Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-08-2011, 11:25 AM   #1 
Comet1993

Unhappy =[ Concerned...

Housing
What size is your tank? Ten gallons (With gravel and such, eight gallons.).
What temperature is your tank? About seventy-six degrees.
Does your tank have a filter? Yes, but I don't run it all of the time; I've temporarily shut it off until I can make a baffle for it. I've turned it on a few times, but only when I can supervise him with it.
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? It does have a bubble wand; like the filter, I was concerned that it was too strong. So, I only turn it on periodically for a little while. I'm going to get a gang valve for it today, hoping that will make it a little less strong.
Is your tank heated? Yes.
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? He's the only one in the tank.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? I've been feeding him flakes, but I'm switching to pellets today.
How often do you feed your betta fish? Once a day; I'm concerned about overfeeding him, since it's so hard to tell with the flakes.

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? I've only had him about three or four days. I'm going to perform one once a week.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? I'll be changing fifty percent of the water.
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? I add BettaSafe water conditioner; it's supposed to "neutraliz[e] harmful chlorine, chloramines and heavy metals in tap water and ad[d] a protective slim coating".

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: I ran out of strips for ammonia; have to get those today, too!
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
pH: Kind of hard to read... Between 7.2 and 7.8.
Hardness: Closest to 150 ppm.
Alkalinity: Once again, difficult to read... Probably between 120 ppm and 180 ppm...

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? He has small "patches" on his face. They're red; I'm not sure if that's just some of his coloring or if it's a symptom of something being wrong...
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? He has began opening his mouth while underwater (not just while getting air). I'm not sure if that's a sign of aggression or not (He did attack one of his plants..). Also, after he gets air from the top, very tiny little bubbles come up.. Does this mean he's losing his air??
When did you start noticing the symptoms? I noticed a little color change yesterday (lighter than the rest of his head). This morning, I noticed that it was red. I just noticed the behavior symptoms today, although I noticed that he would "emit bubbles" when he ate earlier..
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? No, I have not, as I'm not sure if this is an ailment or something normal...
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Not that I'm aware of, but he's from Walmart.. So, he was kept in pretty bad condition, but not as bad as some of the other fish. He was still fairly active and had nice fins..
How old is your fish (approximately)? I'm not sure.. He's still fairly small.. I'd say anywhere from six months to a year?
Comet1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 11:29 AM   #2 
dragonflie

In all honesty; based on your description of his behavior, it sounds as if he is acting normally.

Red patches sound like natural coloring; but to be more sure, could you get a clear picture up of him?

Some color change with a new betta is to be expected, especially when coming from poor conditions. They can fade when under stress; and it might be your guy is just coloring back up so to speak, now that he is removed from that environment.

But again, pictures always help! :)
dragonflie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 11:31 AM   #3 
youlovegnats

The red patches might be from ammonia poisoning from being at Walmart- but It might also just be his coloring.

You'll want to keep the filter on 24/7 so the tank can cycle and you won't have to do such a huge water change once a week. (you'd be doing 20% once a week with a cycled tank). You don't need a bubble wand- as bettas have organs that allow them to take oxygen from the air and not the water.
The "emitting bubbles" was probably just him getting rid of the air in his mouth before he swallowed his food- nothing to worry about :)
If you could get a pic of him, I could see if his coloring is a problem or not.
youlovegnats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 11:42 AM   #4 
Comet1993

I've been trying desperately to get some good pictures of him, but he moves around too much. =[ Is it normal for the ventral portion of his head (in front of the ventral fins; his "chin") to be a paler color than the rest of his head?
Old 08-08-2011, 11:43 AM   #5 
youlovegnats

It really depends on the betta's coloring.
youlovegnats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 11:46 AM   #6 
Comet1993

There were a few other things about him that concerned me, as well, but I posted them on a different thread (Maybe the wrong forum..).
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=77381
I have noticed his coloring change a lot since I've gotten him..
Old 08-08-2011, 11:52 AM   #7 
dragonflie

Even in your other post, it sounds as if he is acting pretty normally. :)

While I won't say there definitely isn't a problem, based on the information you've provided it doesn't feel like there is as of yet.

Is he a solid color? Or was it always rather mottled? Their colors might brighten up as they are moved to a healthier environment from the store; or he may be a marble. Marbles change color over time and can end up looking like completely different fish. ;) There is at least one thread in this forum with examples of before and after photos; not only of marbles, but also of how much they can change when they are kept happy. If I find it I'll edit my post with the link.

Here it is: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=74216
dragonflie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 11:56 AM   #8 
Comet1993

He seems to have three basic colors on him. He has the black on his head that gradually fades into a blue and becomes almost silver-ish at his fins, if you look at it in the right light.. He also has white on the tips of his ventral fins, which are mostly a bright red (I didn't notice that until his second day with me.). The parts of his larger fins are a peach-ish color closest to his body. He looks a lot like the royal blue and steel blue bettas I've seen on this site.