Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-10-2011, 08:30 AM   #1 
jackiekhaytin

Unhappy betta fin rot or tail biter?

I have a crowntail betta, (his name is Sparky) ive had him for about a month, and hes been healthy, but yesterday when i was feeding him i noticed a few peices of his fins look ragged and torn, he is still swimming around as usually and ate the same, there is also a begining of a bubble nest at the top of the water.
is the salt hurting him?? could it be fin rot?
if so what do i do??

Housing
What size is your tank? 2 gallon
What temperature is your tank? about 80-81 degrees
Does your tank have a filter? yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no (do i need one)
Is your tank heated? has a small 7.5 watt heater but the temp is usually 76-80 degrees without it, unless the temperature goes below 76 i dont use the heater
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Aqueon betta food, for treats freeze dried blood worms once a week
How often do you feed your betta fish? daily about 5 pellets a day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? once a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? water conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: .50
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
pH: about 6.8
Hardness: 150 hard
Alkalinity: about 80

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? yes, his very back his had ripped and torn looking edges, not bad but noticeable when looking
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? no eats well swims around, hides in his favorite plant
When did you start noticing the symptoms? yesterday
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? i did another 100% water change, and started a treatment of maracyn and maracyn 2, i left out the salt this time.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? no
How old is your fish (approximately)? ive had him for about a month, i got him at the pet store so i dont know how old he was when i bought him.

edges aren't blackened just torn.
jackiekhaytin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 09:15 AM   #2 
cuttlefish120

My solid red vt kato has the exact same problem
cuttlefish120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 09:27 AM   #3 
jackiekhaytin

so what did you do to treat it??
Old 08-10-2011, 09:38 AM   #4 
jackiekhaytin

i got him some new gravel, the marbles ones just in case the other gravel was too rough? good?
Old 08-10-2011, 10:13 AM   #5 
jackiekhaytin

[IMG][/IMG]

heres what it looks like
Old 08-10-2011, 11:44 AM   #6 
ANHEL123

Maracyn and Maracyn 2 together is good medication for gram positive and gram negative, but if he is eating and active i don't think u need to treat him yet. Do u have fake plants? May be he damage his fins?

One of my betta is tail bitter. I have him since 02/10 and he did it 3 times . All i do just change 100% of the water more frequently. Like for 2.5 gall i do it every 3 days. His tail grew back.

I really don't recommend med's if he is active and eating. Try just changing his water more often. See how he is doing. If u think he will get worse then u can treat him.

Also i love that the forum people usually recommending the AQUARIUM SALT. If the symptoms not severe i always would try AQ salt firs. There is certain way to do it. So u need to know that before u treat fish.

Just want to add something else about medications. TETRACYCLINE API mixed together with FUNGAS ELIMINATOR BY JUNGLE also good. Those medications u can mix together. For example Fin Rot can be bacterial or fungal.

Last edited by ANHEL123; 08-10-2011 at 12:00 PM.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 01:34 PM   #7 
jackiekhaytin

So what should I do for now?
Old 08-10-2011, 02:55 PM   #8 
ANHEL123

I would change water again to get medications out. Do about 75% water change today. And do another 50% water change tomorrow. For 2 gall i would change water every 2 days for a week. See how he is doing. If he is ok and don't get worse then just do regular water changes. I personally do 100% water changes all the time. I do it every 4 days for 2.5 gall. I also know recommendations to change the water for 2 gall would be 1-50% and 1-100% a week.

I also always make sure that food don't go to the bottom of the tank, because food decompose and contaminate the water.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 03:01 PM   #9 
jackiekhaytin

Should I add aquarium salt?? If so how much??
Old 08-10-2011, 03:04 PM   #10 
Pataflafla

Start out with 1 tsp/gal premixed to add to his tank. You might want to qt him so the water changes are easier. If there's no improvement within 5 days of 1tsp/gal with 100% water changes in qt, up the dose to 2 tsp/gal.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote