Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-09-2011, 05:21 PM   #1 
Vaughan06

Betta Mirror and Stress

I seen a Betta mirror for the first time today at Petco. According to the box, it is used by the Betta for exercise. My first reaction was, "No, I don't want him to stress himself out."

So my question is: Will seeing his reflection stress him as if it were another Betta?

Also, at work I try to keep Betta bowls as distant as can be allowed so that they do not feel constantly stressed. Do Bettas even stress about other Bettas being around? Or is a healthy act to flare up or at other Bettas?
Vaughan06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 05:24 PM   #2 
Creat

It does cause stress as the male feels the need to defend his "territory" but my males grow accustomed to each other and now live in a divided tank with clear dividers and so far I have had no one stressing themselves out. Also as long as your water is in good condition and the betta healthy there should be no reason his immune system should give in to a disease and cause problems.
Creat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 05:48 PM   #3 
Myates

My boy's tanks are about 1.5-2 inches apart.. once in a while they will flare at each other, but mostly they just do their own thing. If I see them fixated and doing it for any length of time, I just put a piece of paper or a small notebook between them for a bit until they give up and go about their business. But a flare every once in a while won't really do them harm. In a way it gives them something to do, and when the other fish or reflection goes away, they strut around like they own the world and seem more active and curious afterwards for a bit.. at least in my experience as of late, and in the past. Just wouldn't keep a mirror next to it 24/7 or for more then say 10 minutes at a time.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 07:21 PM   #4 
Vaughan06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myates View Post
My boy's tanks are about 1.5-2 inches apart.. once in a while they will flare at each other, but mostly they just do their own thing. If I see them fixated and doing it for any length of time, I just put a piece of paper or a small notebook between them for a bit until they give up and go about their business. But a flare every once in a while won't really do them harm. In a way it gives them something to do, and when the other fish or reflection goes away, they strut around like they own the world and seem more active and curious afterwards for a bit.. at least in my experience as of late, and in the past. Just wouldn't keep a mirror next to it 24/7 or for more then say 10 minutes at a time.
These mirrors actually go IN the tank. I'm not going to buy one. I can't wait until I get settled in my new house; I plan on buying more Bettas. Unfortunately that may be another 5 months...
Vaughan06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 08:15 PM   #5 
Myates

Ick, I wouldn't put one in the tank itself.. yeah, it's not a parakeet that wants to sing to itself all the time. What they come up with for a few bucks these days..
Bettas, can't just stop at one!
Old 08-09-2011, 08:38 PM   #6 
PiscisAmor

Flaring can be good exercise if only done for a short period of time, like a few minutes. It encourages better fin spread too. But be very careful and don't over do it. If he gets stressed out and gets stripes or clampy or anything like that, just stop
PiscisAmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 09:04 PM   #7 
Myates

Yup! Xander's fins were droopy because of his living conditions prior to me taking him, before he got neighbors I would put a mirror next to him for a few mins a day or so.. and now he keeps his fins spread out greatly and I'm loving it! Especially for a VT, his fins are so big now. So limited time is fine, but a mirror in the tank is nuts!
Old 08-10-2011, 11:28 AM   #8 
Kytkattin

You know, there really does have to be some irony when a betta sees his own reflection, flares, and thinks he could totally take on the fish he is flaring at. I mean they obviously don't rationalize it like that, but if they did...

As a side note, when I went into Petco yesterday they had a double tail plakat that was almost moving his bowl to try to get at the other fish next to him. He was sooo big and pretty... But NOT the type of fish you want to put in a divided tank. I moved him so he couldn't see anyone else.
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 04:51 PM   #9 
ohhrats

im definitely guilty of moving around the bowls in stores so they're less stressed out
ohhrats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 04:54 PM   #10 
ForbiddenSecrets

To be fair the packaging on those betta mirrors does tell you to only keep it in for a few minutes or so for some exercise before removing it.

Edit: Not that flaring is really the best way to get make them healthy but every once in a while isn't bad.

Last edited by ForbiddenSecrets; 08-10-2011 at 04:57 PM.
ForbiddenSecrets is offline   Reply With Quote