Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-11-2011, 01:26 AM   #1 
MrNighttime

Two fast questions

1. Will females in a sorority gang up on weaker/stressed females? It seems The Furies have a hard time with blue girls. I lost one already as she was haranged a lot and had stress stripes. I took her out and she was fine all night. Next morning my g/f feeds her and she is swimming and less stressed. 10 mins later...shes dead.

My other blue girl seems to be stressed a lot too and the other gals are chasing her more since the other blue girl Dusty passed. And I wonder if bettas will weed out the weak ones.

2. Are bettas just natural pigs? I mean they always seem hungry and the girls especially are clamoring for more food anytime someone gets close. Pickle my VT male and Dazzler my plaket also seem to want to get grub every chance they can. My new crowntail Ash is getting used to things so he isnt as piggish. So are they just floating stomachs and should I be doing something to get them to not beg so much?
MrNighttime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 01:41 AM   #2 
PewPewPew

If you have that much fighting, to the point where one dies...I would say the sorority isnt working out for you. Yes, there will always be alphas and then there will be the weaker ones.

Bettas will eat themselves dead if you let them. Dont over feed!
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 02:18 AM   #3 
MrNighttime

Thats just it...they all get along great except for the blue one is suddenly getting picked on.
MrNighttime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 03:07 AM   #4 
PewPewPew

She must be the weak one... I would post your concern in compatibility to get more help on how to reduce dominant behavior.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 06:55 AM   #5 
Larsa

for an example, i added all 5 of my girls in a set up sorority tank all at once. they all freaked out at their new enviornment and were stressed for 5 mins and were flaring and chasing for a few days. There will be fights over an alpha for the most part, but some girls wont fight. My girls amaya and sakura fought over dominance big time. they ripped their fins right off 0.0 kimiyo is my omega- the weaker scared one of the whole bunch. she hides a lot and gets scared of the filter sometimes. she sometimes gets chased by my other girls. At day 6 they all got along and now no one flares or fights :P if its over a week and they are still getting nipped or torn, id take em out and seperate them for a while.

the alpha picks on everyone at first lol. the omega gets pushed around and may get chased a lot. I have noticed in odd numbers, sororities usually work. kinda like a wolf pack :) if you lost a girl, there may not be enough hiding spots or there may be one that is way to mean for a sorority. Take the mean one out and put her in " time out" ( i floated amaya in a cup for an hour as time out while her sisters could enjoy the tank) i strongly advise to get plenty of aquarium salt to help their fins :)

if a betta doesnt eat like a pig something might be wrong XD every betta i know even at the stores eat a lot and can eat themselves sick LOL. bettas always seem hungry... piggies :)

Last edited by Larsa; 08-11-2011 at 07:04 AM.
Larsa is offline   Reply With Quote