Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-05-2011, 12:42 PM   #1 
freeflow246

Is sea salt safe for bettas?

My first thought is no, but here's why I ask:
I had to get aquarium salt to treat my betta's fin rot and inflamed gill, and once I was at the store it took me ages to find it. I finally see a shelf with different salts on it. I knew that coral salt was not what I needed, and I didn't need marine salt either (looking back I realize that marine salt and sea salt are likely the same thing, but I was in a hurry and salt has always come from the ocean right?). I grabbed a small box labeled 'Instant Ocean Sea Salt" by Instant Ocean.
So I get home and put 1 tsp of the salt in a gallon of water that I had sitting out at room temp, and last night I put him into it. However, I read somewhere this morning that marine salt is bad for bettas, since it usually has additional chemicals in it. In a panic, I scoured my box, but there is no list of ingredients anywhere. I checked on my fish, and he was fine. In fact, better than yesterday. His gill looks a lot better and his fins aren't as bloody.
So as of now, it's been somewhere between 14-16 hrs since I put him into his salty water. He's not going to start having problems, is he? I read some horror stories about marine salt giving bettas burns.
freeflow246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 01:10 PM   #2 
Sivan

NO SEA SALT. A betta is a FRESH WATER fish not a salt water fish. He should be fine but watch him for a while.
Sivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 02:21 PM   #3 
freeflow246

I will keep a very close eye on him. First sign of trouble I'll take him out. :)
Old 08-05-2011, 04:00 PM   #4 
PewPewPew

So long as the salt is non-iodized and has no anti-caking agents, its fine to use...

Whether or not that applies to that salt, I dont know.

Bettas CAN live with salt, while being treated...usually no more than 3tsp/gallon of water. No more than 10 days to avoid internal damage..
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 05:42 PM   #5 
freeflow246

Nothing on the box says anything about caking or added chemicals, so I think it's safe. I've been adding a teeny bit less than 1 tsp/gal anyway, just to be sure.
On the plus side, his colors have been getting better. I dunno why, but I'm not complaining. :P
Old 08-05-2011, 05:55 PM   #6 
PewPewPew

That's good to hear! Btw- canning salts, ice cream salts and even regular salt PROVIDED they have no anti caking agents and are non-iodized can be used.

Same as AQ salt :) Usually its recommended just to use AQ because its easy to use something harmful, but the others are fine.
Old 08-06-2011, 01:12 PM   #7 
freeflow246

Thanks! I'll keep that in mind the next time I need to buy salt for a sick fish. Although this box is probably going to last me quite a while.
Old 08-08-2011, 06:47 PM   #8 
PewPewPew

They usually do, yes. I had a baggie full and it lasted a long time. Its always good to have!