Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-17-2011, 02:21 PM   #71 
bahamut285

You can add sodium bicarbonate if you're impatient, lol.

I just don't know how much to add...at least not in aquarium circumstances

*huddles in corner reminded of first year chemistry* Q__Q
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 06:53 PM   #72 
SVC

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahamut285 View Post
(Sorry to butt in, lol) Please, never be sorry! :)

When I treated my goldies for ich, malachite green ALSO causes cancer in humans. Just wear gloves and try not to snort it or get it anywhere near your mouth/eyes xD Yikes! I treated with that blue staining stuff (Rid Ich) once and had a mini accident where it ran all down my arm. However, that formula contains "zinc free chloride salt of malachite green and formaldehyde". I think this is the less sinister version of malachite green? Anyway, I am sure one exposure is not going to be harmful - I hope...

I have heard rumours of decorations causing problems in tanks, but I have never encountered such problems. If you wanted to conduct that experiment, you'd have to put all your decorations into separate buckets and test water quality in all the buckets (I personally wouldn't have enough buckets xD) ummmm, I think I'll pass. lol Besides, it is only the one decoration that I was wondering about so maybe one day if I have some extra time on my hands and I see that my tank continues to be out of whack I'll give it a try. I tend to think though that if there was something leaching into the water bad enough to throw the numbers off kilter like that, it would have poisoned (and killed) the fish by now.

As far as I know, meds should TECHNICALLY not cause problems in your tank, because then that means it will be bad for a lot of other people too. However I don't doubt that there are probably medications that require a full water change and claim that the activated carbon in your filter will remove it.

Also no, lol, removing 50% twice is not the same as a 100%. That is just secondary dilution, which is why 100% changes are necessary in 1 Gallon bowls (unrelated, just example). haha can you tell I'm more an Arts type of person?? It's no wonder science was not my forte, although I'm fascinated now by all the science involved in this hobby!

According to your new readings, you're getting there. IDEAL KH should be around 7-10 dKH. I guess just continue to switch out water, see what happens.
Sounds like a plan. Hopefully, I will have a proper tank soon!
SVC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 06:59 PM   #73 
SVC

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahamut285 View Post
You can add sodium bicarbonate if you're impatient, lol. Actually, I'll refrain from adding things in the tank for now. I think impatience is what got me to where I am today! hmph

I just don't know how much to add...at least not in aquarium circumstances

*huddles in corner reminded of first year chemistry* Q__Q
Ahhh science class. I will never forget Mrs. Ford in high school. She scared the life out of everyone in class! I think she also threatened to throw stuff at the people that couldn't remember the periodic table.
Old 08-17-2011, 07:23 PM   #74 
SVC

Ok, I just had to share. I went out today to buy some medication for PTG. I went to Wal mart thinking they might have some and they didn't. They also had another pet smart there so I went in and they also didn't have the medicated food, BUT, the girl there was so nice she gave me a baggie full of both anti parasitic and anti bacterial medicated food for free. She brought it out from the back and said they used it for their new fish. I think there is enough to last me a year! She said I could feed it until the poop returned to normal and then once in a while preventatively. There is no problem with feeding two different kinds together. She said it would ensure whatever was in there got flushed out. This made me so happy! Tomorrow, I will start PTG on it. Fingers crossed that it helps.

Also, crazy me went out and bought another aquarium! I think I mentioned the wall aquariums that I liked. Well, I saw ones that I really liked online and they were priced pretty reasonably and the place was right across from the Big Fish store I went to before so I went in and bought one. Trust me, this time I will go into things with more knowledge and patience. Hopefully cycling will go smoother. I think I should try fishless cycling. Here is a picture of the aquarium. It's only 4.5" deep and hangs on the wall like a plasma tv. Yes, I know cleaning will be a big pain but they claim the maintenance is minimal. They had a panoramic model too which I really liked the look of but I found the actual glass to be too narrow. As a whole it looked gorgeous narrow and long, but what's the point if there is only a 7" space to view the fish so I went with the more rectangular one.

Old 08-17-2011, 08:58 PM   #75 
Sakura8

One other person on the forum has one of those, sunnydawnie. They're pretty stunning, aren't they? Will this be PTG's new home when he's recovered?

And I'm glad she gave you the pellets, that's great! Now hopefully PTG will eat them. Come on, PTG, take your medicine!
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 11:31 PM   #76 
SVC

Thanks! I do think they look fantastic. I can't wait to get it all set up. I'm not sure where PTG will go once he's better. The tank I have now is 10 gallons, and my new wall tank is only 9.3 gallons but it looks a lot bigger spatially speaking. I might leave PTG in the 10 gallon and put the new fish (I'm looking at some swordfish and some white mollies) in the wall tank. I think the schooling fish will look nice in there. PTG can have his own tank to himself. I think it will be easier to take care of him if he has issues again. The wall tank is not easy to constantly be digging around in. Hopefully he won't get lonely. If he does, I'l try to find some calm tankmates that won't bother him and vice versa.

Speaking of getting better, this fish is driving me insane. I just walked in to check on him a few minutes ago, and lo and behold, he is swimming around the bottom of the Qtank, like nothing was ever wrong with his buoyancy! What gives?? How is this bloat coming and going like this? He didn't even have any poop since this afternoon so it is not like he cleared his intestines. Anyway, I am going to start the medicated food tomorrow regardless, although I have a theory about how he might have relieved the air out of his system. I have his QT clipped to the side of my big tank with a fancy binder clipper -you know those heavy duty kind of paper clip things with the clip part being black and the tabs you squeeze being silver? Well the ones I have, have these solid round discs as the parts you squeeze and I had one of those pieces folded down into his tank so it wouldn't interfere with the lid staying on. Well, all day today, I noticed he was wedging himself between the clip and the tank wall. I think he was trying to squeeze the air out or something because he would swim around, take a breath and go right back under there. He must have succeeded and is now just great and he was flaring at me like the dickens! I think he's really mad being confined there. It's like he got his swim power back and now resents being there. Such personality! I hope the flaring doesn't cause him to trap more air though. Knowing him, he'll be bloated again tomorrow. I really hope it won't be a recurring things. Keep your fingers crossed. :)

Btw, I will check out that profile of the person you mentioned that has a wall tank too. It would be cool to see what their experience is with it. I will also update about it once I get it running. Might be a while though!
Old 08-18-2011, 10:12 AM   #77 
SVC

Ugh, PTG is back to floating again! Yesterday when he was ok, he was flaring a lot. Could that be a reason for this? Maybe when he's flaring, he's letting air in through his gills or something? It's right after that that he started floating again... last time too. Of course there must be something initially wrong because it never happened before when he flared but still.

Anyway, my house smells like garlic, here goes round one of medicated,garlicky food. Wish me luck!
Old 08-18-2011, 10:15 AM   #78 
Sakura8

I love your theory about how he's getting the extra air out! It could very well be, it's so hard to know with these fish. So maybe you will need to take him into your crazy LFS guy and have him rub his belly once a week. You know, the strangest part is until now I've never heard of extra air causing problems with the swim bladder which is also known as the air sac. Ironic, isn't it? PTG could be blazing new trails in the fish health department. I've heard of fish having chronic swim bladder problems but usually they don't get the bloat with it so hopefully PTG doesn't have a chronic problem.

I will definitely look forward to hearing how the medicated food works. Hopefully he'll eat it.

Oh, and so far my tetras are doing great. They're so gorgeous, I'm thinking of getting a few more. And your tetras are amazing. They're tenacious little survivors, aren't they? I hope they make full recoveries. A school of tetras would look great in that wall tank. *eyes wall space in hopes of being able to fit new tank in*
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 12:55 PM   #79 
SVC

Haha, maybe I'm just one of those fish mommies that thinks my fish is a genius. lol Apparently, it didn't work for long though. Seriously though, I just used basic logic about the sucking too much air thing. Although my crazy fish guy did tell me that sometimes it can be caused by gulping too much air but that shouldn't be the case for air breathers like bettas who are supposed to breathe air from the surface. Oh, and I won't be taking PTG in for a belly rub any time soon. I think that was a one time experimental treatement and it didn't work and I don't want to cause him harm by getting his slime coat rubbed off and then catching some other kind of infection. Hopefully he isn't a chronic floater. He wasn't before let's hope this incident doesn't make him one.

I tried the medicated food today, soaked in a little garlic/tank juice. He jumped at it but couldn't seem to get it to stay in his mouth and the stupid pellets are sinking kinds that he can't get at. I think he managed to get one pellet and bits and pieces of another so at least that's something. We'll see. Also, he seems not to be interested in the pellet once it is disintergrated into smaller flakes. He only likes them round. Spoiled PTG - He's such a..... princess. lol I tried putting them on the toothpick but it just falls apart.

I'm glad your tetras are doing great. They really are beautiful fish. I would love to put more in my wall tank but the background that came with it is very blue (supposed to be an australian reef background or something) and I don't think they will really show up against it. Also, I think they are a little delicate. Never mind the two here that are still alive despite nuclear warfare. lol I want to keep fish that are more hardy so that I don't have to keep going in there as it will be difficult in such a small space. Seriously though, I don't blame you for eyeing wall space. They also have round and square ones that don't take up as much space....
Old 08-18-2011, 03:20 PM   #80 
SVC

Just wondering, since eating the medicated pellets this morning, PTG's belly has gotten HUGE. Seems like the swelling is directly related to eating?

Oh, and a question about the tetras. When I look at them, it looks like their spines are a bit curved up. Of course, I have read about fish TB and needless to say I am paranoid about it because I have gotten plenty of water all over my hands. What is the likelihood of fish TB? Is it common? That said, it kind of looks like the tetras still have that gold dust look on them. Can velvet have the same symptoms (curving of spine) as fish TB, and wouldn't either of those killed them by now?

This is for you Bahamut,

I tested the tank again this morning and it seems like my KH is back down to 3 () and GH is 11.

Still no nitrates/nitrites and pH is at 7.8. Ammonia is still 0.25 but maybe a touch higher? Kind of between the two shades of lime green and my tank is getting cloudy again.

One other thing, I noticed that when you hold the vial of liquid up and look underneath, the colour looks different than when you just look at the vial straight on. I'm assuming you would just look at it head on since the instructions don't say otherwise. I guess I'm just grasping at straws because I'm never getting any differing readings. Trying to find user error, I suppose.