betta fish

Old 08-09-2011, 02:40 PM   #1 
thePWNISHER

Help! What do I do?!?

I've been watching this guy on AB for a while now:

Name:  Mustard CT Betta.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  79.5 KB

My favorite color combination for anything, cars, t=shirts, whatever is orange black....So I took my daughter to Petco just to give her a weekly zoo trip and I see 3 CTs just like this guy.

The problem is that my 10g is broken down at the moment I am moving on the 22nd to AZ. I am making two trips since gas is cheaper to take 2 trips than renting a Uhaul from Socal. With that I don't know what to do? I want to take home one of these guys so desperately because it isn't everyday that you find something besides a Blue or Red VT in a brown waterfilled cup out here, I am hoping AZ is different.

I was dying because I don't know how I can pull this off. I go for orientation at school for 23rd-24th, then back home til the weekend. I can't buy him set up the tank when i get there because I will not be there to water change it or feed him from Thursday till Sunday Night when I go back.

So if anyone thinks of a plan that will not stress the guy out or kill him by ammonia then let me know. Also the tank will be an uncycled 10g when I do set it up out there. Can 10g go 3-4days without a water change? Can a new fish go 3-4 days without being fed? I mean I know the first few days they usually don't eat in a new environment anyways so I don't want to put this guy in danger because of impulse.

Plan B: An alternative plan was I am hoping he is still there that weekend. I would have to buy him on my way out of town. If I did that how would a Petco betta do in a cooler for 5-6 hours on the highway through the hottest desert in the USA? My truck has ok A/C but It isn't a new truck with the fancy, set a temp and the A/C auto adjusts for you. Would this be too much for him in a bag in a cooler for 6 hours?

So really I'm asking would plan A or plan B be feasible with this guy. I'd love to get one locally than paying near $70 for the same thing that is sitting in a brown cup for $10 at Petco.

Last edited by thePWNISHER; 08-09-2011 at 02:43 PM.
thePWNISHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 05:14 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Betta don't produce as much ammonia as some think and what is produced is diet related on the most part.....

One adult in a newly setup 10gal unfiltered tank without being fed-should be fine for a week and longer as well as safer if you added some live plants....

What an awesome looking Betta....he would be hard for me to pass up.......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 05:21 PM   #3 
thePWNISHER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
Betta don't produce as much ammonia as some think and what is produced is diet related on the most part.....

One adult in a newly setup 10gal unfiltered tank without being fed-should be fine for a week and longer as well as safer if you added some live plants....

What an awesome looking Betta....he would be hard for me to pass up.......

So, in short, all of my worries are not worries, and I should have no ordinary problems, obviously unforseen random chance stuff will happen either way, but letting him sit in a tank alone won't be a problem. Man, they are hardy fish.

Why didn't I switch to Bettas a long time ago. I've always had salt water since my father started his giant salwater tanks when i was 12. I mean slatwater fish are ridiculous. The prettier they are the most likely they will have something random happen and die it seemed. Bettas are the opposite lots of pretty for a fish that you have to try to kill it seems for them to die. (Sarcasm)

Still its a relief knowing that transporting won't be a big issue then leaving them alone for a almost a week unattended will not overly stress them either.

OldFishLady, You're the greatest!
Old 08-09-2011, 05:21 PM   #4 
LittleBettas

I transported 4 bettas, 2 moss balls, and 2 ghost shrimp in 100+ degree weather, I bought a styrophone (sp? to lazy to check, lol) cooler and put in cup holders (the 4 pack you get from McDonalds) I kept all of my Betta and moss ball containers so I put a betta in each, added another cupholder and put the mossballs and shrimps there, I then placed the lid on and put the igloo on the floor by a vent (you can add an ice pack if you want)
This method worked GREAT for me, though my male Hercules did get stressed and bit his tail (I would add Tannis next time)
LittleBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 05:24 PM   #5 
thePWNISHER

@littlebettas thanks for sharing your experience. It helps me to know what others have done for ideas. I know the front of the truck vs the back cab is night in day temp wise since only dash vents. I prolly won't need an ice packed cooler but the McDonald's cup idea seems great! I'll have to keep one of those around, or just get on when I begin the trip.
Old 08-09-2011, 05:39 PM   #6 
Oldfishlady

If they are healthy to start...its hard to kill them...lol......I placed some of my Bettas outside too early this year and we had a cold snap and the water got down to the low 50's....they didn't move around a lot and stopped eating...but are fine and have given me about 15 spawns this summer and are now sitting in nearly 100F water and still going strong.......I don't recommend doing this to your Bettas...just showing you the short term extremes a healthy Betta can tolerate.......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 05:59 PM   #7 
thePWNISHER

No, I odn't plan on testing the extremities, I mean in your situation you have hundreds of bettas so if you lose one you have 40 sibilings just like him/her.

Now I just hope that guy is still there when I go to get him Maybe I'll go do that tomorrow. Too bad the plants are garbage here, always the same brown little ferns and its mainly just tanks of bamboo. I'll order some as soon as I move and get things rolling come the end of the month.
Old 08-10-2011, 12:51 AM   #8 
thePWNISHER

Ok so I gave in and went and bought him tonight, He's floating on top of my QT bowl right now, he'll have to do with a 1g for the next 2 weeks until the move and I set him up in a 10g penthouse compare to the studio he will be in for now. At least he'll be out of the closet room.