Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-10-2011, 07:37 PM   #1 
Comet1993

Wink First Water Change...

I'm about to do the first water change for my new betta. =] Would you all recommend putting him in a small container while I siphon it? When I replace the new water, it may take a little while for the temperature to settle, since I can't exactly control the temperature of my tap water. I don't want to stress out Turbo too much. Also, I'm also removing his artificial plants and rinsing them off. Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks. =]
When I put his plants back in, would it be okay to put the intake of the filter in the center of his "bush"? That may make it a little safer for him... But he does like to stick his head in it sometimes.. :/ Any thoughts?

Last edited by Comet1993; 08-10-2011 at 07:40 PM. Reason: I forgot to add something...
Comet1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 08:18 PM   #2 
HatsuneMiku

for me it depends on which water change i'm doing .. if i'm doing the 25% change .. i usually fill up my 3 gallon bucket that i only use for my fish .. treat that with water conditioner and let it sit till the temperature of my betta's tank and the temperature in the bucket is the same (i have a magnetic in tank temperature thing which makes it easily removable .. looks like this http://www.petstrut.com/shop/shop_im...ct/JW21600.jpg) .. and while that water is adjusting to room temperature .. i take out 25% of the water in my 3 betta tanks .. and then when the water is ready i dump the new water from the bucket in ^_^

when i'm doing 98% changes .. i'll take my betta out and put him in an hanging container (http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=3523859) with his old warm water and place the hanging container hanging inside the tank with my other betta (if you don't have another warm betta tank .. just keep him in a warmer spot in the house and cover the container he's in so he's not losing too much heat).. while i siphon all the water out to my 3g bucket (it takes 2 runs per each 5g tank) .. then water the lawn with that water .. then i'll fill up the bucket and treat it with water conditioner .. and then put that water in the tank

i try to get the running temperature of the tap water to be as close as i can to 80 .. by holding the thermometer under the running water till i get it to where i want .. to reduce waiting time

but that's just my scenario .. everyone has a different way .. do what you feel is most comfortable for you and your betta

in regards to the intake of your filter .. it would depend on how powerful it is ..

(mr. bubbles likes to sleep on the filter intake .. the first time he did this freaked me out cus i thought he got sucked up by it and was stuck .. but it wasn't that at all cus the moment i saw this i started to open his tank cover and he just swam away happily.. he just really likes laying on it @_@ .. crazy little guy.. but my filter is a mini whisper in tank filter and has strength settings and i have it on very very low setting so he probably thinks it's safe there .. and his fins have never been cut or torn by it .. so i didn't remove the filter) ..

if you find that he starts to avoid his usual hang out spots because u moved his filter there .. then maybe it's not a good idea .. but if you must put it there then maybe baffling your filter may also be a good idea just in case =D

good luck!!
HatsuneMiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 10:48 PM   #3 
Comet1993

Thank you for all of the advice. =) I can tell that you really put a lot of time into your reply. Your bettas sure are lucky to have you.
Comet1993 is offline   Reply With Quote