Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-18-2011, 10:30 AM   #1 
Burd

Columnaris :(

I lost my poor Lulu over night yesterday to columnaris. She was in a tank with several platys and another female betta. I had had a platy die to columnaris about a month prior and treated the tank back then with the antibiotics I had. Nothing else went wrong so I (obviously) mistakenly assumed I had gotten rid of it.

My local pet shop sold me Furan-2 as a possible cure to any remaining bacteria that may be in my tank and I'm treating it with it right now. Has anyone else had to battle columnaris before and successfully rid their tank of it? Is there anything else that might work better?
Burd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 10:42 AM   #2 
GreenTea

Hey Burd... I don't know if you saw but I lost Ludwig to columnaris this last night too =[ I'm so sorry for your loss. I

I used aq salt and betta revive, it still killed him in 24 hours.
GreenTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 11:06 AM   #3 
Oldfishlady

Flexibacter columnaris is ubiquitous or always in the tank-waiting for the right conditions to infect the fish.....most common cause is stress that compromise the immune response-weakening the fish-

In tanks that are overstocked, poorly stocked, with poor husbandry, low water movement, high temps this bacteria can thrive....

Prevention is the best method of control-proper/stable water temp, quality water, avoid overcrowding/poor stocking, good nutrition....generally-avoid stressful conditions.....

Support the immune response.....you can add all the antibiotics you want, however, all this is going to do is kill off both good and bad bacteria.......the columnaris will be back...but this doesn't mean your fish will get sick unless it is stressed......then it will be a never ending battle....prevention is the best treatment.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 11:09 AM   #4 
GreenTea

I didn't know it was ever present like that! My guy who died has just come into my care, he was probably sick when I got him. For a day he ate well and seemed really happy in his tank, and then was gone.
Old 08-18-2011, 11:54 AM   #5 
GreenTea

OFL - What do with with a columnaris tank then? I could throw out the gravel, but there were live plants in there as well. Do I need to toss out the plants? This has me wanting to get rid of the whole tank!
Old 08-18-2011, 11:58 AM   #6 
Oldfishlady

Prevention-proper stocking, water changes, temp, nutrition etc.....by supporting a strong immune response in the fish....the fish will do all the work...but you have to give it the tools.....quality water, nutrition, proper stocking...etc.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote