Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-11-2011, 04:46 PM   #1 
Cwaz33xNina

Tiny White Worms Floating Around In Tank?

So when I got home from work earlier I noticed alot of white dusty things floating around in my betta tank. My boyfriend looked closer and he said they "white dust" things were moving. They look like they could be tiny worms but they're floating around freely in the water. Both my 2.5 gallons are "infested", I have no Idea what they are so my bettas are in QT tanks with aquarium salt just in case :(

I did recently change from water with added aq. salt to completely fresh water recently because I added plants. The thing is I also planted my 10 gal tank and that one is fine.

Does someone have an idea of what these floating wormy things are? and if they're dangerous? help plz :(
Cwaz33xNina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 04:47 PM   #2 
Cwaz33xNina

OH both the infested tanks are filtered if that helps any...
Old 08-11-2011, 04:50 PM   #3 
Silverfang

it's probably planaria or some other such creature. I don't -think- they're bad per se, but I couldn't really tell you for certain.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 04:50 PM   #4 
dragonflie

Might be roundworms or some planaria. Neither will hurt your fish; and some might even get eaten by your betta.

Check this link for closer identification: http://www.planetinverts.com/what_is..._aquarium.html

Populations will grow if there's excess organic material for them to feed on. So just keep things tidy and you should seem them dwindle. ;)
dragonflie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 04:54 PM   #5 
Cwaz33xNina

eew. it still freaks me out. how do i get rid of them? should I try to vaccuum my substrate? cuz I havent done that since I added plants lol :/ There are seriously ALOT of them in there.
Old 08-11-2011, 04:57 PM   #6 
dragonflie

Lol it wouldn't hurt. Don't expect you'll get them all; you just can't. It's alot like pest snails, their population is directly related to how well fed the tank is. Feed lightly and up your vacuum regimen and it shouldn't take long for them to dwindle.

I know it seems gross, but trust me, you won't see them forever unless you overfeed. ;)
dragonflie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 08:16 PM   #7 
etcher

I've got them in my tank too!!! Ewe...
etcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 08:21 PM   #8 
SassyBetta

my tanks clean lol.... sory not funny , iv seen them befor in my moms tank and they do look nasty lol i wouldnt wana wake up and see that in the morning if i was a fish lol, tho my lil boys apig so i could see him trying to eat them all lol
SassyBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 02:45 AM   #9 
Sakura8

For planaria: It usually means you are overfeeding. Cut back on the food. To get rid of them, do a HUGE gravel vac and suck up as many of the buggers as you can.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 08:44 PM   #10 
dsgems

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonflie View Post
Might be roundworms or some planaria. Neither will hurt your fish; and some might even get eaten by your betta.

Check this link for closer identification: http://www.planetinverts.com/what_is..._aquarium.html

Populations will grow if there's excess organic material for them to feed on. So just keep things tidy and you should seem them dwindle. ;)
Thanks for the link. I believe I have hydra in my tank! Yuck!! I thought the little things attached to my tank were some sort of algae, then maybe worms, or tiny tiny tadpoles. Used your link and a magnifying glass. Looks like hydra. My betta is eating them. I had left the filter off a few hours, and when I turned it back on I could see the tiny white things coming out of side of the baffle. Your link said, they will not hurt grown fish. But I want to get rid of them NOW!

Last edited by dsgems; 08-17-2011 at 08:47 PM. Reason: typo
dsgems is offline   Reply With Quote