Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-08-2011, 03:39 PM   #1 
Comet1993

Smile My First Filter Baffle!

So, I went out today and bought a big polyfiber filter pad to baffle my filter. =] I'm planning on using it like a "sponge baffle" that I saw here earlier, because I'm afraid that the sharp edges of the bottle may harm my fish. Also, I think I'm going to cut a small circle of the polyfiber filter pad and put it up the "intake" part of the filter, in case the pull there is too strong. What do you all think? Should this help, or will it impede the filter's capabilities? And do I need to put the pads in dechlorinated tap water first? Or should I just go ahead and put them in the filter? Thanks!
Comet1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 04:01 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Sounds like a good plan.....just watch the flow-the filter pad on the intake may slow it down a lot or make the impeller work harder......just watch it and keep it cleaned....depending on how much debris is in the tank-it may or may not get clogged up pretty fast.....

You should only need to give it a rinse in some water before use.....wring out pretty good....the dechlorinator in the tank should take care of any residue or if its time for a water change...rinse it off in the removed water or even treated replacement water.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 04:50 PM   #3 
Comet1993

Thanks! =] I put it where the water flows out, and it's working well. It's now a gentle ripple instead of a huge waterfall with bubbles. Lol. It made a horrible noise, though, when I put the little piece in the intake. =/ I don't want Turbo's fins to get caught in it.. But the filter pad seems to clog it too much and prevent enough water for getting in it. =[
Old 08-09-2011, 12:14 AM   #4 
PewPewPew

I have the same issue and use short fake plants and a little bit of plastic wrap wrapped around it. I keep it mostly inside of the little cap that leads up to the filter's intake. That way, my fish's fins arent gonna get too sucked up or sucked up at all, it slows, but doesnt slow too much or damage the intake.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 12:37 PM   #5 
Comet1993

I like that idea. I may try it. =] I do have some plants around the intake that partially cover the small slits in it.. Maybe that helps some?
Old 08-10-2011, 12:42 PM   #6 
PewPewPew

It may well help, yeah :) I used fake silk leaves from a craft store. Their broadness covers the slits and go up a bit into the intake at the same time.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 04:01 PM   #7 
Comet1993

Luckily, I have a craft store nearby! Right across from where I work. =)