Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-11-2011, 06:32 AM   #1 
NCPanthersgurl

Exclamation Need help FAST, not sure either Betta will make it much longer... :/

Two Betta's, I'll answer the sticky for both. Most should be mutual answers, but when it comes to specifics I'll specify. Richtofen seems to have more time, Callisto though...

Housing
What size is your tank? Both have a 2 gallon Kritter Keeper {each}
What temperature is your tank? 78*
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Frozen Brine Shrimp, usually
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2x a day, morning and then night

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? Every other day
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Stress coat, water conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? N/A

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?

Callisto is basically the same color, but seems to have lost the control over swimming; just floats around. The underside of his head and gills turned a silver color. He's floating upside down and his gills are moving rapidly, like he's gasping. Clamped.

Richtofen is clamped, a bit paler, a bit bloated

How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
Neither have had appetite issues lately...
Callisto; floating rather than swimming...he's been pretty active up until the point, and I can tell he's trying to swim still but he doesn't seem to be able to. :/

Richtofen; motionless, floats towards the surface and doesn't swim unless stimulated.

When did you start noticing the symptoms?

Callisto; he seemed to have some minor buoyancy issues yesterday, I did his water change and added a small dose of epsom salt. Obviously it didn't help D:

Richtofen; started being more lethargic yesterday morning. Did a water change, thought that might help, no difference in appearance til this morning.

Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?

Callisto; added a small {approx. tspn} amount of epsom salt. Did a water change.

Richtofen; Did a water change, no special additives

Does your fish have any history of being ill?

Callisto; when I bought him he was a little ill, seemed like something with sb, but he got better with treatment and it was so minor I thought nothing of it. Figured it was from icky petstore water.

Richtofen; brand new, maybe have had him three days. Has been fine until now though...

How old is your fish (approximately)? Not sure, in either case. Had Callisto about a month myself, and Richtofen maybe three days.

I'm not sure what's wrong with either of them, immediate help would be appreciated, please! I have to save them! Richtofen has more time than Callisto, Callisto's counting seconds :'(
NCPanthersgurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 06:53 AM   #2 
NCPanthersgurl

Moved Callisto to a smaller QT...and I think I watched him die right before I took him from the Kritter Keepter...I walked over to the Kritter Keeper, said "I'll move you, you won't have to try so hard to breath." And his gills stopped moving, he didn't fight the net....Second Betta this week, and Richtofen's sick...Idk what's going on. I haven't changed anything and Mystique, Jazz, and Riot are thriving... :'(

Any help with Richtofen would be appreciated though...
Old 08-11-2011, 07:10 AM   #3 
earthworm88

So sorry you have lost Callisto. I am not able to help with your problem. Since you only had him for 3 days, may be he is just trying to adjust to his new environment. Only a red flag because your other one didn't make it. Just continue with the 1 tsp epsom salt dissolved in 1 gal of dechlorinated water for Richtofen with daily 100% water change. Have you got a picture of Richtofen? A picture is always worth a thousand words. I am sure someone will come along to help you with this.
Good luck!
earthworm88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 07:11 AM   #4 
DarkMoon17

I'm sorry about Callisto :(

Do you have well water or city water? Did you forget the conditioner?

Check them for parasites... Use a flashlight to check them for Velvet. They will look like they are sprinkled with gold.

How does his eyes look?

If you don't see any external parasites then add 2tsp/gal Epsom Salt to his tanks. Do daily 50-100% water changes. Add tannins/IAL/peat moss/or black water extract if you have any of them. Can you get any pics of them?

Last edited by DarkMoon17; 08-11-2011 at 07:13 AM.
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 07:32 AM   #5 
NCPanthersgurl

We're not sure what kind of water we have; we live in an apartment and don't actually pay a water bill. We believe it may be well just because there's three giant spring-ponds that the complex is localized around. And again, we don't pay water so it would make sense. But when I did the water change I was very careful to make sure I put the conditioner in, especially since I was worried about him being ill.

Also might wanna throw in that yesterday was water change day and Mystique, the 4-5 month old fry I rescued from Petco, is absolutely fine. Not sure if that helps or not, but it might rule out water at least. I use the same sink even for all their water >.<

Richtofen's eyes look normal. Callisto's were cloudy yesterday, but seem fine today...so I'm really not sure there.

Pics vvvv

I just took these so yeah...the Callisto one was a bit hard for me :(
Attached Images

Old 08-12-2011, 05:52 AM   #6 
Hisaki Yuki001

I'm not sure what it is, but I would think that it might be bacterial. Don't share anything used with your two little sick guy's tank with your other Betta just in case. If you could I would use Betta Rivive. It might help, as it helps treat against a wide range of infections, from bacterial to fungal, as I suspect that it may be some type of internal infection. Do 100% water changes and I would suggest what the other members above me suggested as well. Goodluck.
Hisaki Yuki001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 07:02 AM   #7 
NCPanthersgurl

Thanks. I've been leaning to bacterial myself. Hopefully he'll be alright; he has a full appetite still. :)