Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-10-2011, 10:49 AM   #1 
tlyons01

Should I be worried about the condensation

I have a 10 gall, it has a cheap hood. There are only splash guards over the actual bulb area and aluminum above them. I imagine that is for reflective reasons. My question is, should I be worried that there is condensation on the bulbs too? I lifted the whole cover this morning and water drops were hanging from the bulbs. I have coil CFL bulbs and the temp is higher right now because I am cycling the tank. So I expect there won't be so much when I drop the temps, but still... Has anyone experience with this issue? What can I do, it doesn't look like they make a condensation tray for this type of hood, it is a Regent brand. Walmart of course...
tlyons01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 01:43 PM   #2 
BETTA DET

I wouldn't be concerned. As water evaps and rises it hits the first solid thing and cools. Its normal.
BETTA DET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 01:49 PM   #3 
PewPewPew

Agreed :) If it really concerns you, crack the lid open ever-so slightly to help reduce the condensation.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 08:09 PM   #4 
tlyons01

alright then, I thank you both!!!
Old 08-10-2011, 10:12 PM   #5 
Thunderloon

Mostly your concern with water on the bulbs is to make sure you don't tilt the hood in a way that the water runs into the electronic housings. The sockets have gaskets on them but the voltage in the bulbs themselves is higher.

I occasionally have to clean off the long bulbs I get from walmart (the aquarium bulbs that have two long bar-loops) as they tend to collect minerals from bubbles and filter splash.

Some air flow under the hood should reduce condensation, propping the feed door open.

The bulbs themselves will cause evaporation from heat when running.
Thunderloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 10:40 PM   #6 
tlyons01

That was for sure my main concern, I don't want any water getting in those sockets when there are droplets hanging all over. I am going to keep the feed flap open and see how I do with that, thank you!!