Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-08-2011, 02:29 PM   #1 
Vizja13

Renovating the betta-in-a-vase

Confused by the title? It's spposed to be a joke, probably a bad one

I had a glass vase I won at a dog show sitting in the top of my closet...don't freak out I DID NOT put my fish in it

Instead, I DIY'd it into a tank decoration!!! Since the divided tank incident, Jazz is getting his own tall hexagon tank, and I needed to find a cheap way to decorate it.

I cleaned up the vase and burried the base in gravel, a little bit back from center of the tank. As soon as I can, I will be buying some new fake plants to plant around it...as well as one to plant IN it. (fill it with rocks/gravel and put a fake plant in it) this way, Jazz has a way to rest near the top of the unfortunately tall tank, but still has plenty of space and a tastefull decoration

My questions are these: Is this setup okay for a single male betta with no other fish? (May POSSIBLY add a snail or other algea eater if algea becomes an issue, although it shouldn't) And does a single male betta NEED a cave? With a small base area, I don't know if I can fit a cave as well as the plants to give tall shelter.
Vizja13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 09:02 PM   #2 
Sivan

Hello there!

It is perfectly fine to have a male betta live alone. In fact, many people do just that and depending on the size, filtration, cycling, etc., of your tank, you may or may not be able to have betta friendly companions at all. It is good to give a betta a cave because it installs a feeling of safety for your new friend and they like places to hide. It is a de-stresser and must have in my opinion.
Sivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 09:17 AM   #3 
Grundylady

As for a cave - I have tried 4 different caves for my Bo - he won't go near one. He does, however, like to hide between the filter and the glass in the space made by the suction cups. So I guess that is his makeshift cave.

Anyway, my point is - if your fis is used to having a cave he will miss it and if not then he will probably be fine with just the plants to hide in.
Grundylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 09:58 AM   #4 
Vizja13

Right now his quarantine tank is pretty bare, but he alwas hid under a rock in his old tank. So, I guess he needs a cave XP I found an old glass jar, can I use that?

My biggest problem is that my parents ddon't want me spending any more money on "those stupid fish" as they call them. So, even getting the heater, filter bag, and possibly new light is an issue, and I have no clue where I am getting plants from.

Anyone have any good DIY tips?
Vizja13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 10:12 AM   #5 
CoverMeInClay

One thing I'm actually doing is with those half flattened marbles that you can find in craft stores for way cheaper then the pet stores, I'm using an aquarium safe epoxy and making some decorative hiding places for my tank set up. You can get a bag of those and get creative in making a cave for him. It does take time as you have to let the expoxy set up between layers once you get a little height to it. Here is a pic of those marbel thingies just to let you know what my vague description was of. ^_^
Attached Images

CoverMeInClay is offline   Reply With Quote