Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-10-2011, 04:31 PM   #11 
harrypotter

I live in a small town that doesn't sell live plants for aquariums but I'll try to see what I can do. I've never owned a fish before, he's my first attempt and I'm already attached to him and will feel awful if he dies due to my lack of care.

I just really need to figure out how to lower the ammonia in the water. Would adding aquarium salt help?
harrypotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 04:51 PM   #12 
Oldfishlady

What is the ammonia reading and if you can answer the questions in my reply #8 post....once you get home.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 05:12 PM   #13 
Comet1993

He's a beautiful fish. =] I hope he gets feeling better soon. It would be easier to get a filter for a bigger tank.. And easier to clean, as well.
Comet1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 05:17 PM   #14 
harrypotter

I may have to look at bigger tanks because I won't lie, I'm getting really tired of doing 100% water changes once a week and now he's going to need them more to get rid of the ammonia. What size of tank would you recommend? Would a 5 gallon be large enough to accomdate a filter and heater?
Old 08-11-2011, 05:50 PM   #15 
harrypotter

I tested the ammonia and it's still reading around 1.00 and that's with 25% water changes and conditioning the water. I don't know what to do!
Old 08-11-2011, 06:04 PM   #16 
Oldfishlady

I would really like to help...but until you answer the questions...I have to assume.......and thats doesn't help anyone......

What kind of test products are you using, have you tested the source water, if so, what are the readings, what kind of ammonia removing product are you using.....you may be seeing ammonium not ammonia.....
Old 08-11-2011, 06:14 PM   #17 
harrypotter

- I use Nutrafin Betta Plus Water Conditioner when I change his water
- I have been using Nutrafin Cycle to help with the ammonia
- Mars Fish Care for the PH Liquid Test Kit
- API Ammonia Test Kit
- I feed him Zoomed Betta Pellets

The water is really cloudy now, which it never used to be so I don't think the Nutrafin Cycle stuff is working. I'm going to a bigger city tomorrow so I'm going to try and find some Prime by Seachem and hope he hangs on just a little bit longer.

When I first tested the ammonia, the resting was over 4.00 but now it is .75 - 1.25
Old 08-11-2011, 06:40 PM   #18 
Oldfishlady

Your most likely seeing ammonium and not ammonia due to all the chemical additives.....I would test the source water and make sure you don't have ammonia in it to start......

Did you add the filter or not......if you don't have a filter running it is pointless to cycle the tank...the bacteria need oxygenated water......

you don't need all the chemical additives...a good dechlorinator like Prime is all you need to use...too many chemical additive in a small volume of water and the fish can get toxic....just trying to make it easier for you and more Fun and less work......once it become work and problems its not much fun and that what this hobby is about.......to be enjoyed and fun......wouldn't you agree.......
Old 08-15-2011, 11:41 AM   #19 
harrypotter

I just wanted to post and say thank you so much for all the help I received. I picked up some Prime by Seachem and some Stress Coat. I added the stress coat and within 2 days, I woke up to this! Somebody is clearly feeling better!

Old 08-15-2011, 02:42 PM   #20 
BETTACHKALOVE

How is his behavior? Is he still lethargic? Is he eating at all? I would be very happy for you if he get better. Unfortunately u can't say he is better if he did bubble nest. It just natural reproductive instinct.
BETTACHKALOVE is offline   Reply With Quote