Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-21-2011, 08:10 PM   #111 
bahamut285

Hello SVC, I'm glad to hear your pH is relatively stable for now. I know driftwood increases pH and seashells increase kH and GH (they release Calcium Carbonate) but I am definitely not aware of what kind of shells you're supposed to purchase. All the things at my LPS are ceramic/plastic no no help at all.

Is there anybody in the tank? Sorry I keep asking, too many cases to deal with and I forget details xD;; Your tank sounds like it will start cycling as long as the pH holds :)
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 09:19 PM   #112 
Sakura8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlyons01 View Post
Hiya, yeah the more pictures I was just taking the more that tonight it looks like a blue green coloring of his scales, and that is not the same as what I thought I was seeing. So for now, I have no other questions. For the night anyway!! I am sure that something will come up and I will look to you for your precious opinions. I am sure that I am not alone in saying this, but it is so very nice to have other that take caring for these guys as serious as we do. If not for this forum, and especially Sakura and SVC as well as darkmoon, I would not have anyone to talk to about my boys. My kids are not old enough, my oldest is but she doesn't pay attention and my hubby has no time for such things... LOL I guess I am just trying to say how grateful I am that I have this group to talk to and feel comfortable enough to ask questions with reliable responses, that I don't have to wait weeks for. Thanks you all, your the bestest!!!
I love this forum too. I'm a member of another fish forum but I haven't posted there in months. No one is as nice as the people here. And no one seems to be as knowledgeable as the people here, either. I know a lot of people ask questions about non-betta fish here just because they know they'll get good help. I'm glad I can be of help to you, tlyons and SVC.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 10:56 PM   #113 
SVC

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahamut285 View Post
Hello SVC, I'm glad to hear your pH is relatively stable for now. I know driftwood increases pH and seashells increase kH and GH (they release Calcium Carbonate) but I am definitely not aware of what kind of shells you're supposed to purchase. All the things at my LPS are ceramic/plastic no no help at all. I think the shells you are supposed to use are natural sea shells. I was told that you could even collect them from the beach if you wanted but you have to boil them really well to make sure they are safe to put in the tank, and you also have to make sure they don't have that buildup on outisde because that would release too much salt into the water and that doesn't work for freshwater tanks. They usually sell hermit crab shells at my petsmart and I think those are fine. I got a pack from the dollar store too. Just have to make sure and boil them, and they can't have any laquer on them or anything. My fish guy says he has them in his tank and they work great.

Is there anybody in the tank? Sorry I keep asking, too many cases to deal with and I forget details xD;; Your tank sounds like it will start cycling as long as the pH holds :) No worries, it's awesome that you help so many people, of course it's hard to keep all the cases straight! LOL Currently I have 3 zebra danios in the tank to keep the cycle from stalling. They seem to be doing ok. Hopefully the low KH won't interfere with cycling process although I'd love to figureout why there is such a difference between the KH in my tank and tap.
Thanks for checking up on me!
SVC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 11:18 PM   #114 
SVC

Hmmm, tlyons this is really stumping me as to why Shimmer is just not feeling his best! If it is not velvet or anything like that, then what could it be? I know PTG was hanging behind the filter too when I first had problems a couple of weeks ago; hence my threat title of betta hanging in the corner. He'd be vertical, much like Shimmer and just stay there doing nothing. The first time I saw him like that I thought he was dead. *shudders* Then he started hiding all the time and wouldn't come out for hours and he wasn't interested in eating. I'm guessing my problem started from the ammonia spike in my tank. Also, I think the medicated pellets are helping him because so far he has not been buoyant all day. Are you sure Shimmer couldn't have something internal going on? I know you said his poops were normal, but I just can't think of what else might be going on. I really hope tomorrow will be a better day for him, and you!

I'm also glad your Half Moon is not having a colour change for bad reasons. It's pretty freaky that bettas can change their colours with moods and with age/time etc.

I think that is so sweet what you said about being here for each other and our fishies. Honestly, I never thought I would feel this way when my daughter brought this little guy home. In fact, some of the other moms laughed at me because I went out and got a real aquarium when they just put their in pickle jars! I wonder if any of them are still alive? Even the girl at the pet store told me she was really touched that I cared so much to do the right thing to keep my betta alive. She said so many people just leave them to chance and don't care if they are looking after them well or not. It's awesome to have a place where people won't look at you funny because you care so much about your fish. You guys are awesome too and everyone is so willing to help each other. It really makes me, personally, feel very comfortable and I am so grateful to you guys! I just feel bad because I wish I could contribute something useful to someone but I am so new at all this I don't want to step in anywhere and act like I know something. lol Basically, you guys are the bestest too!
Old 08-22-2011, 11:39 AM   #115 
tlyons01

Hey all,
I am happy to report that it seems like Shimmer is having a better day. He and Blewie both got 95% water changes last night, and while they got to see each other for a short while, both were busily flaring at eachother. I am actually thinking that all this time, it may have been due to ammonia poisoning as well. His cup water was very dirty when I brought him home. Then giving him high levels of salt for 6 days and then meds for a week, I am sure that I did not help him to recover. So for now, it'll be clean clean water with some stress coat. I am glad to hear PTG is also showing better results from his med food, hopefully he will put the buoyancy issue behind him... pun intended! Have a great day, and TTYL !
tlyons01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 12:22 PM   #116 
Sakura8

Hi tlyons, I'm glad to hear Shimmer is doing better. How long have you had him? It's definitely possible he was suffering from ammonia in his little cup. I'm very glad he has you know to help him feel better. Don't feel bad, you were trying to help him and in fact, you may have killed any bacteria or parasites he might have had with the meds and salt. Now it's up to clean water and Stress Coat and I bet he'll feel great very soon.

SVC, so glad to hear PTG is holding steady so far. It sounds like the medicated pellets are helping him which is great news. Definitely keep me posted, I'll be checking in often.
Old 08-22-2011, 01:51 PM   #117 
SVC

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlyons01 View Post
Hey all,
I am happy to report that it seems like Shimmer is having a better day. He and Blewie both got 95% water changes last night, and while they got to see each other for a short while, both were busily flaring at eachother. I am actually thinking that all this time, it may have been due to ammonia poisoning as well. His cup water was very dirty when I brought him home. Then giving him high levels of salt for 6 days and then meds for a week, I am sure that I did not help him to recover. So for now, it'll be clean clean water with some stress coat. I am glad to hear PTG is also showing better results from his med food, hopefully he will put the buoyancy issue behind him... pun intended! Have a great day, and TTYL !
Wooohooo, I am so happy Shimmer seems to be feeling better today! It sounds like you and I had the same issues all along! I think it takes a lot to put a Betta down, but if the ammonia gets bad enough, it takes a toll on them. PTG never acted sick when he had ich early on, and the fin rot never bothered him either. Also once, I mistakenly put water that was a few degrees too warm back in during a water change and the tetras were having a fit (and one died ), but PTG never seemed bothered. This time though when the ammonia spiked, he suffered and he was breathing really heavy for a few days. It took 3 tetras out in one 24 hour period and then when the breathing recovered, he got all these buoyancy issues. Today is day 2 that he hasn't been floating! Yeeha! Hopefully this is the light at the end of the tunnel! It's been almost two weeks! Hopefully your little guy will also continue on the upswing now. Glad Blewie is doing well too. Flaring is always a good sign, I think. I know PTG would not flare when he was floating or otherwise feel sick.

You have yourself a great day too! :)
Old 08-22-2011, 02:08 PM   #118 
SVC

Good afternoon Sakura, how is your little rescue this morning? I'm really rooting for him to do well and recover. Who knows, you might just get attached to him and not be able to give him up. lol

As for PTG, I'm knocking on all the wood around me as we are on day 2 of no buoyancy! Woohoo. He is even blowing a bubble nest in his QT! I've figured out that he really is a lot more content in still water. I'm so torn as to what to do when his quarantine period is over. Should I return him to the 10 gallon or put him somewhere else? If I put him in the ten gallon, he's got the danios to contend with and I think they will stress him out as they are too hyper. If I get another tank, that will make 3 including the wall tank, and I don't think I have the time to be maintaing 3 tanks. I had my eye on a fluval edge or chi but it would be yet another tank to deal with. I guess I'll have to figure it out.

Have a great day!
Old 08-22-2011, 07:31 PM   #119 
tlyons01

Just wanted to stop in and share, that Shimmer has also built a bubble nest. I have had him for maybe 5 weeks, I think. I think I had him for a week before Aug 1, which was the day I started taking his pictures. This is only the second time he has built a nest since I brought him home. I know its not a sign of happiness and that sometimes they do it when they are sick, but given his short history with me, I believe it is a good sign. Sounds like PTG may very well stay on the path of recovery as well. I must have missed that you have a new rescue, Sakura. Hope things are well with that one, but I am sure since you are caring for it, its in good hands.. TTYL everyone!
Attached Images

tlyons01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 12:25 AM   #120 
Sakura8

Hi SVC and tlyons. It sounds like things are looking up for both Shimmer and PTG which is fantastic news. Bubblenesting isn't always a sign of happiness but really, if a betta is super sick I doubt he's going to have the energy to build a nest, don't you? So I'm going to look upon the bubblenests your boys are making as good signs.

SVC, I'm so happy to hear PTG hasn't had any buoyancy issues for 2 days! *knock knock* It looks like the medicated pellets may be kicking in. Yay!

tlyons, Shimmer looks like he feels much better in that picture. I think clean water will do the trick for the little guy.

As for my little rescue, he's hanging in there but far from out of danger. He got a water change today and I'll try to feed him again in a while. So far, he hasn't been hungry at all. Here's hoping he's got an appetite soon.

I'll check back in your boys tomorrow but I'm getting the feeling they're on the road to recovery and won't need checking in soon.