Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-03-2011, 06:43 PM   #151 
SVC

No rush on this Bahamut, it's fine if you see it when you check back here. Sakura, if you are around you can comment on what you think of this...

I hadn't done a water test for over a week so thought I would do one on the tank today.

The numbers were:

pH - holding at 7.8
Ammonia - 0.25
Nitrate - 0
Nitrite - 0
KH - 4
GH - 10

Last time I did the water test, my ammonia was between 0.5 and 1.0

I haven't done a PWC since then and despite the waste having accumulated in a week's time my ammonia has gone down. Still no nitrates and nitrites yet. Will I start getting those once the ammonia is 0? And when the heck is my ammonia ever going to get to 0??????????? It seems I am never going to get to declare this tank cycled!

I'm hoping the live plant has helped take care of some of the ammonia as well as the ceramic discs I added to my filter. Just thought I would post this update on the tank parametres.
SVC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 11:25 PM   #152 
Sakura8

It sounds like, from my inexperienced perspective, that your cycle is in the middle and heading into the nitrite stage. When the ammonia starts dropping on its own, that is a sign the nitrifying bacteria are colonizing and stabilizing. I think. Fairly sure about that. If I'm right, then this is good news. It means you are halfway through the cycling process.

And how is PTG doing? No more suspicious white spots, I hope. How is he doing on his new diet of regular pellets?
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 10:55 PM   #153 
SVC

Hey there Sakura and fishies (male AND females) lol! Hope you had a great weekend. I can't believe the kids are back at school. YAY! Seriously, I do miss them but it is nice to have some time to do stuff without the constant fighting/yelling etc.

So this is what I also gathered from the ammonia coming down by itself. I just don't know why things have taken so long but then I suppose I had a mini crash before and things are just building back up. Maybe I will start seeing some nitrates/nitrites soon.

PTG has been well and no spots any more but (yes there always is a but with him), I'm not sure the conversion to regular pellets has been going flawlessly. He hasn't really pooped much in the last couple of days. All I have seen is a tiny bit of that fuzzy diarrhea looking stuff again but this time it's not white. It's brownish. Maybe he needs a few days to adjust to the regular pellets again but I didn't want to let him get too bloated so I fasted him and will feed him some pea tomorrow. I hope he doesn't start with the buoyancy issues again. The underside of his belly is a little white and he is a bit bloated now so hopefully the pea will take care of it. Other than that he's spazzing out trying to get the danios now that are swimming by him. lol
Old 09-07-2011, 07:55 PM   #154 
Sakura8

:/ PTG, what's wrong with your poor digestive system? How is he doing today? Maybe he just can't digest pellets well because of the wheat content? I've never heard of a betta allergic to gluten but with PTG, nothing would surprise me. He seems to enjoy rewriting the rules on bettas. My only other suggestion aside from what you're doing would be to try a small frozen bloodworm. If you can. Tweezers are great. You can just pick one out and drop it in. Or, I guess, you can try him on the medicated pellets for a week more and then try the switch again. But honestly, I'm not sure it's parasites now since the poop isn't whitish. Hmm.

I'll check back in later but I'm glad to hear he's active at least. That's a good sign.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 08:15 AM   #155 
scootshoot

I just had similiar issue with the female in my avatar. Had purchased some hornwort from petsmart, not sure if there were parasites or what not but a few days later my female (only one with this issue out of the 5 sorority) started acting real flaky, hiding in the corner, not eating, fins clamped.

Due to the great information on this board she is back to normal. Tossed her in a gallon Quarantine tank, added a teaspoon of AQ salt and raised the temperature to 80+. On the 3rd day she is back to normal. Fins open, lively and has her appetite again. Gonna keep her in QT an extra day before tossing back to her normal quarters with her sisters just to make sure whatever parasites was bothering her was completely killed off due to the salt treatment
scootshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 10:08 AM   #156 
bahamut285

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVC View Post
No rush on this Bahamut, it's fine if you see it when you check back here. Sakura, if you are around you can comment on what you think of this...

I hadn't done a water test for over a week so thought I would do one on the tank today.

The numbers were:

pH - holding at 7.8
Ammonia - 0.25
Nitrate - 0
Nitrite - 0
KH - 4
GH - 10

Last time I did the water test, my ammonia was between 0.5 and 1.0

I haven't done a PWC since then and despite the waste having accumulated in a week's time my ammonia has gone down. Still no nitrates and nitrites yet. Will I start getting those once the ammonia is 0? And when the heck is my ammonia ever going to get to 0??????????? It seems I am never going to get to declare this tank cycled!

I'm hoping the live plant has helped take care of some of the ammonia as well as the ceramic discs I added to my filter. Just thought I would post this update on the tank parametres.
It's good to hear that your pH is holding at 7.8. I don't remember if we established that there was ammonia in your tapwater or not? You may be doing too many water changes for the bacteria to eat properly. Darn, I seriously can't remember any of the previous things in this case. To be honest, I have never ever had a situation where my fish randomly died or got burns the second the ammonia went above the "safe" zone, I give them a little more credit than that.
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 08:47 PM   #157 
SVC

Hey all, sorry to reply so late. It's been a couple of busy days getting the kids back to school.

Sakura, PTG is always one to bend the rules! He's a revolutionary. lol That said, I gave him some pea last night and he still hasn't pooped!! He has always pooped just hours after the pea. :/ There is however some of that fuzzy stuff again! Ugh this boy is driving me nuts! If he doesn't poop I will give him some more pea tomorrow and see what happens. I don't want to resort to the medicated pellets every time he gets stopped up because I think that would be counter productive for when he really does need the medication. Oh btw, I did find some decaf green tea so I will try that at his next water change. It says it is naturally decafeinated with carbon dioxide. I'm just afraid to introduce the blood worms if he is already having issues. Do they have a laxative effect? If they do, I may try it.

On a side note, my tetra has this white thing right above his mouth. If anything you could say it looks like a tiny milk moustache. It doesn't look fuzzy, it's about a mm wide and could almost look like you took liquid paper and drew a moustache on his lip. What could that be all about?

Scootshoot, hello and thanks for sharing. I'm glad your girl got better with all the help from this forum. Everyone is really great here. I guess Aq. salt is really great at curing a lot. Only problem is I don't have an adjustable heater and can't get my temp up past 78 degrees. I think that is going to be my next investment!

bahamut, yes, upon testing my tap water, I did discover that it has about 0.25 ammonia in it to begin with. Also, at the time I may have been doing too may water changes to lower the ammonia but now my last two water changes were a week and 9 days apart and even after 9 days the ammonia was only 0.25.

Also, I don't think my fish died because the ammonia went above the safe level suddenly. I was struggling with the ammonia for quite a while beforehand and at some points it was between .5 and 1 ppm and I wasn't having any problems. Then I seemed to get over that hump and it came back down to .5 and then when I had the fish losses and the betta acting weird, I took my water in and it was at about 2ppm so they may have been struggling although not outwardly but when it spiked that high it hit them too hard. My pH had also crashed at that point so something wonky was going on and if my pH had not been that low, maybe the high ammonia would have taken the betta out too! Anyway, it is nice to know that things seem to be settling down some now although I must say those danios that are in there are sure messy things. There is so much poop in there!

Hope you all have a nice night!
Old 09-08-2011, 09:14 PM   #158 
bahamut285

And you got tetras in your tank right? Maybe try goldfish, xD
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 06:13 PM   #159 
scootshoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVC View Post

Scootshoot, hello and thanks for sharing. I'm glad your girl got better with all the help from this forum. Everyone is really great here. I guess Aq. salt is really great at curing a lot. Only problem is I don't have an adjustable heater and can't get my temp up past 78 degrees. I think that is going to be my !
Quarantine tank don't have to be that extravagant. All I have in my plastic hospital tank is a cheap stick on thermometer on the outside and a heating pad. When I see the temperature starting to hit the 85 mark I just unplug the pad. Both cost me a grand total of 5 bucks.
scootshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 10:01 PM   #160 
SVC

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahamut285 View Post
And you got tetras in your tank right? Maybe try goldfish, xD
Uhhhh yeah, been there, done that. No thanks! Besides, I can't seem to keep gold fish alive. Don't get me wrong, they're nice and everything but in the past when I have tried to keep them, it never ends well and yes they are messy, that I know!

The tetras weren't that bad though and my lone tetra is still in the qt now. There are only 3 danios in the main tank and all they seem to do is poop. When I use the magnetic glass cleaner, all the poop just goes flying in the water. yuk!