Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-18-2011, 10:52 PM   #1 
BettaCarol

Feeding & Temperature questions

Hi,
I've had Bettas in the past. Just got another one about a week ago. He's in a 2.5gallon acrylic aquarium, with some fake plants and a betta log, and a marimo moss ball.

I've been feeding him pellets, although in the past had always fed flakes to my other Bettas.
I have been feeding him in the AM and PM about 12 hours apart.

My first question is how many pellets should I feed him in a feeding? I dont want to overfeed, or underfeed. I've been putting the food in the top of the log, and he will sometimes come up there to get a few pieces, and then will chase the others down to the bottom when the current from the filter kicks them down. he doesn't get all of them so they end up at the bottom.

Also, I don't have a heater yet, the water temp is usually around 76, but when the light is on for a few hours at night it brings it up to abot 78 or 79 degrees. I will be getting a heater (will take any recommendations for that also!!) but want to know if the temperature increase caused by the light will hurt him?

Any suggestions would be appreciated!!

Thanks,
Carol
BettaCarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 11:09 PM   #2 
PewPewPew

I would feed one or two pellets at one time- but no more. I'd say 3-4 a day is fine, no more than 2 at a time :) I like to feed one and then the second a bit later, big gap of time, then the same :)

Using the light causes temperature fluxes, which is actually worse than having no heater :c Maybe can consider putting a heating pad on the lowest setting with a towel on top, then putting your tank on it :) Keep monitoring the temp as best you can.

As for heaters, I dont know any for that size :c Sorry!
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 11:26 PM   #3 
audjree

(okay, so i accidentally closed my browser, so i have to type all this again. -_____-)

most people recommend 2-4 pellets a day. some feed only 2; possibly 1 in the AM and 1 in the PM, or 2 at once. others feed 4 a day, usually 2 in the AM and 2 in the PM.

i personally feed 4 a day; lately, i've been doing 1 in the morning, 2 in the afternoon, and 1 in the evening, but i plan to change it to 2 in the morning and 2 in the evening, to prevent bloating.

i recommend feeding some frozen bloodworms or frozen brine shrimp, along with pellets, for added protein. i feed my boy bloodworms 3-4 days a week. when i do, i give him 1 pellet in the morning, and 2 bloodworms in the afternoon. it's best to use tweezers (i'm actually temporarily using a chopstick) to handle the bloodworms.

you can also feed them freeze-dried bloodworms or freeze-dried brine shrimp, but since they're not as nutritious, they should be used as a treat, once or twice a week.

it's also recommended to fast them one day a week to prevent bloating.

i'm sorry if this is too much. haha i hope this helps! (:

OH, and for the heater, i've heard great things about this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Elite-Submersi...1897674&sr=8-1

i've bought two different heaters from petsmart, and the first didn't work at all, and second overheated my tank. i plan to buy the one above eventually, probably in the fall, since i don't need it at the moment. (my tank is a constant 78-80*.)

Last edited by audjree; 08-18-2011 at 11:28 PM.
audjree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 01:15 PM   #4 
Sakura8

Hi and welcome to the forum BettaCarol. I agree with Pew and Audjree about the number of pellets and I just want to second what Audjree says about frozen and freeze-dried foods. It's best to feed your betta a variety of foods so he gets all the nutrients he needs and so he doesn't get bored. If you can, try feeding one or two pellets for one meal, one or two frozen bloodworms for another meal, and maybe pellets or freeze-dried for a third meal. Variety and small, frequent feedings are the key to betta feeding. That and learning to resist the wiggle dance and the "feed me" eyes.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote