Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-09-2011, 10:28 PM   #161 
bahamut285

Oh, I meant just use them to cycle the tank. They cycle like a boss.
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 10:29 PM   #162 
SVC

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootshoot View Post
Quarantine tank don't have to be that extravagant. All I have in my plastic hospital tank is a cheap stick on thermometer on the outside and a heating pad. When I see the temperature starting to hit the 85 mark I just unplug the pad. Both cost me a grand total of 5 bucks.
oh yeah, my qtank is very basic. It actually sits clipped to the side of my main tank to maintain temperature but unfortunately my main heater is a preset kind (came with the tank I bought and I was a newbie so what did I know?) so I can't raise the temp to treat for illnesses. I need to get a better heater for my tank so that in case of something, I can't elevate the temp past 78.
SVC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 12:18 AM   #163 
Sakura8

Hi SVC!

Here's the golden question of the day: how's PTG doing? He's becoming my favorite little rule-breaker; I'm quite fond of him now and I love following his story. Is he digesting his food any better? I agree with you that resorting to medicated pellets every time he gets constipated or bloated is not a good idea. One frozen food you can feed that has a laxative effect is brine shrimp. It's not quite as yucky as bloodworms but they do kind of stink. Just use tweezers to pick out a teeny glob and hold it just under the surface of the water. PTG should come to nom right away.

Danios eat and eat and eat and poop accordingly but so far, the worst I've had as far as pooping are otocinclus cats. Maybe the ones I had were defective but just in the 10 minute ride from the store to my house, they filled the bag with poo. It was incredible how much they managed to get out in that time. I ended up returning them even though I loved them because they pooped so darn much.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 10:25 AM   #164 
SVC

Good Saturday to you Sakura! The golden answer of the day is that ... drumroll please... PTG had a HUGE poop yesterday! Now this is going to make you laugh, when I saw the poop in his tank, I thought my little snail had gotten in there! It was literally the size of the snail and it even looked like the snail shape because he had pooped all the pellets (brown) and the pea was still in a solid form tucked in there just as if it was the shell with the snail peeking out. It was too weird! Honestly, I started checking the tank to make sure the snail was still in there.

So that is my exciting news for the day and that's so sweet that you like my little guy so much! He is quite a little character, just like one of my human guys. On the second day of school the teacher of one of my twins told me that my son was hilarious and kept them entertained all day. I get that a lot. The other twin is more shy and quiet but this one is like the Tazmanian devil except cuter. So, I have a family of characters right down to my fish!

Yeah, you know, I was tempted a few times to take my danios back because they are just so dirty. Also, I don't think PTG likes that they have taken over his tank but the little guy is always making me worry so I never end up putting him back in because then I wouldn't be able to monitor his poop. I know, I'm being a tad overprotective I think. But he doesn't seem to be upset as he has never blown so many bubble nests as he has while in that qtank! Btw, wow on the o cats filling the bag with poop on the way home. I have heard that they are of the worst poop offenders. I definitely need to stay away from anything like that in my wall tank because I can't be in there every minute cleaning it out. I don't get how most people keep gold fish in those things!

How's everything in your neck of the woods??
Old 09-13-2011, 08:28 PM   #165 
Sakura8

Well I'm glad to see PTG's system is on the move again but I laughed pretty hard at the snail part. I'm glad the snail is okay though. Hehe, still funny . . .

I have to admit, I didn't really like my danios very much. They seemed like they were all spazz, like they had caffeine for blood. But they WERE pretty fish so I'll give them that. Maybe PTG likes a smaller tank. And don't worry, I understand what you mean about needing to monitor him. You're not being overprotective when you consider what a funny and unpredictable little system PTG has.

Everything's A-OK here. I've added 3 new bettas since last we spoke, I think. I think I need bettas anonymous now. The first step is admitting you have an addiction problem. The second is to avoid pet stores like your life depends on it, haha.

Anyway, I'm very glad to hear PTG seems to be stabilizing healthwise. Definitely keep me updated on the little guy.
Old 09-14-2011, 02:32 PM   #166 
SVC

Hey there, glad to see all your brood is doing ok and that you've added 3 more! What does your mom say about that??? lol I feel like I should be on my way to a 12 step program with PTG, I had to laugh with you and all yours!!! How do you have the room for all of them since none of them can be kept together? Btw, are your new ones rescues?

Yes, PTG is such a character and I have gotten really attached to him. I wish bettas lived longer than a few years but I'll be lucky if the poor guy makes it to old age. I don't know if you saw my other thread last weekend, but I nearly killed him with the green tea. In a nutsehell, I made up a batch of tea, let it cool and brought the temp exactly to 78 with ice cubes and conditioned the water and then took PTG out and rinsed out his container, poured the tea water in and plopped PTG in there. Luckily I had the sense to sit and watch him and he didn't react too well. He just got still and after a few minutes got pale under the beard and belly almost like he was queasy or something. I quickly made up a fresh batch of regular water with conditioner and took him out of the tea and put him in the fresh water. He started to get bubbles out of his gills again and I was afraid he was going to get swim bladder or something but he didn't. By the next day he was acting more normal and by the day after that he was building a bubble nest again. I wrote on the board to ask why he had this reaction and OFL mentioned that he probably went into osmotic shock because I didn't acclimate him to the chemistry of the tea water. DUH! I was so obsessed with getting the temp right, I didn't think that the tea might shock him. I will not be doing anything new to his tank anytime soon, I tell you!

Poor guy, no sooner does he get on the right path, something happens (usually at my hands) to push him down.

Btw, I'm glad you said you didn't like your danios much, it makes me feel better about not liking them much either. I felt so guilty like having a baby and saying I don't like this one. lol You're right though, they are very spazzy. My eyes got blurry just looking at them tear through the tank the first day! lol
Old 09-17-2011, 10:09 AM   #167 
SVC

Just wanted to post my latest water parametres taken today. I think we are finally getting somewhere!

pH - 7.8 (yay still holding)
Ammonia - 0.5
Nitrites - 0.25
Nitrates -5-10ppm

Last water change I did was about 8 days ago so we are definitely due for one today. I'm glad to see there are finally some nitrites/nitrates though just to show my cycle is finally getting there!

At this point how often should I do a water change to keep ammonia and nitrites down? Is a week apart good?
Old 09-17-2011, 07:21 PM   #168 
Sakura8

SVC, hi! Wow, you must have been scared when PTG went into green tea shock. I never even thought about that, I always just plopped the tea bag right in and never thought about it. I'm so glad PTG is okay but I guess we've ascertained that he's not a tea drinker, haha. Whew! But don't feel bad, SVC. Without your devoted care, I doubt PTG would have made it this far. You've done great with him and I mean that. He's a very lucky guy to have such a caring owner.

As for your water change question . . . hmm. I think a week apart sounds fine but I'm no cycling expert. If you're not sure, you can PM Bahamut or OFL or someone with more water chemistry knowledge.

Anyway, I'm really glad to hear PTG is doing okay now and I hope your weekend is going smoothly. Have fun!
Old 09-17-2011, 11:09 PM   #169 
SVC

Hey sakura, yes it did scare me with the whole green tea business. I guess putting the tea bag into the water is not the same as what I did because the tea bag will steep slowly in colder water and the fish will become gradually acclimated. I boiled my water first so the tea was pretty strong to begin with and then I just put him in the strong tea water so it was probably too much. Now, I'm even scared to put the tea anywhere near him. lol

Thanks for saying I'm not a horrible fish parent. I take such care with most things and then there are a few things that I don't think are a big deal and that is what ends up hurting them. I am learning though so that is a good thing.

As for the water, I guess a week is sufficient to do a water change because when I was doing them too often, I wasn't giving the bacteria a proper chance to develop with all the cleaning. I am hoping if I just keep going the way I am now, eventually my ammonia will taper off and my cycle will be done. Only then will I add any fish. So far though, the danios don't seem bothered even by the ammonia or nitrites. They really must be hardy buggers! The snail is ok too. Since PTG seems content in his little home, I think I will keep him there till the tank stabilizes. Hopefully the constipation issues will settle down too. He keeps getting bloated and I have to give him peas. Yesterday he pooped a huge "snail" looking thing again and today there were a bunch of really light coloured poops which I think were still remnants of peas. He needs to poop properly with the pellets too!

How's your new little guy doing? Is the swim bladder any better?
Old 09-18-2011, 12:15 AM   #170 
Sakura8

I think since nitrates have shown up, your tank is nearing the end of its cycle. Yay! You've been waiting so patiently for that tank to stabilize and cycle.

You might try feeding PTG frozen brine shrimp instead of pea in the long run. It'll be healthier for him and it has the same laxative effect too. Hopefully his system stabilizes soon. He hasn't had any more buoyancy issues, has he? So funny he keeps pooping "snails." He's hinting that he wants a snail roommate, maybe?

We all learn from what happens with our fish. They're great teachers, our little finny friends. Someone in the distant past had to learn the hard way all the things we now do to keep our fish healthy, like someone had to learn the hard way that the temps need to be the same or the fish can go into shock. So don't worry, fishkeeping is a learning process that never really ends.

Yeah, danios seem indestructible. I think they'd survive a nuclear fallout. O.O Convict cichlids are also like that so I know a lot of people use them to cycle larger tanks (convicts get up to 6" big). I'm glad the danios are working out for you as far as getting the tank to cycle.

My new little guy is still floating but at least he's floating upright and not on his side. Now if only he'd just eat . . . but we'll take it one day at a time. In the meanwhile, I really need to stay away from the pet stores. My fish "hospital" is running out of room.

Well, happy weekend! Too bad it's almost over, boo.