Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-10-2011, 02:14 PM   #1 
nel3
Member
 
nel3's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Montreal
sudden occurence of fin rot

my new DT betta in the filtered 2.5g had a nearly perfect set of fins aside from that tail biting from shipping (can be seen in avy). just came back to see 1cm of fin rot on both caudal tails and some on the dorsal. he was in a 2.5g 27cesius heated tank. had a 50wc 2 days ago, ial 7.0ph and anacharis in the tank.

i immediately got him started on AQ salt. top caudal tain is spilt halfway in and outer edges of bottom caudal is nearly 7mm missing uniformly. going to take a pic when i acclimate him and put him in the 1gal. edges of his fins are brown.

is it common enough for this much damage to occur within 12hours? the bottom caudal isnt as worrying as the top caudal tail.
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 02:25 PM   #2 
Sakura8
Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Elk Grove, California
Get that pic up ASAP. It IS not common to see fin rot move that fast. Is the coloring brown or more of a silver-gray? There's a disease that is highly fatal, starts this way. I need to see pics to rule it out.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 02:42 PM   #3 
nel3
Member
 
nel3's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Montreal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
Get that pic up ASAP. It IS not common to see fin rot move that fast. Is the coloring brown or more of a silver-gray? There's a disease that is highly fatal, starts this way. I need to see pics to rule it out.
thank you very much for the quick reply Sakura. the pics are uploading, its more of a reddish brown. which desease would it be in worst case? what would cause this fatal disease to occur?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us


Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited by nel3; 08-10-2011 at 02:49 PM.
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 02:51 PM   #4 
Sakura8
Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Elk Grove, California
Okay, the really great news is your guy definitely doesn't have that disease. As of right now, we don't even know what disease it is exactly. We only know the symptoms and the outcome. It starts with a black, almost graphite-colored patch spreading from the fins to the body in a matter of hours. It kills usually within a day. But your guy IS OKAY. Bad news is I think he might be a tailbiter still. I don't see the brown in the pics but I have a feeling this much damage is from tailbiting. The brown may be the beginnings of fin rot but the fin loss is from biting. Stress Coat, high-protein diet, warm water, and the usual 1 tsp of aquarium salt per gallon ought to help prevent the fin rot from advancing any further.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 02:56 PM   #5 
nel3
Member
 
nel3's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Montreal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
Okay, the really great news is your guy definitely doesn't have that disease. As of right now, we don't even know what disease it is exactly. We only know the symptoms and the outcome. It starts with a black, almost graphite-colored patch spreading from the fins to the body in a matter of hours. It kills usually within a day. But your guy IS OKAY. Bad news is I think he might be a tailbiter still. I don't see the brown in the pics but I have a feeling this much damage is from tailbiting. The brown may be the beginnings of fin rot but the fin loss is from biting. Stress Coat, high-protein diet, warm water, and the usual 1 tsp of aquarium salt per gallon ought to help prevent the fin rot from advancing any further.
thank you very much, look at the dorsal tail near the end thats the reddish brown. put in extra pics although blurry to show it. my big issue is his top caudal tail is split 3/4 of the lenght. he's always been on stresscoat but im going to get him used to 7.4 instead of 7.0. this is a hard blow for me, that small u form the bottom caudal was healing then this. i dont mean to sound preferential but if it happened to Nel then it wouldnt be as bad but still quite shocking. i like Nelliel quite a bit more for the colors.

if im lucky and its just sever finrot and biting, how will i know when the finrot is gone?

Last edited by nel3; 08-10-2011 at 03:06 PM.
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 03:06 PM   #6 
Sakura8
Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Elk Grove, California
Okay, I can see the brown spots. Looks like a little like blood. Wow, he really did a number on himself. :( I can see why you'd like Nelliel, he is a gorgeous, gorgeous guy.

One product you might consider ordering from Foster and Smith Aquatics is Vita-Chem freshwater. You put a drop per gallon in the tank and you also soak their food in it a few times a week. It's really good for encouraging fin regrowth.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 03:13 PM   #7 
nel3
Member
 
nel3's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Montreal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
Okay, I can see the brown spots. Looks like a little like blood. Wow, he really did a number on himself. :( I can see why you'd like Nelliel, he is a gorgeous, gorgeous guy.

One product you might consider ordering from Foster and Smith Aquatics is Vita-Chem freshwater. You put a drop per gallon in the tank and you also soak their food in it a few times a week. It's really good for encouraging fin regrowth.
thank you, that little guy sure did go into a frenzy. Nel is chronic and more agressive, never did such a number on himself. Nelliel is the calmer betta and im starting to rethink that a bit. the blood also shows on the center top caudal. i'll definately get the vita chem freshwater, it will be useful for both of my betta. i'll check the 2 LPS nearby for that, not too worried about the price i'll have to pay to get Nelliel back to health. he's been acclimated to AQ salt and 7.6 ph within 2 minutes, i do expect some more damage as he gets used to AQ salt. put a bit of tannins infor light colour. off to LPS now.
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 03:21 PM   #8 
Sakura8
Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Elk Grove, California
Good luck at the LPS!
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 04:11 PM   #9 
nel3
Member
 
nel3's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Montreal
im back, not much luck, did get betta revive for prevention/control of protozoan, bacterial and fungal diseases. says it has active ingredients for fast recovery. not sure if it will work for biting but it'll be handy if theres some diseases.
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 08:43 PM   #10 
Silverfang
Member
 
Silverfang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Newfoundland
API stress coat is also good for fin biters (wow, he really did a number on himself! poor boy... poor you!). Also high protein food should encourage fresh growth, live if possible, frozen if not.
He looks like a beauty, hope you get him straightened out!
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
It was so sudden :( LittleNibbles93 Betta Memorials 2 03-04-2011 02:34 AM
Sudden clamp!!! wallywestisthebest333 Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies 22 07-16-2010 09:27 AM
Sudden Illness haruko Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies 6 06-29-2010 02:24 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:07 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.