Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-12-2011, 05:01 PM   #11 
Oldfishlady

The dechlorinator that you are using for chlorine, chloramine and ammonia-changes the ammonia to ammonium-the test product can't tell the difference...ammonium is harmless to the fish but can still be used by the nitrifying bacteria for the nitrogen cycle.....

At this point I would go ahead and start him on a aquarium salt 1tsp/gal, tannins along with 100% daily water changes for 10 days...

Premix the treatment water in a 1gal jug of dechlorinated water-Add aquarium salt 1tsp/gal and tannins-either IAL or Oak leaf...let this premixed treatment water sit for 30min-1hr for the tannins to release and salt to dissolve...shake well before use and use this water for 100% daily water changes while he is in QT for the next 5 days

I would make 50% water changes every hour for 2 hours to start and then start the 100% tomorrow and count that as day 1

Your goal water temp is 76-77F.....

Nutrition-a good quality varied diet fed in small frequent meals and if you have access to mosquito larva-offer several rinsed larva once a day for one of the meals.....

What all chemicals have you added to the main tank, what are the water prams of your source water or water used for the tank.

If you have a water softener unit on the tap water-bypass it for the water used with the fish and use proper amount of only One dechlorinating product....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 05:12 PM   #12 
earthworm88

Does having a pH of 8 raise a red flag here, OFL?
earthworm88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 01:28 AM   #13 
cherrybello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
The dechlorinator that you are using for chlorine, chloramine and ammonia-changes the ammonia to ammonium-the test product can't tell the difference...ammonium is harmless to the fish but can still be used by the nitrifying bacteria for the nitrogen cycle.....

At this point I would go ahead and start him on a aquarium salt 1tsp/gal, tannins along with 100% daily water changes for 10 days...

Premix the treatment water in a 1gal jug of dechlorinated water-Add aquarium salt 1tsp/gal and tannins-either IAL or Oak leaf...let this premixed treatment water sit for 30min-1hr for the tannins to release and salt to dissolve...shake well before use and use this water for 100% daily water changes while he is in QT for the next 5 days

I would make 50% water changes every hour for 2 hours to start and then start the 100% tomorrow and count that as day 1

Your goal water temp is 76-77F.....

Nutrition-a good quality varied diet fed in small frequent meals and if you have access to mosquito larva-offer several rinsed larva once a day for one of the meals.....

What all chemicals have you added to the main tank, what are the water prams of your source water or water used for the tank.

If you have a water softener unit on the tap water-bypass it for the water used with the fish and use proper amount of only One dechlorinating product....
I got Aquarium salt on hand, so its all good, the issue I have now is the IAL or oak leaf, I live in Queensland it might be too warm for oaks, and we have a very strict customs quarantine in Australia so I doubt I can import IAL leaves. Is there any other good source of tannin in case I can't find oak leaves?

I have yet to test the source water for parameters (from a Brita filter jug), but in the main tank, Cycle has been added, also the API betta water treatment... that's it. Only one type of dechlorinating product, check.

I have a few types of food for my betta, the API pellets, freeze dried bloodworms, and some finer ground betta food. Mozzie larvae, is it safe to use if I let some water sit around for mozzies to lay eggs in?
cherrybello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 10:51 AM   #14 
Oldfishlady

Bypass the Brita water and stop all the other chemical additives except for 1 dechlorinating product....

If you don't have any oak trees in your area to collect leaves.....in a pinch you can use decaf green tea....its limited to just tanning the water for stress...but that is a start.....too bad you don't have oak trees....my oak trees drop leave year around...you also have a blackwater extract you can usually get at pet shops....but I have never used it and don't know much about it either.....something you could check out.....
Old 08-28-2011, 10:18 AM   #15 
cherrybello

Thank you very much OFL, I put my fish in a mixture of black water extract and aquarium salt in a Qt container, he is now back in his tank, active and moving about, built a bubble nest and even flared at my finger like a healthy lil fella.
cherrybello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 02:00 PM   #16 
Oldfishlady

Your welcome and good to hear he is getting better-thanks for the up-date.......