Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-23-2011, 11:41 AM   #121 
SVC

Hey tlyons, that is great that Shimmer has built another bubble nest! Although they say it doesn't necessarily mean something when they do that, I think overall it is a good sign - at least that he is probably looking to find a female and have some babies, and when that is on their minds, they must be feeling good, right? lol Also, I have heard that sick bubbles are not the same as a bubble nest. Apparently, the sick bubbles are more random and scattered rather than all together and organized, and I think they are also larger too. I know when PTG was having the buoyancy problems so bad he was floating on his side, he was making those larger, random bubbles and some of them were coming out of his gills. I think our guys are making good bubbles for sure. Last night, PTG was looking like he was going to tear the danios apart everytime they swam by him. Poor thing was flaring and banging into the qt tank trying to get at them. lol

Btw, I saw on another thread that Sakura had rescued a sick little boy with velvet and so I was commenting about that. Sorry if it came out of the blue.
SVC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 11:47 AM   #122 
SVC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
SVC, I'm so happy to hear PTG hasn't had any buoyancy issues for 2 days! *knock knock* It looks like the medicated pellets may be kicking in. Yay! Going on day 3 now - still knocking on wood!

tlyons, Shimmer looks like he feels much better in that picture. I think clean water will do the trick for the little guy.

As for my little rescue, he's hanging in there but far from out of danger. He got a water change today and I'll try to feed him again in a while. So far, he hasn't been hungry at all. Here's hoping he's got an appetite soon. How is he doing today? Any luck eating? He's been in my thoughts hoping he's not too far gone for a recovery!

I'll check back in your boys tomorrow but I'm getting the feeling they're on the road to recovery and won't need checking in soon.
I know, what a milestone it seems like, sniff sniff...
Old 08-23-2011, 12:28 PM   #123 
Sakura8

Good morning. 3 days. It does seem like such a milestone.

Regarding the bubbles - sick bettas usually have trouble swimming and staying at the surface so they often gasp for air as they struggle to reach the surface instead of taking their usual "bite" of air. The result leaves bubbles here and there. A true formed bubblenest is a good sign.

My little rescue did eat and I was happy but I just checked on him and his swim bladder is not working. I found him nosediving in his plant and when I moved it, he spun out of control. He's in an inch of water floating on his side in a small cup. I'm hoping the food just did something temporary, I only gave him 3 bloodworms. :/ Hopefuly he can regain control. I'll check on him again soon.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 12:38 PM   #124 
bahamut285

Am I missing anything? Just checking in
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 09:26 AM   #125 
SVC

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahamut285 View Post
Am I missing anything? Just checking in
Nothing much going on Bahamut. I did another water test yesterday and everything was still the same except ammonia had climbed to 0.5 yet nitrates/ites were still 0. My KH is still at 3 too :/ So my water level was kind of low so I added some new water until Saturday when I will do a pwc with gravel vac. Do you suppose it's time to add some baking soda and if so how much? Also does baking soda last or does it have to be topped up with each water change?

Thanks a lot for checking in! :)
Old 08-24-2011, 09:49 AM   #126 
SVC

Quote:
Good morning. 3 days. It does seem like such a milestone.

Regarding the bubbles - sick bettas usually have trouble swimming and staying at the surface so they often gasp for air as they struggle to reach the surface instead of taking their usual "bite" of air. The result leaves bubbles here and there. A true formed bubblenest is a good sign.

My little rescue did eat and I was happy but I just checked on him and his swim bladder is not working. I found him nosediving in his plant and when I moved it, he spun out of control. He's in an inch of water floating on his side in a small cup. I'm hoping the food just did something temporary, I only gave him 3 bloodworms. :/ Hopefuly he can regain control. I'll check on him again soon.
Hey Sakura, hope your little guy is doing better today. I checked over on the other thread yesterday and saw the updates. He's such a little fighter! Sorry to make you repeat the goings on. I will check over there for all his latest news:)

As for PTG, I don't know if it is just me but he seems a little less active than he has been. Sometimes I think he's clamping his fins but then when I approach him he fans them out again and comes up to look at me. Maybe he is getting depressed being in that small space now that he feels better? I just want to make sure he is completely over his problems before taking him out of there. Another thing is I don't want to put him in my tank now that the ammonia is rising again. Last thing I want is to have him get ammonia poisoning again! I also want to observe his poop on regular food b/c it is still lightish coloured and i'm wondering if it is because the medicated pellets are not as brown as the regular ones. The antibacterial ones are more grayish I think and the anti bacterial ones are like the betta bites. Oh, just one question what kind of food do you feed? I've heard the pellets are not the greatest and they need other things too. I'm just afraid the frozen things will have parasites.

On a positive note, this is day 4 of no buoyancy issues! :)

On a positive note, this is day 4 of no buoyancy issues!
Old 08-24-2011, 09:56 AM   #127 
SVC

Oops disregard the last sentence appearing twice. I'm typing on my phone and I couldn't scroll down to see if I had typed it twice and it wouldn't let me preview the post before submitting it! Grrrr
Old 08-24-2011, 10:51 AM   #128 
Sakura8

Hi SVC! Oh, 4 days of no buoyancy issues is worth repeating. That's great news. In regards to him being less active, it's possible that he's starting to sulk in the smaller space but I also agree with you that putting him back into the 10g would probably be a bad idea. Is there any way you can get a small 2 gallon tank for him to go in while he waits for the 10g to cycle? It doesn't need anything fancy, just a heater. You might even be able to find the so-called Kritter Keepers for not much money.

How long are you supposed to feed the medicated pellets, I've forgotten the dosage. It's possible that the poorer nutritional quality of the pellets is causing his poops to be funny colored still. Are they fuzzy and weird like they were before the pellets?

I feed Omega One Betta Buffet pellets but New Life Spectrum Betta formula is also a very good brand. A good tip for choosing pellets is check the first 2 or 3 ingredients. They should be fish products and then wheat meal/wheat germ. If the second ingredient is wheat meal/germ, then they probably aren't great pellets. I only feed the pellets once a day, the rest of the meals they get frozen bloodworms or frozen brine shrimp. I can understand your concern about parasites in the frozen food but most frozen foods go through a pretty rigorous sterilization process. In fact, in many cases, feeding the frozen food is safer than feeding the live equivalent. :) Pellets are great as a staple diet but it's best to offer a variety of foods so you can shake things up with frozen foods too.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 02:31 PM   #129 
bahamut285

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVC View Post
Nothing much going on Bahamut. I did another water test yesterday and everything was still the same except ammonia had climbed to 0.5 yet nitrates/ites were still 0. My KH is still at 3 too :/ So my water level was kind of low so I added some new water until Saturday when I will do a pwc with gravel vac. Do you suppose it's time to add some baking soda and if so how much? Also does baking soda last or does it have to be topped up with each water change?

Thanks a lot for checking in! :)
I recommend pre-mixing some baking soda and testing before dumping it in. Since your scale is in dKH, try to shoot for a value of 7-10 dKH. Go for around 9 dKH in the premix bucket, then toss it slowly into your tank over the course of 30 or so minutes.
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 02:24 PM   #130 
SVC

Quote:
Hi SVC! Oh, 4 days of no buoyancy issues is worth repeating. That's great news. In regards to him being less active, it's possible that he's starting to sulk in the smaller space but I also agree with you that putting him back into the 10g would probably be a bad idea. Is there any way you can get a small 2 gallon tank for him to go in while he waits for the 10g to cycle? It doesn't need anything fancy, just a heater. You might even be able to find the so-called Kritter Keepers for not much money.

How long are you supposed to feed the medicated pellets, I've forgotten the dosage. It's possible that the poorer nutritional quality of the pellets is causing his poops to be funny colored still. Are they fuzzy and weird like they were before the pellets?

I feed Omega One Betta Buffet pellets but New Life Spectrum Betta formula is also a very good brand. A good tip for choosing pellets is check the first 2 or 3 ingredients. They should be fish products and then wheat meal/wheat germ. If the second ingredient is wheat meal/germ, then they probably aren't great pellets. I only feed the pellets once a day, the rest of the meals they get frozen bloodworms or frozen brine shrimp. I can understand your concern about parasites in the frozen food but most frozen foods go through a pretty rigorous sterilization process. In fact, in many cases, feeding the frozen food is safer than feeding the live equivalent. :) Pellets are great as a staple diet but it's best to offer a variety of foods so you can shake things up with frozen foods too.
Hi Sakura! Sorry I missed this message yesterday. I'm finally starting to relax a little where PTG is concerned and it does indeed seem like he had some parasites that this medication is taking care of. I was advised by DarkMoon to continue this medicated food treatment for 14 days so I guess even though he looks better and acts better now, I still have about a week or so to go. I feel bad keeping him in the QT tank though since he seems to be irritated by being there. Ideally, I would like to put him back in the 10 gallon once it is safe to do so but what do I do with the danios? I guess I could put them in my wall tank once that is up but lord knows when that will be if I want to do a fishless cycle. I was tempted to buy a smaller tank for PTG (I think I mentioend I like the Fluval Edge/Chi) but now that I bought the wall tank, where would I put a third tank? Also, I feel bad making his permanent home a one or two gallon when he was used to the 10 gallons. lol I suppose anything is better than a 5 cup container though. Oh well, I'll figure it out.

Thankfully PTG is now pooping a normal shape and consistency. It is just the colour that is a bit lighter but somehow they look lighter in the water and when I siphon them out and dump in the sink, they look brown. I guess the regular food is a solid reddish brown colour which is why the poops were that colour too. You're probably right that those pellets are not as nutritionally sound as the regular betta food.

I was given betta bites when we first got him but I'm not sure what is in those because they came in a little baggie with him. I then bought him the Omega One colour enhancing pellets but those are so big for his mouth so I alternate with the NLS 0.5mm pellets I was giving the tetras. I presoak all pellets. I did however buy a package of Hikari frozen blood worms yesterday from a little place near me that I found. The guy assured me that it was guaranteed to be sterilized and would contain no parasites unlike the live variety that is notorious for having parasites. I'm trying to find some alternate places to go for fish and stuff other than Petsmart and this one place had some good reviews about the owner and his store. That said, the bettas in there didn't look much better than Petsmart but then I think any place that keeps their bettas in a small cup until purchased will not have them looking too great. Even PTG didn't look very healthy at first in that small cup.

Anyhow, I had a lengthy chat with the guy there (owner was on vacation) and he suggested putting in a live plant to help with my tank and the wonky parametres. I told him I didn't have great plant growing light and he said that java fern along with a couple of others could pretty much grow in the dark. He had lots of live plants that looked great and I picked up a java fern that was already tied to some wood. Now, he said I didn't need to add any kind of fertilizer or nourishment for the plant but I'm not convinced about this. What is your opinion on the matter? It was one of the smallest ones he had, but looks like a tree in my tank. lol It added so much though, I really love the natural look! I hope I can keep it alive. Oh, and it even came with a little hitch hiker - a cute little (and I mean tiny) snail. It must have been on the plant as I found it in the bag when I took the plant out. I put it in the tank and it quickly made it's way onto the glass. The danios tried to pick at it and I shoed them away. Right now it has found its way onto the chord of my heater and has stayed there all morning. Does the snail need any special food other than sucking things off the tank? He was an unexpected surprise. lol I don't even know what kind of snail it is. He's got a grayish shell and very small.