Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-11-2011, 07:37 PM   #1 
NCPanthersgurl

Talking Meet Starscream and Gandalf! {can anyone ID what type Starscream is??}

Okay! So I got two new Betta's today; my boyfriend felt bad that Callisto passed this morning and took me to Petco. I found Starscream and said ohhh he's got so much potential! And then I saw Gandalf and went ohhh but the colors! Then I remembered Callisto was the second to pass this week :'( and that I did have two free tanks......soooo introducing my two newest!

Gandalf, another male VT. I'll try to get a better pic of his colors soon.

Starscream. Now my trouble with Starscream is, in the store he was labeled as a halfmoon. He's actually a halfmoon double tail and I didn't even realize it til I got home. That's what I think anyway; but then I was looking at his fins and they're slightly spiked. Halfsun? Combtail? Anyone know what he is? 0.o Again, I'll try to get a better pic; he's much more red than this and the purpleish color on his back is much more noticeable.
NCPanthersgurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 08:18 PM   #2 
Abby

could it be a tear in his fin? n the spiking could just be a throw back t the poor breedig of local pet store suppliers
Abby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 08:21 PM   #3 
NCPanthersgurl

Erm. No. He's very clearly a double tail. The part I'm doubting is that he's just a halfmoon.
Old 08-11-2011, 08:25 PM   #4 
SassyBetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby View Post
could it be a tear in his fin? n the spiking could just be a throw back t the poor breedig of local pet store suppliers

yeah abby lol i just literaly picked my laptop up and fliped it upside down to read your lil green part at the bottom of your sig lol ( yes i know im a lil silly but it comes with the haircolor lol cant help it)
SassyBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 08:29 PM   #5 
Abby

being a perstore fish hes probably just crossed with what ever they have with no direct line as to waht they want to breed really just breeding for numbers.

None of my comments are rude just wondering as you did ask. we couldnt pssibly tell you any more on his tail unless you can get DECENT pictures of him fully spread and flared up.

and frankly the way you wrote your reply sounds a little rude. i glanced at the picture and as stated its hard to see because hes not flared or fully side on.
Next time, before asking for help on tail type, try getting a side on fully flared picture. It will be easier to see.
Again NO OFFENSE IS MEANT
Old 08-11-2011, 08:31 PM   #6 
Abby

Quote:
being a perstore fish hes probably just crossed with what ever they have with no direct line as to waht they want to breed really just breeding for numbers.
I say this with experience as we are getting a lot more spiked and comb edges to our LFS and i know this also because im in there for pretty much every shipment and im good friends with the worker there whos big into Bettas.
Old 08-11-2011, 08:32 PM   #7 
Abby

Quote:
Originally Posted by SassyBetta View Post
yeah abby lol i just literaly picked my laptop up and fliped it upside down to read your lil green part at the bottom of your sig lol ( yes i know im a lil silly but it comes with the haircolor lol cant help it)
LOL and pray tell what colour is that?
Old 08-11-2011, 08:36 PM   #8 
NCPanthersgurl

Quote:

None of my comments are rude just wondering as you did ask. we couldnt pssibly tell you any more on his tail unless you can get DECENT pictures of him fully spread and flared up.

and frankly the way you wrote your reply sounds a little rude. i glanced at the picture and as stated its hard to see because hes not flared or fully side on.
Next time, before asking for help on tail type, try getting a side on fully flared picture. It will be easier to see.
Again NO OFFENSE IS MEANT
I understand how petstore breeding works. Your comment about the picture was very rude, and I do take offense. He's adjusting to a new tank, I feel it's a bad time for vanity shots. But if you look closely even in this pic you can see the clear divide at the end of the tail, which is in fact a double tail.

My prior comment wasn't meant to be rude, and you said "I did ask" but again, I wasn't questioning the double tail. I was questioning if he's truly a half moon.

And yes, I take large offense. This comment was rude and unnecessary. I'm sorry if my original comment was mistaken as rude; again, I was clarifying that I was NOT in fact questioning the double tail.

Is this a clearer shot for you? I took it at the same time. I do not feel comfortable making new fish flare an hour into being in a new tank. I'm not sure what the white spot on his nose is; in real life it's not there.

Please don't insult someone and then say no offense like it'll make things better. I do find your comments rude and insulting and would like it if you would refrain from such on a thread where I'm asking for opinions, not insults on quick photography. Thank you.
Attached Images

Old 08-11-2011, 08:45 PM   #9 
Pitluvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCPanthersgurl View Post
Please don't insult someone and then say no offense like it'll make things better. I do find your comments rude and insulting and would like it if you would refrain from such on a thread where I'm asking for opinions, not insults on quick photography. Thank you.
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 08:45 PM   #10 
Abby

if you think that was an insult your mistaken.I truly did not mean to upset you. if you ask for opinions on tail try and post a clear picture. this is something that EVERYONE else asks for. not just for my sake.

I check the fishes flares before i pick them at the store. and when i get home they get put in a tank and photographed.
this also lets me note any problems and i give them a chance to adjust then ill put a mirror up. some flare some dont it helps me pick their bay in the big tank. not one of my fish have been stressed or sick after it. My ct 1/2 giant even has a large nest today even after being baged transported floated unbaged tanked baged transported tanked containered and tanked all in a matter of like 9 hours.