noticing the symptoms? As soon as I put them in the tank
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? No treatment, just giving them time to maybe calm down
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Ratchet has a history of getting ick with any new stresses and just recently went through a round of ick treatment 1 day ago
How old is your fish (approximately)? I've had Ratchet for approx 2 months, Yorick for 1 month, and Moonshoes for 1 month

The water has been from the same source since I have owned them, and I have not added anything new to the tank in a few weeks. Before the change and while they were in their cups for the change they were fine and active, but now Ratchet is worrying me the most since he immediately sunk down to the bottom and stayed on his side while breathing heavily. They're all at their usual sleeping areas now, but I don't like to see such bad reactions to water changes.

Should I do smaller water changes more frequently during the week? This is the first time this has ever happened, and the other fish that I did water changes on did not have this reaction at all. I did not opur them from their cups, but waited for them to swim out on their own.

Everyone seems fine now, but I'll be keeping a very close eye on them through the night.

Last edited by Pataflafla; 08-08-2011 at 01:15 AM.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 03:31 AM   #2 
Pataflafla

Everyone seems to be ok now, but I'm just concerned with how bloated they are. It's probably just food from dinner, but I think I'll fast them tomorrow, and if there's no improvement by evening time, I'll qt them with epsom salt.
Old 08-08-2011, 04:00 AM   #3 
Sakura8

If Ratchet just had ick, maybe he should have been QTed a little longer before joining the others. :/ I hope you don't get an ick outbreak, ick sucks. Let me know how they all are, I'm rooting for them.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 04:07 AM   #4 
Pataflafla

I caught his ick early. He always gets it on his head, so it's very obvious, and I treated the whole tank a precaution. I've had an outbreak when the tank was just divided once, but it cleared up fairly quickly. He technically got it a day and a night ago and got medication then, but it was late at night when I noticed it. Used Jungle Labs Ick Clear and it always seems to get rid of it in 24 hours.

He's acting fine now and looks fine. I just gave myself a freak out because his belly is a reddish color and bloated, but then I looked at pictures of him where his belly is isn't blocked, and that's what color it normally is.

Still going to fast them tomorrow as a precaution. I don't think they have parasites or it would have shown already. Not to mention that Ratchet and Yorick have been treated for parasites 3 times because of Frog, so I think that would clear it up since they don't seem to be immuno compromised like Frog.
Old 08-08-2011, 04:08 AM   #5 
Pataflafla

Also, he was with everyone when he got it (still divided but sharing water). Forgot to mention that.
Old 08-08-2011, 04:10 AM   #6 
Sakura8

Oh, phew. I should have known you'd have it all under control, Pataflafla. You're a good betta parent.
Old 08-08-2011, 04:15 AM   #7 
Pataflafla

I watch my babies like a hawk and freak out when they don't look like they did when I last checked on them. I'm almost 100% positive that everyone is fine, but I'm still going to be paranoid. ratchet's back to sleeping on top of his orange plant, Yorick is sleeping huddled up to the divider, and Moonshoes lost his sleeping plant to Mirage, so he's sleeping on the next highest pant/heater.

Gotta find another tall plant for Moonshoes so he can rest easy and to provide a little more top cover for him. He's only got small and medium plants right now, but Mirage needed a little more than a small cave. I might see if the dollar store has anything of interest that I could safely use for him.
Old 08-08-2011, 04:19 AM   #8 
Sakura8

Ah yes, dollar stores. What would we do without them. I have one right behind my house.

And I'm like you, I'm a very worried parent. But it's good, being worried helps us catch those little problems before they get to be big, untreatable problems.
Old 08-08-2011, 04:23 AM   #9 
Pataflafla

It does, it does. I'm glad I'm so paranoid, but it's also stressful and I keep getting more boys to worry over. I'm stopping myself at 4 because that's all I have room for, and even then, 2 of them are in less than 2 gallons. One's in a 1.5 gallon and the other is in a 1 gallon kritter keeper. those will probably be transitional for them and ratchet will be switched to the 1.5 since he's so aggressive. It'll be safer for the other in the long run just in case a divider goes awry, as mine aren't the sturdiest, but get the job done.

Closest dollar store to my house is a few minutes drive away, and I have no idea what they have at all, but I'll probably be heading over that way to help out with my high school marching band sometime in the future and may just stop then.
Old 08-08-2011, 04:27 AM   #10 
Sakura8

Haha, yes, tell yourself you're stopping at 4. That's what I said and I'm staying steady at 11.