Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? Its his own castle

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Aqueon Betta Food
How often do you feed your betta fish? 3-4 pellets 2 times a day

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? every week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? at least 2 gals sometimes I will do more
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Prime

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? Have not tested

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Laying on the bottom or just floating at the top now has white stuff coming out of scales also scales on head popping up
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? become very lazy laying around almost like he was not going to make it
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Sunday Night
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Did water change added AQ salt right away on Sunday. Monday did another water change and added ES this time
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No
How old is your fish (approximately)?I have only had him for 8 months got him from Petco so I do not know his age

I am really stuck trying to figure out with is wrong with him he has times where he will swim around and almost be himself but then he goes right back to laying on the bottom looking around. Also 1 of his eyes looks like it might be getting bigger but I am not sure if its just cuz I am looking for something to be wrong or not
Slayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 01:08 AM   #2 
Sakura8

Can you get a picture of the white stuff coming out of his head? Or describe it: is it fluffy or does it look slimy? Can you describe the scales popping up on his head more? Do you see any white spots on him? And is he breathing heavily?
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 06:03 AM   #3 
Slayers

This is the only pic I could get of it after I took it he started moving around and hiding again. It has kinda of cotton look but it does not look like it would be soft more like its hard
Attached Images

Old 08-11-2011, 07:22 AM   #4 
Sakura8

Hard to say about the whitish stuff but I can definitely say he's got popeye. Move him into a small QT container that you can keep warm. He'll need to be in epsom salts, 3 tsps per gallon, pre dissolve before pouring in. Do 100% daily water changes and redo the salt for the next 10 days. Post back if he gets any worse.

Water changes for a filtered 5 gallon should be 1 50% a week, sounds like you're close to that. Is your tank cycled? Maybe step the water change up to 1 25% and 1 50% a week when he's able to go back into his tank.
Old 08-11-2011, 09:25 AM   #5 
Slayers

What size QT tank should I use I have an extra 2 1/2 gal that I was planning to use as a QT tank but will that be to big?

And should I use just the Epsom salt or should I use other stuff to I have Maracyn which says its for popeye?

Also with the Epsom salt do I leave that in the tank or do you put the fish in the salt water for a few mins then pull them out?

sorry for so many questions just want to make sure I get it right
Old 08-11-2011, 09:49 AM   #6 
Sakura8

No, a 2 1/2 g is good because you can heat it. If you have Maracyn-II, then you might also want to use that as well as the epsom salt. The popeye is due to a bacterial infection causing fluids to build up behind his eyes and the Maracyn-II will help take care of that. The epsom salts will help reduce swelling. And you'll want to leave the fish in the epsom salt. It won't hurt him.

Don't worry about the questions, it just shows you're a responsible fish owner. I'm glad you want to make sure you get it right.