Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-13-2011, 12:12 PM   #11 
BetterBetta

So here not much rain lately, should I wait for the rainwater or use the hose? Also, there is a lake by my house that has a lot of plants, would it be safe to get some from there, or should I buy the plants? What I've seen was stuff like duckweed and frogsbit in the lake, and I figured this way any bugs or worms in the plant could be in the bucket. However, I see the danger in that, with dragonfly nymphs and such.

So, in the end, what I'm trying to say is should I buy the plants or use some from a lake? And should I wait for the rain to come although it hasn't for a week-ish, or should I fill up with the hose?
BetterBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 04:07 PM   #12 
Oldfishlady

Make sure its legal to collect the plants and go for it...lol...native plants work great for outside spawning.....

Rainwater-its up to you on what you want to use, however, when it rains you are looking at some chemistry changes...but usually it doesn't cause problems with healthy fish when its small and gradual.....I like to try and start out with rainwater but with this drought we are in......really messed things up for me this year...but more the natural foods than anything else....really limited.....never thought I would miss skeeters...lol......

I would go ahead and get started even without rain.....

I like to add lots of tannins to my outside spawn buckets-the water so dark you can barely see the fish and it seems to keep the water cooler along with the floating plants and then the decomp creates good microorganism for added fry food and food for the plants....

Dragonfly and damselfly nymps are the biggest problems-but the adult Bettas usually will take care of them when small...I never have lost an adult Betta to them but I have lost lots of fry and adult guppies.....

Finally we got rain.....at last....and it has cooled the water down to 86F from over 100F and now high humidity and hopefully skeeters......laffs.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 07:43 PM   #13 
BetterBetta

Haha right this is one of the verry few moments we actually want mosquitos(: I'm thinking of riding my bike down to the lake tomorrow, this is the time when mosquitos come out My dad has verified that it is legal to get some plants, and I'll bring a net and pray for snails (crosses fingers).

Just to be 100% clear, do I introduce the male and the female at the same time? What happens if they're not compatible, as I've read that sometimes bettas can be picky with their mates!
Old 08-13-2011, 08:08 PM   #14 
Oldfishlady

As long as you have plenty of live plants and a good volume of water....you want the container to be full...you don't have to do half full......it is actually better to have deeper water...the plants act as a natural divider and the dark tanned water helps to ease them...add lots of mosquito larva to start....when they gorge on larva....instinct tells them its time to reproduce....usually I like to add the females first for a day or two and let them feed on the larva and then the male-but feed him larva during this time too.....usually the females will demand to spawn right away and if he was fed larva he will be ready and start a nest the second he enters the water-be sure to acclimate him by adding the outside container water to the holding cup you have him in before you drop him in

Get the container ready first-add the tannins to start releasing and the plants and snails for at least a week and gather larva and drop in it to have it full of bugs....then the female...let her setup house and then the male.....
Old 08-13-2011, 10:16 PM   #15 
BetterBetta

From what I heard, decaf green tea bags can be used as a tannin? Or am I wrong? Maybe it was just using as a stress reliever....

I had absolutely no idea that food also triggers a betta's instinct to reproduce! That's definitely new for me, but hey, being a beginner, I always learn a billion new things a day on this site. When you said
Quote:
the plants act as a natural divider
does that mean I should just have all kinds of plants? And would I be able to add other hideouts such as caves, silk plants, etc...

One more: What if the male decides to turn on the female? Also, (well, two more:P) do you know whether he harms her less on the outdoor spawn?
Thanks OFL, I'd be lost without you!
Old 08-14-2011, 12:28 PM   #16 
Oldfishlady

All kinds of floating plants...the more the better.....a mat or ball of plants in the bucket...I don't add anything artificial in my outside spawns....decaf green tea would give you the tannins but I would use oak leaf or IAL if you had that instead...lots of different triggers to spawn and food is a big one and after it rains the cool water will trigger a spawn a storm brewing will trigger a spawn.......

I don't normally see any damage in my outside spawns...but I don't see them in the house either.....proper conditioning, proper conditions/setup....go a long way.....
Old 08-14-2011, 04:21 PM   #17 
betta lover1507

Talking

good luck with it!! i will think about having a female BF HM if you get one
also i will like to see pics of the cuties X33
betta lover1507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 06:23 PM   #18 
BetterBetta

Thanks bettalover, but I think this spawn is going to be mostly VT's since its a dominant trait... My dads picking up the decaf green tea bags, as I don't have access to some IAL or dried oak leaves. Hopefully it will do.

Conditioning still is neccassary, right? This is just a question because I will plump the female and male up with mosquito larvae while their in the bucket. As of now, I am feeding them both frozen bloodworms for nutrition and protein, also as conditioning.
Old 08-16-2011, 11:04 PM   #19 
BetterBetta

Update: The bucket is currently, but slowly, filling up with misquito larvae! (yay!) I have not picked up plants yet, I think I may buy them, as the lake I go to seems so yucky and I don't risk anything. Female has a big white belly full of eggs with a huge ovipositer, and Charlie's just bubblenesting like crazzy!

Again: would a large trash can work as a growout?
Old 08-17-2011, 10:40 AM   #20 
Oldfishlady

It should work fine....I would get it set up and ready no so it can start maturing...