Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-08-2011, 06:41 PM   #1 
hmckin20

Picky fish & weird eating habits

Okay so, I was feeding Flair and Pierce freeze-dried blood worms for a while til they got constipated/feeling icky. So I stopped, they got better, but they refuse to eat any of the food I try giving them :/ I've got three other types of food, including larger pellets, smaller pellets that sink right when i put them in the tank (/facepalm) and some flakes, all of which both of them ignore. But they eat bloodworms, haha. How do I break them into eating the healthier stuff? Do I need to buy different food?

Demi on the other hand, will take a chomp out of anything I give to her, but she doesn't seem to be able to eat it in one bite. I give her pellets and she has to chew, spit out, chew, spit out, chase to the bottom and eat from there. I gave her flakes and she seemed to eat a few of these, not too many. So it's not really easy keeping up with what she eats and what's leftover. Any ideas about this complicated little problem?

All of the fishies are otherwise acting perfectly fine, floating around with all their color, hiding in their new decor, etc. No bloating, a submersible preset heater with good, constant temperature, daily 20-50% water changes in both F&P's tank- a ten gallon- and Demi's tank- a two gallon. I did a gravel vacuum for F&P's tank today. I don't have any specific information about the water cause I haven't gotten it tested. No filter yet but the one for F&P's tank was shipped today. They do not seem stressed.

But I do have a question about clamped fins- what do they look like?

Last edited by hmckin20; 08-08-2011 at 06:44 PM.
hmckin20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 10:28 AM   #2 
hmckin20

bumping for help
Old 08-09-2011, 11:34 AM   #3 
Punki

Mine once got hooked on Mosquito larvae and didnt want their pellets anymore, i just had to be stubborn like them, its all i offered, 3 days later they were hungry enough and ate and have without issue since xD Clamped is when they hold all of their fins close against their body, i think i got a pic of my previous female clamped.
Punki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 11:57 AM   #4 
hmckin20

okay, so i should just be stubborn and hold out on them? xD that'll work. silly fish.

ohh, okay. my fish don't look like that but the shape of flair's "pectoral" fin changed yesterday. where they're usually flared out they're now more tear drop shaped. it happened once before and went back to normal.
Old 08-09-2011, 11:58 AM   #5 
dragonflie

Indeed, for stubborn ones you may have to let them go hungry enough before they will decide to eat it. It's much like a real child, in a way. ;) If you give in they will just wait for what they want.

For the little one having trouble eating the big pellets: maybe try soaking them first, so they are softer; they should swell slightly, and it might be possible for you to cut them in half.
dragonflie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 12:01 PM   #6 
hmckin20

xD ohjeez. they're so spoiled. i'll hold out a few days and update.

okay, thanks for the help! (:
Old 08-09-2011, 12:47 PM   #7 
Punki

My females were never able to swallow the regular sized pellets either, theyd do the same :)) I eventually found some mini pellets that they can easily gobble up, til then soaking is a good idea so they dont get too excited and choke on one or something :))
Punki is offline   Reply With Quote