Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-11-2011, 09:24 PM   #1 
Lenacara

White stuff coming out of a dot.

Hi everyone, just joined this thread in hopes of saving my fish. I did go to a pet store that has always been very knowledgeable concerning fish. They actually told me I needed a very big tank for my goldfish when one got sick and they now live in a 75 gallon palace for the 6 of them. Anyway the gentleman there said it was probably a virus and that I would only be able to get rid of it by using a blade to scrape the white spot off of the fish. He still sold me the fungus cure just in case that is what it was, but it didnít help at all. So I am terrified of doing that and killing him by mistake when he doesnít appear to be bothered by his growth. I did just lose his tank mate about 6 months ago from a growth that didnít bother him though. I think that was a tumor as it was internal and it showed up as a bump then over 4 months grew quite big till my little Will gave up his will to live.

Housing
What size is your tank? 20 gallon
What temperature is your tank? 78
Does your tank have a filter? yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? The little balls that come in a packet
How often do you feed your betta fish? Once a day

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? Once a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50%+
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Aquafin+

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? Not recently but he has heavy filtration and the tank is very clean. It has been up and running since September of last year and I did test with the drops until a cycle was well established.

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? He has a spot on his chin. Itís white and the skin around it looks like itís a little crater. I would say itís the size of a large pin head. The white stuff is kind of hanging out of it but sometimes it looks like its just a small spot. It hasnít spread to the rest of his body.

How has your betta fish's behavior changed? No change
When did you start noticing the symptoms? A month or so ago.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? I did give him some medication for fungus but it didnít make any difference to his spot.

Does your fish have any history of being ill? No this is his first time. He was in a divided tank with a beta that passed away about 6 months ago from a large growth. I think it was a growth. I was unable to treat it and he acted fine with the tumor growing right up to the day he died. He was a few months over 3 years in my care.

How old is your fish (approximately)? I have had him around 2 years.
Lenacara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 09:39 PM   #2 
Silverfang

For the love of your bettas life! no cutting!!!
I have no idea what this is, if it might be a parasite or some sort of infection, but it's a good thing you didn't try as the petstore guy suggested.
IF you could get a picture of the spot it would definitely be helpful.
Now after probably scaring you half to death... (Sorry! just it would be such a bad idea), I must confess I really am not sure what you could do for him. When in doubt with a sick fish, keeping him in clean water is the best thing. You might need to move him to a smaller quarantine tank. A plastic container, or cup, or even tupperware container left to float in the main tank is fine, and it will help him keep warm.

I hope someone else can give you better treatment options for him.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 09:43 PM   #3 
Lenacara

Why should I quarantine him if he is the only one in the tank? It can't be to big can it? I will try to get another picture today. All I have is my cell phone and he is so dark that it end up looking like a white smudge on a black fish.
Old 08-11-2011, 09:50 PM   #4 
Silverfang

the quarantine tank is just to make it easier to do water changes. When treating a fish usually daily 100% water changes are advised. But like I Said, I'm not sure what his problem is, so I don't really know what to suggest for treatment other than keeping his water super clean.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 09:53 PM   #5 
Lenacara

That makes sense. I'll test his water tonight to make sure it's alright but I have an awesome syphon that hooks to my sink so he gets large changes weekly and I can easily do it daily if needed.
Old 08-12-2011, 02:53 AM   #6 
Sakura8

Hi Lenacara and welcome to the forum. Can you describe this white stuff that is coming out of the hole? Is it white and stringy? If so, your betta may have a parasite, like an anchor worm. A pic or a really good description would be great.

Also glad to hear your goldfish are in a nice big tank.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 02:46 PM   #7 
Lenacara

The stuff coming out looks a lot like like cotton. And there is always a little bit, sometimes it looks longer than others. I looked at the pictures of anchor worm and it definitely isn't that. I tried to get a picture of him but he is in such a big tank that I canít get a good one. Iíll try to put in him a glass and film a video so you guys can see what it looks like. I think there might be another spot starting on his back but I didnít really get a good look at it before work.

On a side note, my old beta used to freak out of the lights were on and his tail would split if I left it on for anything longer than a couple of hours. Now that he is gone, Iím wondering how much light I should give Charlie. He comes up to the top when I turn it on for food and I usually turn it off when he is done eating.
Old 08-12-2011, 03:24 PM   #8 
Lenacara

This is the best I could get for a pic and it's the new spot I just saw today.
Old 08-13-2011, 12:02 AM   #9 
Sakura8

Okay, I'm glad we ruled out anchor worm. So, kind of cottony. Okay. For the moment, I'm wondering if he has some missing scales with slime coat coming off. How deep are the holes?
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote