Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-13-2011, 01:28 AM   #1 
crezelda

is this safe to do, or will it stress him? (feeding issues)

so my betta learned he likes cory food.
i tried everything.
feeding him at the same time
lights off
hiding the food
he finds it, and bloats right up before the cories can even nibble

normally i just take flake and submerge it so most sinks so the cories have a chance, but thats causing an oil film

so im stuck to giving my boy a time-out in a teeny KK for an hour or so at a time while the cories eat every few days. i put a dark coloured cloth overtop and that seems to keep him from jumping vs when i had him in an oppaque bowl.
i just worry the continued stress will get the better of him
crezelda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 01:33 AM   #2 
Loralyn94

I dont see why this would be a problem, as I'm guessing the stress and pain from bloating would be worse than having to spend small amounts of time in the cup. Plus you have to think, people have to take there bettas out and put them in the little cups when they do 100% water changes daily because they only have a 1 gallon tank and there fish are fine. As well as for several days until the bettas are sold they live permanently in those little cups.

EDIT: By saying that last part, I am in no way saying that it is alright for them to live in those little cups, I am just saying that they have to and arent happy about it but it is just temporary.
Loralyn94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 01:39 AM   #3 
crezelda

okay.
i was reading in the breeding part, that keeping them in small jars helps to grow big fins, whats people's opinion on that?
Old 08-13-2011, 05:46 AM   #4 
Hallyx
Reference Team

You might try getting some of that plastic mesh that some members use to divide tanks. Use it to fence your Betta off from the cats when you feed them.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 10:24 AM   #5 
dragonflie

You said you fed with the lights off, but do you feed them at night when he is sleeping?

Cories are for the most part nocturnal when it comes to food (though they won't turn down a meal during the day). Wait until your betta is asleep, as late at night as you can stay awake to feed the cories, when everything is dark. They use their barbels to find food, so they don't need to see it at all.

I know they're not all the same; but my bettas are dead to the world when they are sleeping. I don't think they'd notice if a truck ran through my apartment. I have to do the same thing with feeding my cories in their tank; because I have a C.Siamensus that tends to hoard food. He sleeps just as soundly, and the cories get a meal just for themselves. ;)
dragonflie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 04:29 PM   #6 
crezelda

lol my betta looks pretty dead when he sleeps, but he keeps an eye open in truth XD
Old 08-13-2011, 04:36 PM   #7 
Littlebittyfish

What I do is..I open the top of the tank...then I grab up some bloodworms with tweezers or betta pellets..and I feed my betta really slowly..sometimes I make him chase my fingers with the food for a little bit..while im doing that I take my other hand and sink down some frozenbloodworms or sinking pellets for the corydoras.
Cutting the sinking pellets in half helps too.. It makes them smaller and quicker for the corydoras to eat.
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 04:57 PM   #8 
crezelda

i already cut em in half since i only got 3 of em, and even after an hour a full one is still there
Old 08-15-2011, 05:03 PM   #9 
CoverMeInClay

If he stays awake wheneve food is near and you're worried about the cup you could get a breeding net, then he would have more room to wiggle, but wouldn't be able to get at the cory food.
CoverMeInClay is offline   Reply With Quote