Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-10-2011, 03:02 PM   #1 
crystalmylovee

Question dechlorinator and conditioner

what's better? and what's the difference?
crystalmylovee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 07:10 PM   #2 
BETTA DET

Dechlorinator is more important. Chlorine will kill your fish. Or yopu could use one that does both. I use API stress coat + and have never had an issue.
BETTA DET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 08:17 PM   #3 
crystalmylovee

Quote:
Originally Posted by BETTA DET View Post
Dechlorinator is more important. Chlorine will kill your fish. Or yopu could use one that does both. I use API stress coat + and have never had an issue.
that's good to know (: thank you
Old 08-10-2011, 08:36 PM   #4 
dragonflie

It really matters what the quality of your source water is, if you are trying for a minimalist approach when it comes to water conditioner.

I have a city water supply that's treated with chlorine and chloramine, so I use Amquel+ and Novaqua :)
dragonflie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 09:41 PM   #5 
Nexangelus

I've tried them all and all except API's tap water conditioner seemed to do the trick. You're simply using it to remove chlorine, chlorination and ammonia from a water source, so I've never been a fan of the fancy stress coat buffering dechlorinators, and have my questions about the validity of their stress-coat enhancement. Plus, they always tend to be more expensive for that reason.

For years I used Amquel and never had a problem with it. But them Prime was released by Seachem and it blew Amquel out of the water (hehe, aquarium pun!). I believe my comparison between the normal medium-sized bottles showed that you needed a whole lot less of Prime to dechlorinate, and the price was almost identical. I can't recall the exact numbers, but I think prime could dechlorinate about 3x more water per bottle than amquel (or any other conditioner). Plus, it doesn't have that stress coat junk, but it claims to aid filters and surfaces in breaking down Nitrates and Nitrites. A modest, non-flashy promise that I've actually found to be true.

So, without sounding like a Prime salesman, it really is the best deal. At the end of the day they're all dechlorinators and do the same thing, so why not get the most bang for your buck. That's the way I see it, anyways.
Nexangelus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 10:27 PM   #6 
crystalmylovee

thank you (: I've heard so many good things about prime
Old 08-11-2011, 12:47 AM   #7 
PewPewPew

Conditioner is dechlorinator+ heavy metal remover. Why get one, when you can get both?
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 02:16 AM   #8 
HatsuneMiku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexangelus View Post
I can't recall the exact numbers, but I think prime could dechlorinate about 3x more water per bottle than amquel (or any other conditioner). Plus, it doesn't have that stress coat junk, but it claims to aid filters and surfaces in breaking down Nitrates and Nitrites.
is your reference to stress coat the same thing as slime coat?

cus on my bottle of prime it says:

"removes chlorine chloramine, ammonia
detoxifies nitrite and nitrate
provides slime coat"

and the numbers form the brands/types i've tried are:
Aqueon water conditoner (59ml bottle) .. $2.99 at the store
- 5ml per 10gal
seachem prime (50ml bottle) .. $3.99 at the store
- it says 2 drops per gal
- it also says 50ml treats 500 US gallons
- which means 5ml would treat 50 gallons

so your getting 5 times more value in prime then aqueon ..

then i had this sample of tetra water conditioner .. and it smelled sooo bad like a skunk had sprayed rotten eggs .. that i just threw it away .. i was really gross
HatsuneMiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 02:38 AM   #9 
PewPewPew

Those packages stay in the tanks for too long, and are often expired. :( It doesnt normally smell.

Top Fin's product is also very good 2 drops/gallon, same as prime.
The only thing it doesnt do is bond with ammonia. In my tanks, with lots of plants, this isnt an issue. I pay less for the Top Fin, so I just buy that. Its also easier to get, too, so if I ran out, I could get it easier and not have to condition my fish to a new product.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 03:00 AM   #10 
HatsuneMiku

Quote:
Originally Posted by PewPewPew View Post
Those packages stay in the tanks for too long, and are often expired. :( It doesnt normally smell.

Top Fin's product is also very good 2 drops/gallon, same as prime.
The only thing it doesnt do is bond with ammonia. In my tanks, with lots of plants, this isnt an issue. I pay less for the Top Fin, so I just buy that. Its also easier to get, too, so if I ran out, I could get it easier and not have to condition my fish to a new product.
eww .. i didn't know water conditioner had an expiration date .. good thing i threw it out =D ..

also i thought all water conditioners were the same thing .. @_@ so my fish have to get used to it if i changed brands ? cus i had aqueon first .. and it only lasted me a month before i ran out of it D= .. i've had this bottle of prime for about 2 months now and it's still full .. the prime kind of smells like sulfer ..
HatsuneMiku is offline   Reply With Quote