Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-11-2011, 08:59 AM   #11 
MomokoCove

But I am trying.I do sometimes give them a little bit of ice.Right now I am betta-less.But I'm working on fixing their filter.So don't go saying I am poor fish keeper when you hardly know how hard I've been trying.
MomokoCove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 09:06 AM   #12 
youlovegnats

Everyone calm down now...
Momoko- no one is jabbing fingers at you. They mean well- people here just really care for their animals. However, I have to agree with the others on this. Goldfish need 60F-range temps, 80 is way too high, and if your filter is broken, you should really go replace it quickly- as ammonia builds up very quickly in goldfish tanks. Don't go wrongfully accusing people of being ignorant to you. A lot of people have been banned recently due to being rude to others.
Remember- this site is for gaining HELP and KNOWLEDGE. If you don't want it, don't ask.
youlovegnats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 11:35 AM   #13 
ForbiddenSecrets

Saa sorry if that came off as rude. I think replacing animals for others just because you want a new one really is bad pet ownership. If you really can't take care of the goldfish and want to rehome them that is different. The phrasing "I want to get rid of my goldfish to have more room for bettas." led us to believe you were just trying to swap them out.

Regardless the females really should never be in the same tank as the goldfish.
ForbiddenSecrets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 01:40 PM   #14 
PewPewPew

When the filter IS fixed, leave the top open and allow a large cascade of water from the fall, to help cool it down. The more disruption, the cooler itll be. If you have an airstone, shove that in, too- for the same.

And I agree with forbiddensecrets. It really did sound that way. I was under the impression that you were trying to get rid of one for another. Actually- I still am.

Again, no one was being rude. Just trying to help.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 02:32 PM   #15 
MomokoCove

@PewPewPew I don't really want to get rid of my goldfish.It's more like wishing I had a pond or larger tank for them.If anything I'm clearing the bookshelf to make room to obtain a new tank.That way it will hopefully be easier to keep their tanks running if I have two separate ones.
Old 08-12-2011, 12:00 AM   #16 
TheCrysCat

...But you still can't house your bettas with goldfish. Ignoring the different temperatures, there's a chance the goldfish will decide to bully the betta, especially if there's a big difference in size. Or vice versa.
TheCrysCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 12:50 AM   #17 
shinybetta

Some goldfish can be housed in 70 degree temps (if they were born in a hot area they adapt well, especially fancies), but 80 is really hot. Thats above average for most tropical fish too.
shinybetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 07:29 AM   #18 
MomokoCove

I don't know what they recommend for temperatures around where you guys all are but I'm pretty far up north.That's why the common recommendation where I live for tropical fishes is about 80 degrees and 70 at a bare minimum.I don't have any bettas anymore.We've gotten past that point.Plus some housing methods work for different people.:/
Old 08-12-2011, 07:48 AM   #19 
youlovegnats

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomokoCove View Post
Plus some housing methods work for different people.:/
True, however housing goldfish with bettas (two totally different species with totally different needs) never works in any kind of setup.
youlovegnats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 09:46 AM   #20 
cajunamy
Banned

Momoko - all I have to say is, that if you aren't going to listen to reason and wisdom from experienced fish keepers, then why are you here?
cajunamy is offline   Reply With Quote