Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-11-2011, 01:59 PM   #1 
Amphibianite

need help, new betta isn't doing so well.

So I just got this brand new boy yesterday, and he was doing fine.
Today he started fine, and now he is lethargic, just kinda floating around the surface of his tank, not moving much. He can swim, but he is hanging out at the surface. I have a little more than half gal QT bowl ready (because it is all I have atm. I will be picking up a 1-2gal later) I was thinking of starting an epson salt treatment of 1 tsp.

He has a few ghost shrimp and 1 plant for tank mates other than that nothing. The water looked a little cloudy yesterday but I thought it was the water conditioner I put in and it began to clear in the evening. Yet still looked a little cloudy today. So I don't know what to do.

So please suggestions.... I am start the QT then now and do other treatments as needed. I am also preforming a 50% water change on the main tank as we speak. The tank is a 3.5-4 gal, water temp is 76 atm all the levels should be alright. I hope.
Also I noticed a off smell about the water... could the ammonia have spiked and its trying to cycle?
Amphibianite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 02:08 PM   #2 
fightergirl2710

Does he look pale or is he breathing hard? Any other symptoms? I don't think the tank should cycle or the ammonia should build up this fast.. I think what you're doing now is fine.. Change the water and see if he feels better first..
fightergirl2710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 02:12 PM   #3 
Amphibianite

adding a picture water is at 50% atm sorry for the poor quality...
Attached Images

Old 08-11-2011, 02:13 PM   #4 
copperarabian

if your worried about the water I would do a 100% water change(if there's gravel clean it really well), check the date on the conditioner.

Is your fish bloated? that's what epson salt is for. If he is just acting lethargic use normal aquarium salt with daily 50%-100% water changes.
copperarabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 02:14 PM   #5 
Amphibianite

He was already pale lol his color is a white pink naturally. I haven't noticed any really changes in color. Breathing is slow. He is just floating against the surface of the water and the glass. He barely reacts to me at all.

Copper - I though epson salt was used as a relaxer as well as a treatment. I do have AQ salt I can use. Oh an no he isnt bloated that i can tell

The thing about the water is it was sitting in the tank for 2 days with the filter and gravel, nothing else.

I will do the 50% change first see what happens here.

Open to more suggestions and ideas, and thanks to those who has already.

Last edited by Amphibianite; 08-11-2011 at 02:16 PM.
Old 08-11-2011, 02:24 PM   #6 
fightergirl2710

I don't think you need any salts at the moment.. Although a 100% water change sounds right, just clean water.. As copper said check the conditioner date as well.. Even if the water's been sitting for 2 days, that would only remove chlorine, there are other icky things in water that only conditioner can take out.. Do you have a thermometer? Once my tank water had gone up to 86 when my heater malfunctioned, made my betta very lethargic...
fightergirl2710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 02:25 PM   #7 
copperarabian

I don't know if it can be used as a relaxer or not, most people use tannins to relax their fish though, such as almond leaves, or black water extract.

Try bringing some conditioned tap water to your local fish store and have it tested, petsmart and petclub will do it for free. maybe there's something wrong with the water quality that is effecting your fish.
copperarabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 02:30 PM   #8 
dragonflie

The cloudy water sounds like a bacterial bloom. His behavior suggest ammonia poisoning (in my opinion).

Ghost shrimp have a very low bioload; so in my honest opinion I don't think ammonia should be building up that much (that fast) in the tank you have if it's only been a day.. Have you done a count of the shrimp? Is it possible one died or he killed one, and that you have a dead one fouling the water? A dead tank mate can foul your water considerably in a short period of time.

Last edited by dragonflie; 08-11-2011 at 02:32 PM.
dragonflie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 02:48 PM   #9 
Amphibianite

Fighter - the water is between 76 and 78 I checked before I did the change and then added water the same temp back in.

Copper - Thanks for the advice on the petstore thing I will try that. Also I don't have any of that stuff atm.

Dragon - the water went cloudy when I had just added them to the water itself. So I don't think it could be the bacteria bloom. As for him he can swim and move and go down if he wants, he is just preferring to hang at the surface and be lethargic. I am watching him, and he want's to stay in the one spot. My filter is a submerged and put off bubbles, the bubbles hitting the surface and move him a bit so he keeps moving back.

As for the shrimp... I can only find one of the 5 that were in there. Could he have decided to stop ignoring them like he did all day yesterday and have a midnight snack? AND him being so lethargic is him just feeling way too full and preferring to float than swim? BUT there are a lot of places for the shrimp to hide in this tank. The whole floor is large glass marbles and such, so they could hide anywhere.

He spent most the evening last night and this morning in his tunnel its just in the past while he decided to come to the surface to see what I was doing and hasn't moved from it.
I will be keeping a close eye on him and making updates here.
Old 08-11-2011, 02:54 PM   #10 
dragonflie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amphibianite View Post
Fighter - the water is between 76 and 78 I checked before I did the change and then added water the same temp back in.

Copper - Thanks for the advice on the petstore thing I will try that. Also I don't have any of that stuff atm.

Dragon - the water went cloudy when I had just added them to the water itself. So I don't think it could be the bacteria bloom. As for him he can swim and move and go down if he wants, he is just preferring to hang at the surface and be lethargic. I am watching him, and he want's to stay in the one spot. My filter is a submerged and put off bubbles, the bubbles hitting the surface and move him a bit so he keeps moving back.

As for the shrimp... I can only find one of the 5 that were in there. Could he have decided to stop ignoring them like he did all day yesterday and have a midnight snack? AND him being so lethargic is him just feeling way too full and preferring to float than swim?

He spent most the evening last night and this morning in his tunnel its just in the past while he decided to come to the surface to see what I was doing and hasn't moved from it.
I will be keeping a close eye on him and making updates here.
It is quite possible and normal to get a bacterial bloom even on a fishless tank. ;) For reference: http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?...oms-explained/

It is indeed quite possible that he did a number on your shrimp. They are probably very hard to see I know; but do your best to see if you can't find any remains of the ones you are missing, as this will most definitely foul up your water.

He could be behaving this way for a few reasons.

Maybe he ate the shrimp, and is feeling a little "full" so to speak. I'd give him a day or two off of regular food for now.

If he is avoiding the current in your tank he might be bothered by it. Bettas all have different preferences for such things. I had some that loved to play in bubbles..others that were very disturbed by it.

He may be affected by ammonia from dead shrimp.

So for now; see if you can find any dead shrimpies..and keep his water really clean, and see if you can't slow down the water movement some in case he's bothered by it.
dragonflie is offline   Reply With Quote