Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-11-2011, 07:21 PM   #1 
ShadowKat

Newbie Looking For Advice!

Hello everyone! I've been checking out the forum for a while, and I finally joined. I've got some questions, and I'm hoping for some advice on what to do.

I have a lovely little blue Betta that I got around Christmas last year. He's been living in a small 1-gallon and was doing fine until I got sick and was unable to change his water often enough. He got fin rot, but I've gotten it taken care of now. I've been saving my money, and in a few weeks he'll be getting a new 5-gallon tank with a filter and the works.

I'm getting a Hawkeye 5 gallon acrylic tank and I was wondering what to put in it for my Betta. My main questions are about gravel/substrate. I have in his tank now those small glass round pebbles, would those be good to use in his big tank too, or should I go with something bigger? I switched to those glass beads from regular aquarium gravel because it was difficult to get all the poop out of the small gravel when I cleaned his tank. Would that still be a problem with a filter?

I'm looking to go all-out on this tank, but I'm a little confused about what would be best for my Betta. I'd considered sand, because I love the look of it in one of my aquatic turtle's tanks, and its really easy to care for with him, but then I realized that the sand would be hard to care for with all the decorations in a betta tank (turning the sand is easy with my turtle, he digs up all his plants within a day or so).

Any advice on what kinds of plants? I've thought about getting a few live plants, mainly water wisteria, but I'm going to have to do more research before I get one.

I want to get a cave as well. I'm worried that most I've seen online/in catalogs are too rough and could hurt my Betta if he rubs against them. I saw some sort of glow-in-the-dark fossil cave recently that looked really smooth. Has anyone seen/used these before and are they any good, or would I be better off with something else?

Also, I used to keep a small bubble stone with a tiny air pump in Betta's tank, and I would only turn it on for a few minutes at a time. My Betta loved it, he would dart in the bubbles and get really active. I took it out after his fin-rot and have since not put it back in. I read somewhere that bubble stones are bad for Betta's. Would it be okay to put one back in the new tank, and only run it like I used to for a few minutes every now and then?

Thanks in advance for any help!
ShadowKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 08:12 PM   #2 
PewPewPew

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowKat View Post
Hello everyone! I've been checking out the forum for a while, and I finally joined. I've got some questions, and I'm hoping for some advice on what to do.

Woooot. Welcome.

I have a lovely little blue Betta that I got around Christmas last year. He's been living in a small 1-gallon and was doing fine until I got sick and was unable to change his water often enough. He got fin rot, but I've gotten it taken care of now. I've been saving my money, and in a few weeks he'll be getting a new 5-gallon tank with a filter and the works.

Fantastic. 5 gallons is perfection for one betta!

I'm getting a Hawkeye 5 gallon acrylic tank and I was wondering what to put in it for my Betta. My main questions are about gravel/substrate. I have in his tank now those small glass round pebbles, would those be good to use in his big tank too, or should I go with something bigger? I switched to those glass beads from regular aquarium gravel because it was difficult to get all the poop out of the small gravel when I cleaned his tank. Would that still be a problem with a filter?

Its really about preference here... In a 5 gallon tank that has a filter, you're not going to need 100% changes, which means gravel will become a more practical option for you. Personally, I like gravel over marbles, stones, etc. They hold plants and decor better, and tend to be easier to siphon with. You're gonna want to get a siphon and a bucket for your 5 gallon tank :) They're inexpensive. If you cant get a pre-fab one, you can get some clear tubing and just use it like that! lol!

The filter isnt going to suck up what you have, and will not suck up the gravel. If it can, itll also suck up the fish. But it wont, dont worry. I suggest you buy some aquarium sponge (not regular sponge, please) and use that as a baffle for your filter. :)

I'm looking to go all-out on this tank, but I'm a little confused about what would be best for my Betta. I'd considered sand, because I love the look of it in one of my aquatic turtle's tanks, and its really easy to care for with him, but then I realized that the sand would be hard to care for with all the decorations in a betta tank (turning the sand is easy with my turtle, he digs up all his plants within a day or so).

Any advice on what kinds of plants? I've thought about getting a few live plants, mainly water wisteria, but I'm going to have to do more research before I get one.

I suggest you think about the substrate you want, and then plants.. If you want sand, some plants may not be as happy in it as they would gravel, or they'd get knocked out easier. You will need either gravel or sand for most live plants (anubias and java fern excluded), so they can root. Marbles, gems, etc, will not cut it for them.

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=76428

I want to get a cave as well. I'm worried that most I've seen online/in catalogs are too rough and could hurt my Betta if he rubs against them. I saw some sort of glow-in-the-dark fossil cave recently that looked really smooth. Has anyone seen/used these before and are they any good, or would I be better off with something else?

Is it those cool skulls they sell at Petsmart or Petco? If so, those are usually fine. As for caves, just to let you know- theyre not needed. If you have enough cover in the tank like plants, etc, the fish will be just as happy. Some bettas dont even go into caves. Theyre fickle.

You can use terracotta pots, too- just remember to seal the hole at the bottom with something, or buy ones without the hole. The cool thing about terra cotta is that theyre not only cheap, but plants like anubias and java fern will tether to them easier than fake decor. They can also be broken (and then sanded gently) to create a cool effect,...while still functioning as caves.

Also, I used to keep a small bubble stone with a tiny air pump in Betta's tank, and I would only turn it on for a few minutes at a time. My Betta loved it, he would dart in the bubbles and get really active. I took it out after his fin-rot and have since not put it back in. I read somewhere that bubble stones are bad for Betta's. Would it be okay to put one back in the new tank, and only run it like I used to for a few minutes every now and then?

Thanks in advance for any help!
Bubble stones arent bad for bettas, just not needed. Bettas dont breathe air, so there's no sense in really having one.

If you're gonna get live plants in your tank, dont use the air stone. The air stone's gonna push out cO2 that the plants really want and need from the water via the bubbles it makes.

You could add it, though- even with the plants. If he really likes it, then try it out. If the plants appear to be unhappy, I would discontinue its use.
Id also say live plants before the stone, hehe ;) They do wonders for a tank!
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 08:20 PM   #3 
SassyBetta

wel as for the cave thing such as a hiding place for him i personaly use a ceramic tea chut or coffee cup my lil guy loves it and a few low plants next to it lets him hide and feel protected. iv seen teracotta pots used aswell on their side and some break the side of one open and stuff they can get in and hide if they wana. i havnt really seen any smooth caes , most are textured to look like rock so thus not being smooth, and iv seen some bettas just destroy their tails on rough plants and decorations and thats never fun
SassyBetta is offline   Reply With Quote