Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-10-2011, 04:09 PM   #1 
rob1981

Newbie Tank Setup

Hi,

I am a newbie to betta fish and am looking for some advice on the ideal tank setup before I start. I have a small tank which i would like to use (4 gallons).

Here are the questions:
1. What filter, if any would you recommend for this tank
2. How many betta fish could i have in this tank. Could i possibly have a male and a female?

The other option is my other tank (38 gallon) which currently contains 4 small angelfish, 2 bala sharks, a small clown loach, a common pleco and a bristlenose. This tank has a Fluval U4 filter.
rob1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 04:14 PM   #2 
CoverMeInClay

Only one fish in the tank. Males and females will fight and seriously injure, if not kill each other in almost all cases if kept in that situation. I can't recomend a filter as i do not have a lot of experience with the variouse types. I wouldn't think about using the 38 gallon as a comunity for a betta, the angel pish would go after him/her. Stick with the 4 gallon and one betta.
CoverMeInClay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 05:02 PM   #3 
Comet1993

Just the one fish should go into the four-gallon. The larger tank isn't a good idea; angels and bettas shouldn't be put together, not only because of the differences in enviromental needs.. They have small filters at my local pet shop.. Maybe you should browse around to find a suitable one.
Comet1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 12:50 AM   #4 
PewPewPew

Try the tetra whisper 3i.

Its not the greatest filter in the world- but it works and isnt too strong. It wont suck up the fish and it wont push them around too much. The aiirattor is a little noisy.

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=2752355
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 01:57 AM   #5 
Shaon

You can try sponge filters? I've heard a lot of good things about them and if I'm not mistaking there is a DIY sponge filter thread floating around somewhere. I might be confusing myself with tropicalfish forum though :P

More important than a filter, is a heater. Try to find a heater for your 4 gallon tank.
Shaon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 02:01 AM   #6 
PewPewPew

^ agreed! Heaters> filters.

I forgot to mention sponge filters. I dont have links to any non-DIY ones, however. Theyre fantastic for bettas.
Old 08-11-2011, 01:13 PM   #7 
Draug Isilme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaon View Post
You can try sponge filters? I've heard a lot of good things about them and if I'm not mistaking there is a DIY sponge filter thread floating around somewhere. I might be confusing myself with tropicalfish forum though :P

More important than a filter, is a heater. Try to find a heater for your 4 gallon tank.
Ya know, I've been hearing good things about sponge filters, too ^.^ I'm tempted to try it, and while I do think you're right that there's a thread floating around about sponge filters, there are also DIY videos on youtube if all else fails! I just looked it up xD There might be better ones, but this is the first one I came across. All I'd have to do is buy a sponge, and I'm set! Everything else on the list is conveniently already at my house >.>;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXcFEZhhKh0
Draug Isilme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 01:19 PM   #8 
rob1981

Thanks for the replies. So i have established that i will use the 4 gallon tank and i will only keep one fish in it. I had not mentioned heaters in my post as i took that a little for granted and already have one but thank you for pointing out.

I am looking at the filters recommended and the sponge filter is looking quite interesting. I also found some DIY tutorials for building a sponge filter but at the same time they are rather cheap online so might just order one. Any comments about under gravel filters? I have seen many mixed reviews!
Old 08-11-2011, 01:22 PM   #9 
PewPewPew

Undergravel filters work in big tanks- they collect bacteria and break it down. In a small tank, there simply isnt enough surface area to do so effectively. I would either do sponge or do a small internal filter :)
Old 08-11-2011, 03:12 PM   #10 
rob1981

I am really liking this sponge filter. Easy to make considering i have all i need here at home. Now if i went with the sponge filter how frequently would i need water changes and how much water would i need to change. I read that without a filter i would need a 50% change every other day and a 100% change once a week.

Tags
filter, newbie, setup