Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-10-2011, 08:07 AM   #1 
Tikibirds

Question Fish falls over on its side

I went to the pet section to get a can of moist dog food and ended up with THREE fish

One male has fin rot, one female my boyfriend picked out and then there is the sympathy purchase. If she lives, she will be a pretty girl. I have seen ones on AB that look like her - peach body, see through fins and some black scales here and there. Very Pretty girl. However there is something wrong with her and I am not sure what it is. She can't swim right. I dont think its SBD, its not that she floats up to the top or sinks to the bottom. She isn't really lethargic, she tries to swim around but when she does her back end kinda flops over to one side. I am wondering if she got a spinal cord injury during shipment or something. She also has trouble trying to reach the surface to get air.

I currently have her in about an inch of water, stress coat and a pinch of AQ salt. She ate fine, her little side fins go a mile a minute but she doesn't really swim anywhere.

advice??
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 10:07 AM   #2 
earthworm88

it sounds possible that she may have SBD. The swim bladder sacs are on both sides of her body, and one side may have more air in it and therefore would be lopsided and flop to a side and make swimming difficult.

If you observe from above, do you see any swelling near her tail end? And is the swelling equal?

I am sure more experienced gurus here will come to your rescue. This is just something for you to think about in the meanwhile :) I hope she gets well soon!
earthworm88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 10:19 AM   #3 
Tikibirds

Should I fast her for a day or two? or try epsom salt?

I didnt see any swelling but I can be wrong...

Last edited by Tikibirds; 08-10-2011 at 10:24 AM.
Old 08-10-2011, 11:04 AM   #4 
Tikibirds

Old 08-10-2011, 12:29 PM   #5 
earthworm88

What a cutie!

great picture of the top view. You are right, I don't see any obvious swelling either, may be a slight asymmetry on the right which could be just the way she happened to position herself.

The second picture appeared there is a "S" curve to her resting position. Is that her "normal" resting pose on the bottom? or just the shot of that instance?

Is there a bulge under her belly?

Sorry I seem to have more questions for you than answers. If it is SBD problem, epsom salt 1 tsp/gal for 10 days can be tried to see if the condition improves.

Hopefully this will bump your thread up so some experts can give you a definite help on this one.

Good luck with her!
earthworm88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 12:46 PM   #6 
LittleBettas

My rescue Chance was the same way, "S" shaped, couldnt really swim, same symptons, I thought he has SBD and treated him for it but he died two days later... Im not sure if was SBD and it just wasnt treated soon enough or i it was something all together, my guy wouldnt eat though...
Pics of Chance:

He seemed to get better:

then took a turn for the worse and I woke up to find him laying on his side on the bottom of the tank
LittleBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 01:04 PM   #7 
Sakura8

She looks like she might have back issues, like my Scooter. Try her in 1 tsp of epsom salt per gallon for 10 days to see if that helps. Make sure she has a plant she can perch in. Hopefully it's an SBD thing. If it is a back problem, it's not a death sentence but it does mean she can't go into the sorority and she'll always need to be kept in a shallow tank. She looks so pretty.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 07:17 AM   #8 
Tikibirds

well she hasn't pooped in 24 hours, so I am hoping its a SB issue and not a back issue. She seems a little better today. I guess I am going to fast her again tomorrow and I cant find non scented epsom salt ANYWHERE

She does eat when I give her food.

She seems to only have the S thing going on when she starts to fall over. Its kinda like she is drunk and all wobbly. Its not like her spine is permently in that position.
Old 08-11-2011, 08:15 AM   #9 
Sakura8

Wow, no non-scented epsom anywhere? That's unusual. Do you have any frozen brine shrimp? When you're done fasting her, try that. Brine shrimp or daphnia help with the constipation thing. Can you get a video of her swimming?
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 09:42 AM   #10 
Tikibirds

There are only 2 places that would have epsom and walmart only had lavander. Maybe fred meyers will have it?

I can make a video later on today via my camera.

What's daphnia??

Last edited by Tikibirds; 08-11-2011 at 09:43 AM. Reason: pics