Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-17-2011, 12:32 PM   #21 
BetterBetta

Uh-oh): When I placed the female(in her cup) into the bucket to start acclimating, she grew breeding bars, but started growing paler): I placed her back into her tank because I got worried..
BetterBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 01:40 PM   #22 
betta lover1507

someone told me to condition my pair with bloodworms for 2weeks wouldn't they get dropsy?? (i gonna breed a VT and HM)
betta lover1507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 01:44 PM   #23 
Creat

@bettalover i suggest you start another thread to get more responses but I dont feed just bloodworms for 2 weeks there is more to conditioning then that, I ty to feed live food to if its available and I still feed pellets when conditioning too
Creat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 01:58 PM   #24 
BetterBetta

Ohh bad news >:( I put a thermometer in the spawning bucket outside and the temp read 88 degrees! Great, so now what can I do? Do I have to wait later into the year because its so hot now? i dont know what to do >:( This is the hottest time of day for here, but for temps reaching that high, wouldn't that just cook the fry?
Old 08-17-2011, 02:02 PM   #25 
Creat

My tank reached 88* once with no ill effects on the fry but remember I dont know how far your sticking the thermometer in the water the deeper the water the cooler it will be as you go down. You can also move it into the shade and that might help.
Old 08-17-2011, 02:29 PM   #26 
BetterBetta

Okay I tried to acclimate my female again, but she got super pale and clamped, I freaked out once again but her back in her tank. I'm afraid to put her in the bucket. The bucket is in the shade, but should I try later in the day when the water is considerably cooler, like her tank, so it won't be so dramatic for her? And Thanks for helping, I appreciate it!
Old 08-17-2011, 02:33 PM   #27 
Creat

I have never spawned outside but like when you adding a new fish when the tank is dark I assume introducing her in the dark would be less stressful for her. Also I wouldnt keep moving her back and forth between tank and the spawning bucket it may cause more stress then just putting her in there and having her get used to it over a period of time.
Old 08-17-2011, 02:43 PM   #28 
BetterBetta

Okay, I'm going to try again at dusk, that gives her a good 4 & 1/2 hours to rest. I know it must be stressful, moving her back and forth, and I regret it >:(. But I'm just afraid of her dying from temp. shock, because her tank is about 79 degrees.. SO like I said, I'm going to try later and hope that it cools down some
Old 08-17-2011, 02:44 PM   #29 
Creat

I think doing it at dusk is your best bet and good luck!
Old 08-17-2011, 03:41 PM   #30 
Oldfishlady

In my outside containers I use for spawning..the temp is over 100F for the better part of the day and here of late....it rarely goes down below 100F.....healthy fish can generally tolerate this and as long as you are using deep water so that the fish can move to cooler temp usually they will be fine....the slow gradual change in temp with healthy fish is usually tolerated......be sure your containers are NOT getting any sun or limited sun during the heat of the day...watch the fish for signs of stress and leave them in the water...by moving to and fro the inside outside can be more stressful on them than the temp itself......leave them outside and observe....if the fish is healthy it should be fine.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote