Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-17-2011, 12:11 PM   #1 
Wolfman2011

Tank Cleaning/ water change

Hi,
Ok so I have gone from having a small 2liter tank to a 1.5 Gal. (the Largest I am allowed to have for the next few year while at school, even this took some convincing with the folks I will be living with, i know it is still small, BUT it is better then flushing the Betta).. To the question now, I saw somewhere on this site a guide for how to clean the tanks, it had tank size and how often it should be cleaned/ changed but can not find it now, can someone link me or tell me how often I should clean/ change the water,
.. the tank has a filter unit, and a heater. I am considering bare bottom, with a small silk plant and floating silk plant, & a small plastic decoration. but May use some stones if it is recommended.

Thanks
Matt
Wolfman2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 12:45 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

The 1.5gal tank is fine....with a filter...water changes of twice weekly 50%...1-50% water only and 1-50% to include the substrate by vacuum or stir and dip should maintain water quality provided that you don't over feed and uneaten food is removed within a reasonable time.....

Give the filter media a swish/rinse in old tank water a couple of times a month

If you find that the filter is too strong you can either baffle it or remove it and if you remove the filter (this is fine) change the 50% with vacuum to a 100% and along with the 50% water only-that should maintain water quality and fin health......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 01:13 PM   #3 
Wolfman2011

Oldfishlady:: Thank you for your help. any suggestions on the small stones?

thank you again, This site and the folks on it are very friendly and helpful.
Matt
Wolfman2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 02:50 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

Gravel or bare bottom....either are fine and both have advantages and disadvantages......its what you like and want......

Small diameter smooth gravel is best and easiest on the fins...

Too large, sharp, rough can tatter fins, fins can get pinched between them, food can fall between the spaces...etc.....

By going bare bottom-it limits surface area for good bacteria and tanks can be more prone to clouding...but can be easier to clean....however, the tank can look dirtier between cleanings....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote