Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-10-2011, 01:21 PM   #1 
Sharose

Question Betta not eating

My Betta stopped eating yesterday. He also had been hangin around at the bottom of the tank and his color was pale. He seem to be digging a hole in the rocks at the bottom of the tank and now his fins look torn. I changed his water two days ago and did add a water conditioner. He is now swiming around more but stopped eating.
Sharose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 04:47 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum and sorry you are having problems.....have some questions....

How big is the tank, how much and how often are the water changes, filter, live plants, water temp, additives used, any tank mates, how long have you had him, what kind of food are you offering...can you post a pic....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 05:31 PM   #3 
Sharose

Question

I was changing the water once a week. I changed his water after he started looking sick and added water conditioner. He was looking better the next day.
After reading on this forum we bought a new tank yesterday. He is in a 5 gallon tank with a filter, heater, moss ball from his old tank, Jungle start right with Aloe Vera, no mates, I feed him Betta pellets
I got him July 1st. I will try and send a pic. Is a filter to strong for a Betta with the movement. He seams to hang around the bottom or top of heater. He did not eat yesterday or this morning. I did give him a pellet this afternoon not sure if he ate it or it got sucked up by the filter.
Please advise, thanks!
Old 08-10-2011, 06:17 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

Some Bettas don't tolerate filters at first....you may need to baffle it or remove it until he gets back to his normal self and eating....

In a filtered 5gal-without an established nitrogen cycle-I would make twice weekly water changes...1-50% water only and 1-50% to include the substrate cleaning by vacuum or stir and dip method until the nitrogen cycle has established-this can take 4-8 weeks-then 1-50% weekly with vacuum or stir and dip should maintain water quality

Be sure and try to keep the water temp between new and old water with water changes within a couple of degrees of each other so not to temp shock

Always use dechlorinator with any water added to the tank
Dose the dechlorinatorfor the full volume of the tank not just the amount of replacement water

What is the temp

You may or may not need a heater, but its good to have one on hand...your goal is 76-80F range water temp

You do need a thermometer to monitor the tank water temp and the temp of the replacement water used for water changes.....

Right now-I would make a 50% water change with like temp dechlorinated water for 2 days and see if this will perk him up...hold food for now and offer small amounts in 2 days...be sure and remove any uneaten food.....

What size tank was he in before you got the 5gal-

If for some reason you feel that he needs to go back in his old tank and if the tank is at least 1-2gal in size without a filter (thats fine for a Betta IMO/E)
Be sure and increase the water changes to...1-50% and 1-100% weekly to maintain water quality and keep the temp at least 76F....

Keep us posted......

Last edited by Oldfishlady; 08-10-2011 at 06:19 PM.
Old 08-10-2011, 10:53 PM   #5 
Sharose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
Some Bettas don't tolerate filters at first....you may need to baffle it or remove it until he gets back to his normal self and eating....

In a filtered 5gal-without an established nitrogen cycle-I would make twice weekly water changes...1-50% water only and 1-50% to include the substrate cleaning by vacuum or stir and dip method until the nitrogen cycle has established-this can take 4-8 weeks-then 1-50% weekly with vacuum or stir and dip should maintain water quality

Be sure and try to keep the water temp between new and old water with water changes within a couple of degrees of each other so not to temp shock

Always use dechlorinator with any water added to the tank
Dose the dechlorinatorfor the full volume of the tank not just the amount of replacement water

What is the temp

You may or may not need a heater, but its good to have one on hand...your goal is 76-80F range water temp

You do need a thermometer to monitor the tank water temp and the temp of the replacement water used for water changes.....

Right now-I would make a 50% water change with like temp dechlorinated water for 2 days and see if this will perk him up...hold food for now and offer small amounts in 2 days...be sure and remove any uneaten food.....

What size tank was he in before you got the 5gal-

If for some reason you feel that he needs to go back in his old tank and if the tank is at least 1-2gal in size without a filter (thats fine for a Betta IMO/E)
Be sure and increase the water changes to...1-50% and 1-100% weekly to maintain water quality and keep the temp at least 76F....

Keep us posted......
He is laying on his side on the bottom now and his body looks white. We are so worried he will die. I don't know if the new tank is helping him or killing him.
The temp is 78 in the 5 gal tonight with the heater. I think in his other tank without a heater the temp was 76. The old tank was maybe a half gal. Oh dear what shall I do?
Old 08-11-2011, 11:50 AM   #6 
Oldfishlady

Sounds like you may need to QT and start aquarium salt 2tsp/gal 10 day treatment......use the half gallon container to QT and premix the treatment water in a 1gal jug of dechlorinated water-Add the aquarium salt 2tsp/gal and tannins-either IAL or dried Oak leaf-let this premixed jug of treatment water steep for 30 min (shake well) and use this water for 50% water change every hour for 2 hours today and then start 100% tomorrow for the next 10 days...