Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-10-2011, 06:48 PM   #1 
Betta Newbie22

Hiding Spot in a 1.5 Gallon Aquarium

I have one of my betta's in a 1.5 gallon Fishbowl. Don't worry i'm upgrading them soon to a divided ten gallon with the works, Filter heater The whole nine yards. Anyway I'd like to put something small in there for him to be able to hide in but still have enough room to swim around and come up for air. My question is Can I use a little plastic cup for him? Or is there anything else around the house I could use as a make shift Cave? Or should I just leave it alone till I upgrade his tank and get him a cave then? Thanks in advance for the Help. :)
Betta Newbie22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 07:12 PM   #2 
Draug Isilme

I'm not really an expert and am trying to upgrade myself. The one I'm trying to upgrade from is also a 1.5g ^.^ I don't see why a plastic cup wouldn't be doable 'cause even if it doesn't look like the greatest thing, I recall that bettas need something to hide in or they'll get stressed out. I had a small plastic tree stump thing with bits of fake plants on it.. it has two openings so the betta can swim in and out, and it is small, but has enough room for the fish to turn around in.. My betta loved it xD he'd swim through it alot and sleep on top of it.. but yeah, it still had room for the fish to swim through and around, up, down, wherever, with room to spare. I don't think you'll have any problem with the cup and you might wanna have one with two openings like my tree stump did and make sure its not the kind of cup that'll cut or tear the fishes fins.
Draug Isilme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 07:22 PM   #3 
Betta Newbie22

Yea sounded like a good idea at the time but after trying it i dont think im gonna do it.. i might judt wait till i get him a bigger tank and buy an actual cave
Old 08-10-2011, 07:25 PM   #4 
Draug Isilme

You could probably get a styrofoam cup instead. Lay it on its side and use the substrate at the bottom to help weigh it down. That way it won't cut the fish and it'll still have a place to hide
Old 08-10-2011, 07:26 PM   #5 
Draug Isilme

Oh, and you'll be able to make it as long or as short as it needs to be easier than you would be able to with plastic
Old 08-10-2011, 07:36 PM   #6 
Betta Newbie22

Ahh thanks I was actually Looking at one of those but wasnt sure how i would pull it off :)
Old 08-10-2011, 08:11 PM   #7 
Draug Isilme

No prob ^.^ Hope it works out!
Old 08-10-2011, 09:10 PM   #8 
crezelda

coffe mugs are cheap at thrift stores, and i heard someone say thier betta was doing loops thru the handle lol
crezelda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 09:19 PM   #9 
Draug Isilme

xD That's cute! Kinda makes me wanna stick a coffee mug in my tank and see if I get the same results.
Old 08-10-2011, 09:32 PM   #10 
LittleBettas

Yup, coffee mugs work wonders!
I have a coffee mug in my one gallon QT tank, my male betta Chile LOVES hiding in it, I had one in my 5 gallon with King and he enjoyed doing loops through the handle

Thats Chile's head popping out... lol

LittleBettas is offline   Reply With Quote