Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-11-2011, 01:18 PM   #1 
phsyco009

Filter and Cycle

I have a 10gallon tank and only 1 betta. I was wondering if cycling was necessary. Also my dad ordered a filter that's rated at 190gph I'm not sure how that translates into figuring out if its enough for a 10 gallon tank. Anyone know if its enough and if it is then do I need to baffle it to make sure the water stays still?
phsyco009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 01:55 PM   #2 
Draug Isilme

Quote:
Originally Posted by phsyco009 View Post
I have a 10gallon tank and only 1 betta. I was wondering if cycling was necessary. Also my dad ordered a filter that's rated at 190gph I'm not sure how that translates into figuring out if its enough for a 10 gallon tank. Anyone know if its enough and if it is then do I need to baffle it to make sure the water stays still?
I really don't know about filters, but what I do know is that if you want your fish to live a good while, cycling is pretty necessary >.> Just like you and me and any living organism, you need good bacteria-which is what cycling is for. If you haven't looked into it yet, you should definately look up ways on how to cycle your tank. There's a sticky thread for it under this section of forums, I believe ^.^

Last edited by Draug Isilme; 08-11-2011 at 01:59 PM.
Draug Isilme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 01:58 PM   #3 
Draug Isilme

Also, this is another thing you can look at to help understand how it works. Mainly the fish-in cycle, but it explains how the process works. Pewpewpew sent it to me when I was confused about cycling, so if you are, I'm sure it'll help, too ^.^

http://bettasplendid.weebly.com/cycl...r-dummies.html
Draug Isilme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 02:13 PM   #4 
Aven

You dont need to do anything special to do a fish in cycle, from my experience just do some frequent water changes and your tank will be fine in 4-8 weeks. Your tank will cycle itself eventually.
Aven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 06:08 PM   #5 
Oldfishlady

To establish the nitrogen cycle its important to understand the bacteria....

The nitrifying bacteria needed to establish the nitrogen cycle are alive and it needs oxygen, food source and surface area to colonize.....

The NB (nitrifying bacteria) are sticky and adhere to all the surface areas in the tank, in the top layer of substrate and the filter media...very little are in the water column itself and so water only change will not stall or hurt the process...but over cleaning can......too much vacuuming, over cleaning or changing the filter media, scrubbing all the walls and decoration too often or at the same time can stall the process and you may see ammonia spikes....

The water testing products we have only test parts per million (ppm) and so you will always have some level of ammonia in the tank, you also have products that can change the ammonia to ammonium and the test products can't tell the difference...the ammonium can still be used by the NB as a food source as well as live plants.
Once the NB is established it will remove both ammonia/ammonium

You can safely establish the nitrogen cycle with a Betta provided that you are willing and able to make the needed water changes.....

You can establish the nitrogen cycle in small filtered tanks (less than 5gal), however, due to limited surface area for the NB to colonize the nitrogen cycle is not stable and twice weekly water changes are still needed to maintain water quality.....

Water prams:
Ammonia 0ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrate 5-10ppm
pH-varies-you want to avoid extremes and sudden changes-generally Bettas will be fine and adapt to the source water pH

Ammonia and nitrite 0.25ppm and greater you need to make a 50% water change with like temp dechlorinated water
Nitrate-best to keep under 20ppm-over 40ppm it can start to effect the immune response, it can effect growth and development of fry and health of shrimp

Although-fish can tolerate a slow rise in nitrate and be fine....it is when a large water change is made and a sudden drop in the nitrate and usually the pH that can stress the fish often killing them or when new fish are added that came from low nitrate water...

High nitrate is usually caused from neglect or infrequent water changes, vacuum, over stocked, poorly stocked, overfeeding etc.....-along with the high nitrate in a neglected tank often the pH will also drop.

To be a good keeper of fish you first need to be a good keeper of water....

To name a few things that can change the cycling process-pH, KH/GH, water temp, CO2, bioload and live plants......depending on the number and species of live plants and growth state....it can change the whole ball game when it come to the nitrogen cycle......

Last edited by Oldfishlady; 08-11-2011 at 06:12 PM.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote