Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-09-2011, 03:12 PM   #1 
n3wport

hardcore cleaning 10g.. quick question

if I replace everything in the tank, but the filter media remains, will that help with cycling? I have an aqua clear filter.

also, can I use the vinegar solution and rinse really really well and put my fish back in? or do I have to let it dry out for a day?
n3wport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 05:13 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

As long as you keep the filter media wet and oxygenated to keep the bacteria a live....you should have nearly an instant nitrogen cycle....you may still have spikes for a week or so....but nothing a water change won't fix.....a lot of the beneficial bacteria are on/in the filter media and as long as the stocking/bioload is close.... a fully established nitrogen cycle shouldn't take long......this is assuming you already had an established nitrogen cycle to start and the filter media wasn't overly rinsed/cleaned or left without oxygen for longer than 5-6 hours or dried out or killed by antibiotic.....as you see a lot of things can kill the bacteria.....

Vinegar-just be sure and get it rinsed out since it can change the pH of the water...a little residue shouldn't make that much difference.......

Why are you breaking down the tank......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 05:50 PM   #3 
n3wport

Because it was so dirty, and my fave fish died so I redid everyone's tank. The filter carbon/sponge have been kept wet in old tank water while I have been cleaning out the tank. I removed the gravel.
Old 08-09-2011, 05:51 PM   #4 
n3wport

well not unhealthy dirty, root tabs making a mess, plant roots everywhere, ugly looking :P just trying something new
Old 08-09-2011, 06:01 PM   #5 
Oldfishlady

Quote:
Originally Posted by n3wport View Post
just trying something new
This is why I break down a tank...lol......time to re-decorate....lol......half the fun of having aquariums too....in my opinion anyway.....

If you have live active growing plants half the work/worry is done......in regards to the nitrogen cycle.......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 06:30 PM   #6 
n3wport

yes, I only kept 2 plants tho. they are smaller plants. Why is my water so cloudy? I never remembered this part lol