Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-08-2011, 09:50 AM   #1 
BetterBetta

Growout Tanks

I am doing research on breeding, and although I currently don't have the time or money, I'm hoping I will one day and seize it without hesitation. That being said, I have a few questions.
  • If you breed in a ten gallon, how big should the growout be?
  • If you somehow end up with a verrry small amount of fry, do you have to have a growout tank?
  • Could the growout be like a large storage tupperware bigger than the ten gallon?
I just wanna make sure that I have all my info right to go and buy the supplies, and start conditioning! Unfortunatly I don't see myself breeding untill Christmas due to money, but it's always good to be prepared, right? Thanks!
BetterBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 10:15 AM   #2 
PitGurl

Every breeder has different things that work for them, I don't think there is any right or wrong way. This is my plan...as far as spawning is concerned the smaller the better. I spawn in a 2.5 gallon tank and then move my fry to a grow out around a week old. You can also spawn in shallow feed tubs used for livestock. I get alot of my spawning supplies from Tractor Supply. For growouts the bigger the better. You can use those storage containers but they have a tendency to bow out when filled with water. The tubs with rope handles work well, they're around 19 gallons.
PitGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 12:58 AM   #3 
Eziekel

i think it depends on the number of fry you have. fry are picky, if you use a tupperware container, make sure it closes to keep moisture in. otherwise, i would just the 10 gallon tank.
Eziekel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 02:53 AM   #4 
hmboyz

ten! :)
hmboyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 06:50 PM   #5 
1fish2fish

IME you need something bigger than a 10 gallon for grow out unless you have a VERY small number of fry (and if your spawn is that small why not jar and protect their fins from potential nipping?). Even with only 13 fry in a 12 gallon tank I didn't get the growth I wanted (although other factors played a roll in that).

I personally wouldn't go with anything less than 20 for a grow out. For a large spawn you might want to split the spawn into many grow outs.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote