Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-11-2011, 05:18 PM   #1 
SassyBetta

Question Air stone in or out?

Hey guys i have a 10 gallon with my first lil boy, obsidian, in it and i was wondering if the airstone was needed for his tank. i asked my mom and she said it was needed to give the bacteria in the tank air and what not and that i shouldnt take it out. I on the other hand was worried my boy wouldnt make bubble nests because he sees the bubbles from the air stone on the top of the water already and will not make one or something like that ( yeah i know i think of some crazy stuff)
so i was wondering since i have not live plants in the tank if i need to keep the air stone in ? or if i can eventualy take it out.

AND second question is , do any of you guys have an air stone or bubbler in the tank and if so do your boys still make a bubble nest with it in there? yeah i think that covers it lol
SassyBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 05:21 PM   #2 
dragonflie

They don't technically need an airstone, no; but some of them like it, and some of them are annoyed by it, lol.

It's useful to have one on hand though, for certain circumstances where you might want to have more surface agitation; as in when you need to medicate for example.
dragonflie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 05:24 PM   #3 
SassyBetta

he doesnt seem to be annoyed by it or anything , but i just dont want it to discourage him from bubble nesting lol id really love to see that seeing how iv never seen one befor lol it keeps him away from the filter a lil too , doesnt really annoy him he just wont go like over to it much lol im trying to get a pump with a lower output than the one i have now, i mean i cranked it as low as it will go and it is still a bitch much. BUt yeah i just was concerned with it making it hard for him to make a bubble nest. tho i know hes new to the tank and wont be making one for a while till hes happy and settled in but yeah. lol
SassyBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 01:05 AM   #4 
Draug Isilme

You could always turn it into a good sponge filter if you still want to use it and your fish seems to do fine with it later in the long run. I was reading about sponge filters, and apparently having a regular filter and a sponge filter coupled together can make a great duo. Of course, that is entirely up to you, I just thought I'd bring it up on the off-chance it might interest you.

That aside, I hope your fish ends up making bubbles with the air stone! I've seen a few tanks where even in 2.5g, the betta can and will still make bubble nests. Although, the nests do seem to get a bit agitated... I believe that's one good thing on having a sponge filter, it'll help muffle the bubbles down so there is less agitation in the water, but please don't quote me on it on the off-chance I'm wrong >.>;; But that aside, I'm assuming it will really depend on the fish's preference on whether he's okay with making bubble nests with the air stone or not.. Either or, hope it works out.
Draug Isilme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 01:20 AM   #5 
crezelda

mine hated the airstone; he stuck to the plants and never ventured out
crezelda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 04:05 AM   #6 
Draug Isilme

Oh, and I know I'm probably getting old with saying to change it into a sponge filter, but I've been reading this one page (still reading xD) about them. While this is the standard filter they sell in stores, you'll still pretty much get the same benefits as you would if you were to make it yourself. Plus on this page, they give a few tips on how to lessen the agitation of your water, and I know that's your main concern for your betta. If anything, it also touches up on how its good to have, both, a regular filter and a sponge filter. Essentially the one picks up what the other one lacks, so its a good idea to have the two ^.^

http://www.americanaquariumproducts....iltration.html
Draug Isilme is offline   Reply With Quote