Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-11-2011, 12:59 AM   #1 
DNangel

Tank maintenance

I have a 3.6 gallon tank. I have two betta fish in it. A male and a female. I was wondering how many times do i clean it. week-week or every 2 weeks or 1-6 day period. I am not a fish expert and i am taking this down step by step. This is my tank.

By the way the water is a little cloudy because the way i took the picture *i also know i need to organize my tank.*

I used water conditoner too.

Any tank tips will help! *Including tank organization lol.*
Thank you for taking your time to read this post

DNangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 01:02 AM   #2 
guardianfyre

I would recommend separating your male and female betta. If they haven't fought already, they will. Males and females only want to be around each other if they're ready to breed.

About your plants...I'm guessing those are gold ribbon plants? Gold ribbon plants are a semi-aquatic plant. While they can survive for quite awhile fully submerged, they will eventually drown, usually at around the 6 month mark. When they do, they will destroy your water quality. I'd probably take them back to the store and replace them with something fully aquatic like an Anubias or a Java Fern.

Last edited by guardianfyre; 08-11-2011 at 01:08 AM. Reason: Added plant info
guardianfyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 10:41 PM   #3 
DNangel

Well i seperated them, thank you for telling me that, but i really need to know how many times i need to change the water, i couldn't find any threads over 3.6 tanks. I already saw a sick fish due to bad water changing, his fishy turned blue to orange...i love my betta fish and want whats best for it, SO IF ANYONE could provide me with any info, i'd really appreciate it and so would my halfmoon
DNangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 01:28 AM   #4 
Kytkattin

So at this point do you have 1 or 2 fish in the tank? With 1 betta you should do at least 2 50% changes per week (assuming you can get plants that will live). If you have the 2 of them (just divided) then you would need to probably do a water change every other day of 25%-50%
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank care