Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-11-2011, 07:39 PM   #1 
diablo13

TetraWhisper Question?

Hey guys, I was just wonder about the filters, I have a 10i internal in my 10 gallon and I'm thinking about getting a PF10 for my 5 gallon, I have already started cycling the 10 and plan to cycle the 5, but while looking up the power filter, I read that both " Elimenate Toxic Ammonia and Nitrates", So I'm asking does this remove ALL Ammoni and nitrates or just some so my tanks still have the possibility to cycle?
diablo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 11:50 PM   #2 
Nexangelus

I could be wrong, but the PF10 may not have an adjustable flow output. It may be a little strong, but check around online to see what people say about the flow. The elimination part is more of a gimmick to make it sound more appealing to those who aren't familiar with cycling. Activated carbon always does this to some small degree, as does beneficial bacteria. There's nothing special about them in that regard.

To answer your question, it's perfectly fine to use while cycling. Don't mind that pesky little gimmick they tacked on. :)
Nexangelus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 07:22 AM   #3 
dragonflie

Agreed on the carbon. You could always cut a slit into the cartridge and remove the carbon if you want.
dragonflie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 07:48 AM   #4 
diablo13

Thanks guys, but the PF10 I may get isn't even for a betta. It's for my possible future dwarf puffer, they don't mind current :D but it has to be cycled fir them, so just wanted to make sure :D
diablo13 is offline   Reply With Quote