Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-08-2011, 08:16 PM   #1 
thePWNISHER

Need advice on whether or not to set up....

So I gave in and bought the 29g kit at petco. Now I'm stuck with a dilemma. I want to use it for a sorority/community tank but here is the catch. My next residence will be my apartment during my master's program when I go back to school in 2 weeks. I am only there for 9 months then I'm moving to my next home for my doctorate for about 4 years. How tough would it be to move the fish from a 29g? I am just wondering if its worth the hassle of establishing a tank for 6 months, by the time cycling is complete and I have the girls that aren't so nippy together just to have to break it down all over again.

Any thoughts?
thePWNISHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 10:07 PM   #2 
Pitluvs

My tank was established in 3 weeks lol

You could always run your filter on a rubbermaid tub with your rocks and decorations in it to keep the bacteria alive for the trip. That's what I would do. Filter and air stone in the tub, and put the fish in cups or smaller rubbermaid tubs.
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 02:59 AM   #3 
thePWNISHER

You guve me hope. But how do you run ur filter on a rubbermaid? While moving? i am guessing it is a last pack, first unpack item for yah. how do the fish fair in a rubbermaid? It would most likely be a 6 hour drive wherever i end up next year.
Old 08-09-2011, 03:04 AM   #4 
Pitluvs

I did it years ago, I had to buy a 120v converter thingy for the plug in the car. I just plugged my filter in and hung it on the side like a tank. My fish were all in bags, in a rubbermaid filled with water and a heater. I had a pump with an airstone in the one with my rocks/filter to keep it aerated. It was last to be packed (I forgot my fish in my old house, had to go back lol) and first to be unpacked. We only moved 2h away though.

I have no idea with any other options. Hope someone comes along with suggestions. You could always google it? I find that brings up a lot of suggestions!
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 03:24 AM   #5 
thePWNISHER

That is very clever. I've never known the limits of a converter, but of course if it can run my laptop a little fish filter shouldn't be a problem. I am a bit worried since 2 hours seems doable but 6 hours seems quite a bit and its through the desert between AZ to CA. I hope I get into school here so its just a 10min move somewhere closer to campus rather than cross state.
Old 08-09-2011, 09:58 AM   #6 
Oldfishlady

With a 29gal tank.....you really are going to need to empty it completely to move it.....the reason...weight.....one little twist and you can crack a seal and you end up with a big mess.....I know.....lol......better safe than sorry.....

For a 6h trip.....I would start over with the nitrogen cycle.....it will be much easier.......start the tank like a new one......when you get to your new location you are going to need to do a 24h leak test anyway....highly recommended.......

Bettas are tough and travel pretty good....cup them in sometime small with lid and place them in a cooler of some type-be sure to take a couple of gallons of water with you that is pre-treated and ready to use......they will be fine in the containers for a week if needed until you get settled in and get the tank up and running again and this will give you time to acclimate them to the new source water while keeping them in QT too....

Packing and unpacking then 6hr trip in a car can wear you out....the fish will be fine in a temporary container while you get settled in and start getting the 29gal set back up and running......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 01:04 PM   #7 
thePWNISHER

so if I did a sorority they can be cupped and not freak out. You guys don't make it seem to so bad like it is very doable. Thank you for the responses. I was just trying imagine breaking it down. I knew I would have to empty it, I just wasn't sure if the fish would be fine for that long of a trip between destinations. Or the shock of memories of petsmart/petco would stress them out too much from being back in a little cup.

Would there be anyway to salvage the nitro cycle from keeping the filter and media in some old tank water? or is it too long of a stagnant period to keep the bacteria alive?
Old 08-09-2011, 04:42 PM   #8 
Oldfishlady

You can't say 100% that you won't have any problems and most likely the females will go through the pecking order again...thats unavoidable.....instinct is at play that we have little control over....lol.....

As far a keeping the nitryfing bacteria alive.....you have to look at the time line of breaking down the aquarium in regards to packing, moving....etc....that 6hr drive is one thing...but you are also looking at the time it takes to move everything...etc......the bacteria need oxygen and food to stay alive...generally in about 6 hours 90% more or less are near dead or dead...its like leaving the fish out of water for long periods of time....you have some level of oxygen in the water already...not much...but some.....by keeping the filter media in a container of cool water 70-75F more or less for higher oxygen content you could get most of them alive to the new location and then you could get an airstone in the water to get the oxygen level up.....you would have limited bacteria but most likely enough to seed the tank to cut the cycling process by half...it all depends on how much trouble you wanted to go through.....you will still need to make some extra water only changes for a few weeks until the bacteria caught up with the bioload......but it can be done.....
Old 08-09-2011, 04:54 PM   #9 
thePWNISHER

Awesome, I expected most of the bacteria to die off but the fact that enough to kick start another cycle is more or less what I was looking for. I really did not want to set up a beautiful tank, then break it down and have it all go badly wrong on the next move. At least what I thought would happen is actually worth the effort then. I figure I'd lose a girl or two from the stress then have to deal with the whole alpha thing again, which is to be expected. I just didn't want to end up with 90% dying and an empty tank.

Would live plants in a tupperware of water along with the filter and filter media make a difference? Obviously the photoperiod for one day will really mess up the plants but whatever day the move is basically i plan on packing everything but the tank itself until the moving of then the first thing to go up would be the tank so hopefully 9 hours with filter off, unless I can pull off the car converter trick, dunno how that would be.
Old 08-09-2011, 05:05 PM   #10 
Oldfishlady

If this is a planted tank...problem is mostly solved......lol.....especially with the right species and number of plants..a lot of bacteria will be on the plants themselves too......and plants can go several days-week without light and usually be fine if they are healthy to start....you may have some die off...but not much...they can handle a cloudy day/days......

Get a 5gal bucket with a lid-remove the top half inch of substrate and add to the bucket and some fresh dechlorinated water a little over half full..... all the live plants, the filter media, driftwood, small decorations especially anything covered with algae and the girls....place the lid on it so it is dark....

Don't place the bucket on the floor board..it get really hot and be careful of things in the bucket that could fall on the fish......

I should have asked if you had live plants....lol.......