Wolfman2011

is my Betta sick or is it's fate worse

Housing
What size is your tank? 1 liter
What temperature is your tank? maybe 65F
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? No
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? Alone but next to another Betta in separate, same sized tank.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? NutraFin Max
How often do you feed your betta fish? a few flakes 2-3 times daily

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? about 2 times a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50 -100 depending on water condition (look&smell)
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? NutraFin Betta Plus

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? No

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? gone from bright pink to very pale, almost white
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Floats near top of tank, at abbout 30-45 deg angle. when fish goes to turn, it almost folds in half.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? lastnight after water change
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Did not feed this morning.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No
How old is your fish (approximately)?Unknown, was free after being a decoration at a wedding, about a month ago.

When I got the fish about a month ago, I went in to Pets Unlimited, they told me all I needed was the small tank/started kit. No mention of heat, or filter unit. Tank as 3 decorative stones, and the smaller pebbles in the middle of the tank base. with a pale background and bottom decoration that can be removed.

I will try to get pictures up when I get home if the fish is still alive.
thank you
Matt
Wolfman2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 12:36 PM   #2 
Grundylady

Bettas are tropical fish. They really need to be in 72-82 degrees F. 65 is WAY too cold.

If you slowly raise the temp of the tank (get a heater and a thermometer. ) I imagine that the fish will recover.

Good luck.
Grundylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 02:16 PM   #3 
Wolfman2011

Grundylady, thank you, i knew they were tropical but since the pet store had said all I needed was the starter kit i assumed i would be ok.. oops. I will be getting a heater, and thermometer.

-I forgot to say in first post, its tail looks clamped or curled over length wise.
-Also, I have been reading a lot about aquarium salt should I get some of this also?

I will still gladly accept any help with this little fish. (unsure of its sex, but would like to find out, will post picts when i get home.)

Last edited by Wolfman2011; 08-11-2011 at 02:23 PM.
Old 08-11-2011, 02:32 PM   #4 
earthworm88

is it one litre or one gallon tank? 1 litre is just way too small for a Betta. Anything less than 2 gal (about 8 litre) you need to change the water everyday to every other day. Seems like your betta is in some sort of shock. Don't believe everything the pet store tells you, sadly, most of them don't know anything, they are employed as sales person only. So you have to do your own research. Yes, it is way too cold for the poor betta.

Good luck making him/her better!
earthworm88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 02:45 PM   #5 
Wolfman2011

earthworm88: almost certain it is 1 liter, and yeah I was skeptical that the fish would not need heat, but was suffering the worse migraine i have had in years and was not on the ball.
Hopefully it is just shock from the water change. -fingers crossed *too bad there is not a fingers crossed emotion*

edit:: just checked it is a 2liter tank::

Last edited by Wolfman2011; 08-11-2011 at 02:48 PM.
Old 08-11-2011, 02:55 PM   #6 
earthworm88

Is it possible for you to put the tank somewhere warmer while you try to find a heater? You need at least 10F warmer, that will help with his immune system and metabolism and to recover faster. Also, get plain epsom salt and put 1 tsp in 1 gallon of dechlorinated water and dissolve it completely and pour into the bowl where your betta is. Do this for 10 days with daily water change. If he is hanging at an angle, may have SB issue. Is he able to eat? Does he perk up when you are near? Or is he just clamping up the entire time?
Have you got a picture to show us?

I will say a prayer for your fish to get well. He is probably in some shock right now and water temp may be the first cause.

Best of luck! cross fingers for you also!
Old 08-11-2011, 03:38 PM   #7 
Wolfman2011

earthworm88: I am at work right now, but as soon as I am home will get a picture and post it. i will see if i can get a space heater, for now. I only fed it last night, it played with its food a little, may have eaten some.

it is clamped up all the time.

Thank you, i will be home in just over a half an hour.
Old 08-11-2011, 03:45 PM   #8 
earthworm88

just be sure you don't have the water temp yo yo up and down, it's not good for them either.

I will be going to sleep now... but the sun is shinning in the west, so the experts will be here to advise you.

Take care and good luck!
Old 08-11-2011, 04:52 PM   #9 
Wolfman2011

here are some images, it looks like its tale has begun to split/breakup now. it seems to float mote normal, its colour is still vary pale.

please help save my little fish.(p.s is it male or female?)

Old 08-11-2011, 06:01 PM   #10 
Wolfman2011

It's Fate was worse

it is with great sadness that i must say my fish has passed away. it will be forever missed.