Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-09-2011, 05:51 PM   #1 
Vaughan06

10 Gallon Tank: What Will I Need?

I plan to eventually buy a 10 gallon tank so my Betta can move out of his small 2.5 home. I already have a heater, but this will be my first REAL tank.

Do I clean it like the 2.5? (1/4 water change a week)

Or will I need to get a filter + other sophisticated things?
Vaughan06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 09:35 AM   #2 
kathstew

I would get a filter, unless you want to be doing the water changes alot. Its a lot of lifting and carrying around buckets of water. With a filter, you'd cycle it to get beneficial bacteria, which in turn, reduces the amount of water changes you need to do. Here is a helpful sticky about cycling: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=47838 If you cycle (and its reccomended) you should get a testing kit, that can test for ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates.
If you want gravel, you need about 1 pound of gravel per gallon, so 10 pounds of gravel. And decorations! Lots o' decorations; plants, hidey holes etc.
A siphon is very helpful, its like a hose that sucks up all the water. Makes things SO much easier, I love my siphon, and can't do a water change without it!
That's all I can think of for now!
kathstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 12:55 PM   #3 
PewPewPew

Just to add, the heater that is in your 2.5 gallon will not suffice and work correctly in your 10 gallon :)
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 01:19 PM   #4 
Comet1993

You will need a heater, a filter (You may want to watch this for a while, because it may create a miniature current, even if it says it's for your size aquarium. If it does, you may want to baffle it.), a thermometer, decorations, substrate (if you wish), a test kit (Liquid test kits are more expensive, but they work well. =]), and a siphon is very helpful. In addition to this, a special aquarium stand may be something that you want to consider. A gallon of water weighs about ten pounds. So, a ten-gallon tank would weigh about one-hundred pounds. Shocking, right? So, be sure that whatever you put your tank on can handle that weight, and I'd suggest placing the tank where you want it before beginning to fill it up with water. Lol.
Good luck! =]
Comet1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 08:09 PM   #5 
flowerslegacy

A 10 gal is surely an upgrade in fishkeeping experience. All the items listed above by the others is what you'll need. Very important aspect is the weight and placement of your 10 gal as Comet1993 mentioned! As PewPewPew stated, your current heater is too small. You'll need at least a 50 watt, adjustable. Again, as Comet1993 stated, you'll want to baffle your filter too. Bettas don't generally like the water current. You can read about this in the Betta Care Section under "How to Baffle Your Filter". You will definitely need to cycle the tank first too. You can learn about this in the Betta Care Section under "Basics of an Aquarium Cycle". Moving forward you'll then need to do water changes by including vaccuming the rocks. A siphon is essential. For one fish in a 10 gal, once the tank is cycled, you'll probably be able to do 25% water changes every 2 weeks. In the beginning, just check your water parameters every few days to decipher what is best for your set up. A water test kit that checks for ammonia, nitrites and nitrates will be important for the ongoing health of your tank. The API Master Test Kit works well. Larger tanks are great. I prefer them over the small tanks/bowls. Good Luck!!
flowerslegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 08:17 PM   #6 
BETTA DET

I would stick with a 50 watt adjustable heater for a 10 gallon tank. Petco has a nice one Its about 27 dollars. I would just buy one of those 10 gallon starter kits from aqueon. Comes with everything you need. (besides gravel and decorations)
BETTA DET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 08:30 PM   #7 
flowerslegacy

I agree with Betta Det. Those starter kits are easy. They're a little less expensive too.
flowerslegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 10:55 PM   #8 
Vaughan06

I decided to go with the Marineland 5 gallon hexagon tank. It has a built-in water filter, light-hood, for just 40.00.

The heater I have says it is for 2-15 gallon tanks. Shouldn't it work in this 5 gallon, and even a 10 gallon if I had gone that route?
Old 08-10-2011, 11:14 PM   #9 
BETTA DET

Whats the wattage? and is it adjustable?
BETTA DET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 11:17 PM   #10 
Vaughan06

Quote:
Originally Posted by BETTA DET View Post
Whats the wattage? and is it adjustable?
Not sure about the wattage, and it cuts off and on automatically to keep the water at 76-80 degrees.