Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-10-2011, 03:20 PM   #1 
Mollzo

Exclamation New betta has red spots on head, and curled/clamped fins?

I got a new betta on monday, and when I got him, he had the red spots on his body, and his fins are clamped and curled. And his gills are bright red. I held up a mirror to see if he showed interest, and he did, but he couldn't flare up completely. Do you think he's super sick? Or is he just stressed from going from the petstore to where he is now? Any Advice is greatly appreciated!!
Mollzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 03:27 PM   #2 
Sakura8

What color is he? A lot of paler colored bettas have reddish spots on their heads. My red Cambodian has a big red "toupee" on his head. He is probably just stressed. It can take new bettas anywhere from an hour to a week to adjust to their new home.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 03:34 PM   #3 
Mollzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
What color is he? A lot of paler colored bettas have reddish spots on their heads. My red Cambodian has a big red "toupee" on his head. He is probably just stressed. It can take new bettas anywhere from an hour to a week to adjust to their new home.
He's kinda of a weird colouring to him. He's got a white body, with blue fins that have a purpleish-pink hue to them, almost holographic. It's pretty sweet to see. I mean, he eats and swims fine, but it's those red spots that concern me the most. I don't want to have to wake and see and belly up, and I constantly check in on him during the day.
Old 08-10-2011, 03:36 PM   #4 
Sakura8

Can you get a pic of those spots? And are the spots raised at all? How big are they? It sounds like your guy is a blue Cambodian.
Old 08-10-2011, 03:52 PM   #5 
Mollzo

I tried, but my camera sucks, and they were all blurry :( But some of the spots seemed to have disappeared over night, but it looks like circles, just the perimeter, nothing in the center of it. And I tried the mirror trick, and his fins aren't as clamped

But here's a pic off of Facebook for his fins

Hoping it works. If not, here's the link to it

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...type=1&theater
Old 08-10-2011, 04:00 PM   #6 
Sakura8

Yeah, it's really hard to take pics of bettas. I get blurry butt shots of mine all the time.

It's weird, it almost sounds like your betta has ringworm. I would keep an eye on those spots, see if any more develop or disappear. If they haven't all gone after a day or two, you might want to start a fungal medicine.

It's pretty normal for a betta to clamp his fins during the first few days in a new home. Since he's flaring, that's a good sign. I think once he settles in his fins will open up more.
Old 08-10-2011, 04:04 PM   #7 
Mollzo

Fish can get ring worm? Huh, didn't know that. But yeah, his fins have spread apart, and he is starting a bubble nest :D Which makes me happy. I'm glad its nothing super serious, though
Old 08-10-2011, 04:11 PM   #8 
Sakura8

I really didn't think fish could get ringworm either but I guess if they can get other fungal diseases, it makes sense they can get ringworm too.
Old 08-10-2011, 06:17 PM   #9 
Comet1993

I'm glad he's doing better. :) He sounds really cute!
Comet1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 08:15 PM   #10 
Mollzo

Yeah, I held up the mirror, and he flared, except for the very tip of his dorsal fin and the two bottom from fins, but he's eating like a champ, so I guess it was just stress, and hopefully the 50% water changes that I'm doing daily will help the red spots on him. But is there anything I can do to prevent diseases in the future?